May Snow For TD

revrnd

This morning in Timmins

Resized_20210510_072350_4795.thumb.jpeg.91b07597f033ed8b7f89e78d4a96bb67.jpeg

On 144 near Gogama today as well

16206878328791773484188133218865_23480018008704.jpg.705c736f455ed0ec55f6b77b17cd3794.jpg

@irREVerent I could say something but I'll be nice for a change...

• Haha 2

It snowed for prolly 4-5 hours here yesterdee.

Didn't stack up here, but my chum on the other side of the Indiana line said that the ground was white over there.

I've never driven it in the winter. I did run it southbound 1 fall & came a float w/ a excavator on it in the east ditch between 101 & T-C-P Lake. Too much speed on a downhill curve. A couple of years ago there was some construction near Gogama to reduce 2 curves.

10 hours ago, revrnd said:

I've never driven it in the winter. I did run it southbound 1 fall & came a float w/ a excavator on it in the east ditch between 101 & T-C-P Lake. Too much speed on a downhill curve. A couple of years ago there was some construction near Gogama to reduce 2 curves.

@Evil and hubby run that hwy darn near every weekend during sledding season. They say it can be quite adventurous..

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, revrnd said:

On 144 near Gogama today as well

16206878328791773484188133218865_23480018008704.jpg.705c736f455ed0ec55f6b77b17cd3794.jpg

@irREVerent I could say something but I'll be nice for a change...

Why start now?...🤪

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, irREVerent said:

Why start now?...🤪

My New Years resolution?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turbo Doo said:

@Evil and hubby run that hwy darn near every weekend during sledding season. They say it can be quite adventurous..

No doubt! A couple of posters on Faceplant & my friend who took the 1st pic (lived in Timmins in the 90s) all said it's not forgiving as there are no shoulders if you get off the pavement or have to pull off.

Driving up to visit was a long boring drive especially after you passed Cartier. Leave work @ 11 AM, hit the bank. Grab a bite and gas in Evilland then roll into Timmins after dark. 

I've had a few ass puckering moments on the 144.  We would go up to shining tree 2-3 times a year and meeting logging trucks in a snow storm definitely kept you on your toes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

A bit late for that.:ph34r:

Not that late TD. Ayear ago this morning we had 61/2" of snow on the ground in Heidelberg.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Not that late TD. Ayear ago this morning we had 61/2" of snow on the ground in Heidelberg.

You missed his point. He was referring to my 'New Years resolution'. LOL

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

28 minutes ago, revrnd said:

You missed his point. He was referring to my 'New Years resolution'. LOL

9 hours ago, 04nightfire said:

I've had a few ass puckering moments on the 144.  We would go up to shining tree 2-3 times a year and meeting logging trucks in a snow storm definitely kept you on your toes.

Have taken 144, across sultan rd over to wawa many times, definitely need to be on your toes!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Damn! I have to learn to resd all the posts!

1 hour ago, catinental couch said:

I used to run that road and the road to Sultan every year for moose hunting. Once to go to Wawa. You need to be careful but no different than any other northern Ontario road. 

Agreed, although I do not know if Sultan falls into the same category as the other highways.....more of a logging road that is used as a short cut by locals, Hydro, Bell and of course loggers.

Not sure if the road has changed in the last decade or two, but I know it used to be a very rough road. 

Edited by stoney
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stoney said:

Agreed, although I do not know if Sultan falls into the same category as the other highways.....more of a logging road that is used as a short cut by locals, Hydro, Bell and of course loggers.

Not sure if the road has changed in the last decade or two, but I know it used to be a very rough road. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/392421867491316

(Sultan Road Updates)

An old neighbour had posted a video of her son on a fishing trip in the Wawa area last year, they used the Sultan Road. I asked her about the road & she mentioned the Faceplant page. I checked it out & it sounds like it was a mess when the frost was coming out of the road.

Not sure if the truckers on it use CBs to call out the mileage, but I have seen it on some roads in my travels. I was driving on 560 back in the 90s & saw a sign (in French) I did pick out CH #12 (or something other than 19). I turned mine on and later I did hear some chatter in French. A minute or 2 later I did meet an eastbound truck.

3 minutes ago, revrnd said:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/392421867491316

(Sultan Road Updates)

An old neighbour had posted a video of her son on a fishing trip in the Wawa area last year, they used the Sultan Road. I asked her about the road & she mentioned the Faceplant page. I checked it out & it sounds like it was a mess when the frost was coming out of the road.

Not sure if the truckers on it use CBs to call out the mileage, but I have seen it on some roads in my travels. I was driving on 560 back in the 90s & saw a sign (in French) I did pick out CH #12 (or something other than 19). I turned mine on and later I did hear some chatter in French. A minute or 2 later I did meet an eastbound truck.

LOL....modern day road updates on f/book, that is funny, yet very useful.

I am pretty sure when we frequented that road, f/plant was not around or at least neither of us that were driving were a member.

Usually in the fall it is rough. If there had been a lot of rain, it is really bad. When the loggers are coming with those big trucks in either direction, you are far better to give them right of way even if they don’t have it. I pull right over and nearly stop and let them go. In the cold of winter, the road is really good except when they have a thaw and a refreeze. Then the road is glare ice but smooth. You can still navigate it all right though. 
it is not a public road but the company allows the general public on it. That is why you get out of their way!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

Usually in the fall it is rough. If there had been a lot of rain, it is really bad. When the loggers are coming with those big trucks in either direction, you are far better to give them right of way even if they don’t have it. I pull right over and nearly stop and let them go. In the cold of winter, the road is really good except when they have a thaw and a refreeze. Then the road is glare ice but smooth. You can still navigate it all right though. 
it is not a public road but the company allows the general public on it. That is why you get out of their way!

I think I the 70s you needed a permit for it. Is there not another EB Eddy road (private) that runs south down to Nairn Centre?