150 hp 900 ace turbo throttle

signfan

From those that own these sleds is all the snowtrax complaints about the throttle valid or not?  I have the same throttle on my NA 900 ace XS chassis sled and have no complaints.  If anything it's the best throttle I've ever owned.  Very light and comfortable.   No response concerns.  I have the flip throttle, but admittedly never use it with the finger sea doo type mode.  Is the throttle response that bad with the turbo version?  Is there issues with the NA 900 ace when in the G4 chassis?  Or is this just another stupid nit pick thing snow trax came up with that really isn't valid.  I rode the 1200 4-tec lots and didn't find the lag complaints they had about the 1200's to be all that valid.

Edited by signfan

9 hours ago, signfan said:

From those that own these sleds is all the snowtrax complaints about the throttle valid or not?  I have the same throttle on my NA 900 ace XS chassis sled and have no complaints.  If anything it's the best throttle I've ever owned.  Very light and comfortable.   No response concerns.  I have the flip throttle, but admittedly never use it with the finger sea doo type mode.  Is the throttle response that bad with the turbo version?  Is there issues with the NA 900 ace when in the G4 chassis?  Or is this just another stupid nit pick thing snow trax came up with that really isn't valid.  I rode the 1200 4-tec lots and didn't find the lag complaints they had about the 1200's to be all that valid.

I believe turbo versions aren’t wireless throttle that we have on our 900 aces. It is connected by a wire I believe. I think only etec’s and regular 900 ace uses the wireless one still. I could be wrong, since doo keeps changing things. Really a step backwards since I enjoy easy throttle on regular 900 ace. Yeni can use snowmobile all afternoon and her small hands don’t get sore either. I think next time I go with smaller 125 horsepower turbo or go back to an etec. Most likely keep my 900 ace grand touring forever, since it is a great sled with 40 L tank in xs chassis and air suspension and all

luggage it has including side cases.  Really need larger tank with riding double. Most of my range was around 200 km’s with two of us on it in southern Ontario. I can get about 50 km’s more on average by myself depending on conditions. I can carry enough stuff for three guys too. Great sled. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

9 hours ago, signfan said:

The 900 Turbo Throttle is good. Some complain about lag, some don't. Lag, as is the time it takes the electric Throttle to send a message to the electric Throttle body,  and also some complained about the feel. It all started when Doo went to the fly by wire Throttle on the 1200. I don't mind it one bit. For 2022, the throttles are changed to a typical 2 stroke Throttle at the handle bar,  but still uses the electronic Throttle body. No more electric Throttle,  the 2022 have a cable style Throttle controlling the electric Throttle body, instead of the electric Throttle controlling the electric Throttle body.  I am looking forward to seeing how this works, but did not ever have a issue with the old style.

BTW all Doo 4 strokes have and will have the same Throttle. 

Edited by Turbo Doo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

I believe turbo versions aren’t wireless throttle that we have on our 900 aces. It is connected by a wire I believe. I think only etec’s and regular 900 ace uses the wireless one still. I could be wrong, since doo keeps changing things. Really a step backwards since I enjoy easy throttle on regular 900 ace. Yeni can use snowmobile all afternoon and her small hands don’t get sore either. I think next time I go with smaller 125 horsepower turbo or go back to an etec. Most likely keep my 900 ace grand touring forever, since it is a great sled with 40 L tank in xs chassis and air suspension and all

luggage it has including side cases.  Really need larger tank with riding double. Most of my range was around 200 km’s with two of us on it in southern Ontario. I can get about 50 km’s more on average by myself depending on conditions. I can carry enough stuff for three guys too. Great sled. 

All 4 strokes from about 2016 on have the throttle your 900 ace has.  Its not wireless.  Its a wired electronic setup.  The 2 strokes still run a mechanical linkage setup.  As turbo doo stated the new 180 hp is getting a mechanical setup next year, but it still connects to an electric actuator.  Its just located under the hood vs being built into the throttle housing.

10 hours ago, signfan said:

I had the opportunity to ride a 900T a couple of years ago for a little bit, which was my first time on one. At first it is very different from the traditional throttle that takes some adjustment, but than it was fine once that period had passed and no complaints.

I think many people just like to complain and the guys on ST are expected to be super critical of things, that is really what there job is, so not surprised that it is a point on the con list, but again, if you ride it for any period, that different feeling or odd characteristics, goes away and becomes just normal.

