Corporate Changes at Cat & Poo

revrnd

https://snowgoer.com/press-releases/big-changes-atop-polaris-arctic-cat-snow-teams/29483/?oly_enc_id=3570I5128245I2X

A guy from General Mills?

Reminds me of GM Corp' hiring John F Smith from P&G back in the 90s...

"News" out of Cat would be that they were actually going to see aboot producing motor toys for big boys again at some time in the future.

At this point - Cat aint on the radar hardly any more that Yammi. 

Textron didn't seem to doo much good for Polaris in the 70's.

Doesn't appear to be making headway here either.

They must make some bucks somewhere, but it Shirley aint been in the toy market.

(apparently they are big in military)

Talking off the top of my head, but I imagine the ORV business of BRP, Polaris, Textron & Yamaha would encompass the world while the sledding business is limited. 

On Instagram I've seen videos of a couple of ranchers in Oklahoma & Nebraska using Ranger UTVs. Those 2 units are probably more than the number of sleds Poo sells in those 2 states

:poke2:

14 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Talking off the top of my head, but I imagine the ORV business of BRP, Polaris, Textron & Yamaha would encompass the world while the sledding business is limited. 

On Instagram I've seen videos of a couple of ranchers in Oklahoma & Nebraska using Ranger UTVs. Those 2 units are probably more than the number of sleds Poo sells in those 2 states

:poke2:

But Cat aint any of those.

Cat barely has an ATV/SxS business at all, and when Text bought them, they relabeled them "Textron" for a few months, and doo to overwhelming fussing, they re-issued new CAT nameplates and stickers to be put on them.

My chum was a dealer for them at the time and of course they made it all sound like it was going to be "HUGE", and yet, here we are - what - 4 years later by now?

3+ anyhow....

Yunno, those hold-over sleds are gone by now ....

If it wasn't for the Alpha, IDK if they'd even be selling sleds at all hardly?

• Like 1

Sleds make f-all in the scheme of “big” business.

1 hour ago, Spiderman said:

Sleds make f-all in the scheme of “big” business.

Pretty much the truth.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Can-Am's HQ in Texas? Not sure if that's to be close to their assembly operations (Mexico) & still be in the US or to be central to their market.

Probably easier to attract outside talent to work there than Valcourt.

I don't know the actual numbers....but for a back of the envelope calculation.....if Textron annual revenue is around 12 billion usd, and if Arctic Cat annual sled revenue is around 120 million usd, the sleds would be around 1% of Textron's sales.

13 hours ago, revrnd said:

https://snowgoer.com/press-releases/big-changes-atop-polaris-arctic-cat-snow-teams/29483/?oly_enc_id=3570I5128245I2X

Reminds me of GM Corp' hiring John F Smith from P&G back in the 

13 hours ago, revrnd said:

Reminds me of GM Corp' hiring John F Smith from P&G back in the 90s...

He was there for 6 years leading a few divisions.

And he has a MBA.  That’s all that is relevant now in this world.   

14 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Cat and Yammi who?. :icon_munching:

Yamaha Corp has enough pocket change to buy the entire sledding industry.....That who

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ontariof7 said:

Yamaha Corp has enough pocket change to buy the entire sledding industry.....That who

As does Textron

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ontariof7 said:

Yes, and they are also smart enough to invest where there is a return - and it isn't on sleds.............

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

As does Textron

True, but what rationale is it for a company to buy something that from all appearances doesn't really care about any of that business? Yes, buy Cat if the ORV portion was thriving, but it seems to be an after thought in the buying public. Heck I see more Kawi' product going thru here.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, revrnd said:

True, but what rationale is it for a company to buy something that from all appearances doesn't really care about any of that business? Yes, buy Cat if the ORV portion was thriving, but it seems to be an after thought in the buying public. Heck I see more Kawi' product going thru here.

I have no facts...only my opinion. Most companies do not buy the brick and mortar, that is easy to start. Most companies purchase a contract or Intellectual property. Guessing Cat had IP Textron wanted. Again, no idea what but Cat sold it.

Edited by ontariof7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ontariof7 said:

I have no facts...only my opinion. Most companies do not buy the brick and mortar, that is easy to start. Most companies purchase a contract or Intellectual property. Guessing Cat had IP Textron wanted. Again, no idea what but Cat sold it.

Does Textron have any other business that they could apply it to?

I had my corporate raider hat on & was thinking yes they buy Cat for the ORV portion and then divest the sled business to someone else or discontinue it.

Back in the 80s KKR bought Houdaille (they owned the bumper stamping operation on Simcoe St in Oshawa) & promptly shuttered the company leading to a multi day sit in resulting in severance pay laws in Ontario.

Fast forward several years & I saw that Houdaille (pronounced who-dye) manufactured high performance harmonic balancers for engines. Not sure if they're still around.

EDIT I checked Google & apparently not. I think Fluidampr(?) was similar.

It would appear to me, and I have been wrong many times, that Textron picked up Cat for a tax write off and a dealer network for their ATVs. Much like Joe Hrudka did to Rupp Industries back in the 70s. Difference being, Hrudka was not in any ATV business. 

Textron might see an opportunity.

130,000 sleds sold globally yearly.

100,000 sleds sold in North America.

4 manufacturers.  

If Textron has a new idea or twist for the sled market there is only 3 competitors to compete against.  

Might be a better or easier opportunity in sled market to gain / build business then in other markets.

Or Maybe their EZ Go golf cart business and it’s electric capabilities will be flipped into ATV or sled line and they could perceive an advantage for future.

• Like 3