2022 Skidoo Production Starts

Turbo Doo

31 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Already been done my friend....

Chris is a great guy. Very knowledgeable.

5 minutes ago, FIRE242 said:

Chris is a great guy. Very knowledgeable.

I agree. I've known him for a few years now.  I had the opportunity to ride with him and Bill Froud, and a few others from Kirkland Lake,  back to Liskeard one Sunday morning for, what I would say, was a brisk pace with their 1200 Turbos... Yikes.. very knowledgeable...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

I agree. I've known him for a few years now.  I had the opportunity to ride with him and Bill Froud, and a few others from Kirkland Lake,  back to Liskeard one Sunday morning for, what I would say, was a brisk pace with their 1200 Turbos... Yikes.. very knowledgeable...

Waiting patiently to test out his work and recommendations.

• Like 1

News that I receive as a automotive manufacture 

Forget the semiconductor, magnesium could be the car industry’s next big hurdle

By Jason Woosey  Oct 20, 2021

International - By now you would have heard a lot about the semiconductor chip shortage and how it is currently crippling car production around the world, sending some factories into temporary closure and creating a general shortage of new cars.

But things could get even worse by the end of this year, according to industry analysts, thanks to a looming shortage of magnesium.

According to Mining.com, global carmakers are facing another potential crisis as a result of this shortage, which is being indirectly caused by China’s electricity crisis. China currently supplies around 85% of the world’s magnesium, and the power woes have reportedly forced authorities to shut down 35 of the country’s 50 magnesium smelters until the end of 2021.

Germany’s association of metal producers said this week that Europe’s magnesium stockpiles could be depleted by the end of November.

But why is magnesium so important to car production?

MORE ON THIS

Hyundai planning to develop its own semiconductor chips

SA motor industry fears impact as Numsa strike commences

New car market is growing: these were SA’s top-selling brands in September 2021

According to Jalopnik, magnesium is used in the production of many aluminium alloys, which are found in body panels, unibody structures, engine blocks, fuel tanks, axles and other crucial components. The particularly worrying part of all this is that there is no way to produce aluminium sheets without magnesium.

“Thirty-five percent of downstream demand for magnesium is automotive sheet - so if magnesium supply stops, the entire auto industry will potentially be forced to stop,” a Barclays analyst told the Financial Times recently.

While Europe is likely to be hit particularly hard, North America might be spared the worst of it, given that the US is a global supplier of magnesium, Jalopnik reports.

As for semiconductor chips, some industry leaders believe that the problem might be under control by next year. Tesla’s Elon Musk is particularly optimistic about the situation:

“There are a lot of chip fabrication plants that are being built,” Musk said recently. “I think we will have good capacity for providing chips by next year. I certainly hope so, but it appears that way.”

Sadly, however, it appears that magnesium could well become the new semiconductor chip.

• Thanks 1

I talked to my dealer last night.   He told me that more delays are coming.   He came right out and said not to expect my Jan delivery sled until Feb.  

• Sad 6

14 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I talked to my dealer last night.   He told me that more delays are coming.   He came right out and said not to expect my Jan delivery sled until Feb.  

Jumped into my Yamaha dealer yesterday. Chatting sleds and upcoming season. I inquired about '22's; his responds. Those that ordered limited edition sleds (read spring order availability only) will see their sleds anytime. In fact, there was a transport parked in their yard with new sleds. However, those that ordered standard issue sleds....no idea when they are coming in. From a Five Star Yamaha dealer.

• Thanks 1

Has anyone confirmed a date to cancel your order by? I heard at one time you needed to let the dealer know by October 31 if you wanted to cancel or you were stuck with the sled no matter if it came in in Jan or Feb. My dealer did not contact me to make me aware of anything like this.

42 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Has anyone confirmed a date to cancel your order by? I heard at one time you needed to let the dealer know by October 31 if you wanted to cancel or you were stuck with the sled no matter if it came in in Jan or Feb. My dealer did not contact me to make me aware of anything like this.

To cancel and get your deposit back was Oct 31. You can back out anytime,  but you may loose your deposit...

6 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Your dealer, in theory, really does not need to contact you about it - is it good service? of course, but is it their job? nope, unless they failed to give you the paperwork confirming that detail when you placed your deposit etc. - then okay, but otherwise...

My dealer just called said my sleds will be ready for pickup Wednesday 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, stoney said:

Good stuff. 
What exactly did you order?

Two renegade 850 x standard gauges 1.5 ice ripper tracks 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good to here some sleds are coming in! Didn't want to brag but my 850 Renny X has been home for 10 days. Good thing I played my humble self, LOL!! Sled came in with gauges but sans chip for DSS, Counted myself lucky, talked to my dealer today about Tina's sled in for service and he advised I am the lucky winner of a BRP recall. May affect some 2 stokes and has to do with oil injection, probably not important!! Mine is a low VIN (under 10) so just a heads up to those picking up soon.

Livin'

• Like 4

Just got the call, my Renegade X 900R with Ice Ripper is in and ready to pickup. Just missing DESS.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...