2022 Skidoo Production Starts

Turbo Doo

30 minutes ago, CAT RIDER said:

Best thing I ever did was install a Kat heater on my ZR 7000 Thanks BP!

I am glad to see someone actually did it and had the same results as me.  3 sleds in our group with them.  I get the idea everyone just laughs at the idea.  Even when they have the problem are in denial.  I laugh at the hair dryer ordeal that I see all the time.  Convincing people is tough to do. 

• Like 3

I understand that you're not going to pull start it.

Tilton doesn't build starters for that motor? :o

Doo you have a gen set for the trailer then?

Or a rectifier from the truck maybe?

I have not had a problem yet in the trailer.  I do have a 400 watt inverter that I used to put in the trailer along with the battery out of my stored car.  The battery would charge from the truck on the road via the 7 pin trailer plug.  That inverter would run 4 heater pads on two sleds no problem.  My sled battery is the original 2015 and I will have to replace it once through this season.  This is not much of a hardship at all.  It just sounds like it.  Not having to carry 5 liters of oil for a trip is the bonus.  The sled is only plugged in at night if the temp is going real low.  It will start ok with an 45 min plug in while getting breakfast.

• Like 3

I think most guys will not go down this path until they experience the issue and maybe on a frequent basis.

I cannot imagine why a guy that is mechanically inclined would laugh at the idea either.

We usually have always tried to position sleds as much out of the wind as we can when parked overnight - all my sleds to date have had pull starts & never had an issue with cold morning pullovers.

I know for the Doo, they sell a block heater that looks to be pretty easy to install (remove side panel & muffler) - if I happen to have a repeat issues, might be something to look into.

The jump starter to me seemed like a no brainer - relatively cheap, small and serves more than one purpose when or if  the time arises.

As or the effort to use it, on the Doo, it is two small torx screws, remove cover and voila - the Cat is one torx bolt, but the seat needs to come off too, not very hard though.

• Like 4

Hey BP, 3 of my frieds I ride with have all installed the Kat heaters as welll as the other modifications you have posted in regards to the AC chassis and drive train.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Wind chill factor" is not a real thing to inanimate objects.

It's good to not let the wind blow snow dust into your cabin overnight, but it will not make any difference on the temp of the motor or battery in the morning.

I cannot believe this, but this subject has come up 2wice for me already this morning. :wtf:

• Like 1

@Ox Correct wind chill has no affect on inanimate objects, except for how fast they get the heat removed from them. We saw that in the jet engine test cells, the temp at the bell mouth probe is the outside air temp, no matter how fast or volume of air that engine was sucking in.

Also, the block heater has been well covered by several posts already. I had one on my Apex, (999cc) worked great. My buddy and his 1049cc Vector (2010) the ECU seemed confused by the different air and water temps, and was a bit difficult to start.

At Cochrane -38c, 80% of all of the 4S and 2S sleds in the Westway parking lot didn't start. Mine, even with the Boost pack (pictures already posted somewhere here), I had to get the hair dryer blowing into the breather box (opening panels at -38c on the Yams not that easy).

But all of that aside, the biggest reason I install a block heater is that the wear on a motor occurs at cold start-up, so if I can keep the motor a bit warm at any temp below about -25c, I will, I also carry the Boost pack. I accept that with Syn oils these days, not as much a factor as the mineral oil days.

But hey, if I didn't carry a GPS, Ear buds, boost pack, battery charger, extension cord, heated jacket and gloves, I would have to change my name from Gadgetman. :-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Well, I doubt that load's gunna help many folks reading this site.... :icon_slap2:

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2022 at 10:34 AM, Gadgetman said:

@Ox Correct wind chill has no affect on inanimate objects, except for how fast they get the heat removed from them. We saw that in the jet engine test cells, the temp at the bell mouth probe is the outside air temp, no matter how fast or volume of air that engine was sucking in.

Also, the block heater has been well covered by several posts already. I had one on my Apex, (999cc) worked great. My buddy and his 1049cc Vector (2010) the ECU seemed confused by the different air and water temps, and was a bit difficult to start.

At Cochrane -38c, 80% of all of the 4S and 2S sleds in the Westway parking lot didn't start. Mine, even with the Boost pack (pictures already posted somewhere here), I had to get the hair dryer blowing into the breather box (opening panels at -38c on the Yams not that easy).

But all of that aside, the biggest reason I install a block heater is that the wear on a motor occurs at cold start-up, so if I can keep the motor a bit warm at any temp below about -25c, I will, I also carry the Boost pack. I accept that with Syn oils these days, not as much a factor as the mineral oil days.

But hey, if I didn't carry a GPS, Ear buds, boost pack, battery charger, extension cord, heated jacket and gloves, I would have to change my name from Gadgetman. :-)

Gadgetman,  not sure if you ever met sledjunk (may he RIP), but you two would definitely be kindred spirits...

• Like 4

2022 Skidoo production ends on Monday Jan 31.   

My dealer is hearing rumblings that orders may be cancelled altogether if the sled isnt built by then.  

• Sad 2

Mine appears to have been built on 10 Nov, yet didn't make it to the dealer until the end of December. I do find that a long time from Assy to delivery, and a dealer only a few hours away from the plant.

12 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

Mine appears to have been built on 10 Nov, yet didn't make it to the dealer until the end of December. I do find that a long time from Assy to delivery, and a dealer only a few hours away from the plant.

Build date and date shipped can be very different. Built "short" vehicles get put in a waiting area until the parts needed arrive and only then get slotted into get them installed at somepoint then logistics gets them into a load being built for a particular geographic area. When they have enough for a full load then it will get loaded on a trailer. Then the paperwork goes to dispatch. It all takes too much time.

2 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

With my Mach

1 hour ago, oldslowsledder said:

Got the call today, Mach will arrive complete short of DESS post and I should have it end of next week, fingers crossed!

I am definitely keeping my fingers crossed that mine arrives with your Mach's. 

@Turbo Doo will not want to live with me if it doesn't.  I was ok up till now but if mine gets canceled skidoo is going to hear from me.  Don't make a women mad it is not smart :troll:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Mrs Turbo Doo said:

I am definitely keeping my fingers crossed that mine arrives with your Mach's. 

@Turbo Doo will not want to live with me if it doesn't.  I was ok up till now but if mine gets canceled skidoo is going to hear from me.  Don't make a women mad it is not smart :troll:

Skidoo, you listening?. My life's on the line here.....:furious3:

• Haha 6

The only sleds that seem to be in jeopardy of not being built are 900T and R Enduros.   My dealer has ship dates on all his remaining 22s with the exception of 900 Enduros.    They have no dates beside them on his list from BRP.   

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Turbo Doo said:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowmobile/sudbury/2022-ski-doo-mach-z-850-turbo/1602698291

This is a rare one. A 2022 Mach Z 850 Turbo,  wow...

The add on KIjji lists it as a 2020...even better.

• Haha 2