When I jumped back on my 2-stroke with a "normal throttle", I know that I did not have some great sense of relief.....but to each their own.

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

I thought do had that since 900 came out. My 2017 has electric reverse. I call it electronic reverse. 

They had a manual actuated lever on the right side to engage reverse.

I don’t have enough Doo exposure to state what 4 stroke models had this and which ones didn’t, now it’s an electronic push button, with potentially more issues I guess and why many rather it didn’t change. 

16 minutes ago, stoney said:

They had a manual actuated lever on the right side to engage reverse.

I don’t have enough Doo exposure to state what 4 stroke models had this and which ones didn’t, now it’s an electronic push button, with potentially more issues I guess and why many rather it didn’t change. 

IIRC some GSX's and Enduro's had the electric reverse.  Some hated it, some liked it. The mechanical reverse was not perfect either.  The linkage would wear, and or be out of adjustment too. I had one sled I needed the linkage adjusted a month after riding it, it was a brand new sled, to get the lever to work properly,  so time will tell if going back to the electro-mechanical was a good decision. 

The reverse on my 1200's (2018 Enduro and 2017 Grand Touring) both "fail" from time to time, and I have to tap the servo motor with a wrench to fix the problem.

1 hour ago, Blake G said:

The reverse on my 1200's (2018 Enduro and 2017 Grand Touring) both "fail" from time to time, and I have to tap the servo motor with a wrench to fix the problem.

LOL, is that what the Doo repair manual explains how to fix the problem :rotflmao:

When Cat had the servo for there reverse system before the engine reverse was put into use, they had similar issues.

I still tend to not use my reverse much, just an old habit I guess and find myself either grabbing a ski or the rear bumper to swing sled around.

• Like 1

A guy in our group had one fail a few years back that wouldn't come out of reverse. 

We teased and wanted him to ride back to the cottage in reverse. lol. 

It took us over an hour to mess with the limited tools we had, got it disassembled enough to mechanically disengage it. 

I think it is something BRP has addressed and improved, however I really have no knowledge of this. 

Electronic/electrical gadgets are great when they work. However the other side of me embraces the KISS system often as well.  

• Thanks 1

I'd say I've seen the "reverse fail" 4 or 5 times on a cold sled. Two or 3 times hot. Had one servo replaced, but it happened again on the same sled. Sometimes I just have to try a couple of times, but twice I've used the tap method.

14 hours ago, stoney said:

I had the opportunity to ride a 900T a couple of years ago for a little bit, which was my first time on one. At first it is very different from the traditional throttle that takes some adjustment, but than it was fine once that period had passed and no complaints.

I think many people just like to complain and the guys on ST are expected to be super critical of things, that is really what there job is, so not surprised that it is a point on the con list, but again, if you ride it for any period, that different feeling or odd characteristics, goes away and becomes just normal.

When I jumped back on my 2-stroke with a "normal throttle", I know that I did not have some great sense of relief.....but to each their own.

Thanks that's what I figured.

13 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

All 2022 Doo 4 strokes are getting electro-mechanical  reverse also.  

Cutting the options down and simplifying production. Makes sense.  Smart move by BRP.  If you want mechanical reverse its still offered on a 600 ace, but that's about it as you said.  I guess mechanical reverse is also available on the sport utility sleds as well.

Don't forget these were the same guys that whined for years about the 'doo RV motors using a primer for starting...

Those of us that had them knew the drill & could start them in our sleep.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/30/2021 at 8:54 PM, revrnd said:

Don't forget these were the same guys that whined for years about the 'doo RV motors using a primer for starting...

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 8:54 PM, revrnd said:

There was nothing worse then someone jumping on your sled in the bush and priming it 5 times and then saying the junk won’t start.  Then the hours spent trying to start.

Our junk Moto Ski Supersonic was 1 -2 Prime only (I think) not a bunch.

Boy did I love the Polaris choke when I got my first Polaris.  

• Like 1

I would put one of those primers on all my old Cats.  The primer would start it with one or two pulls and the so called choke would keep it running.

2 hours ago, Sksman said:

There was nothing worse then someone jumping on your sled in the bush and priming it 5 times and then saying the junk won’t start.  Then the hours spent trying to start.

Our junk Moto Ski Supersonic was 1 -2 Prime only (I think) not a bunch.

Boy did I love the Polaris choke when I got my first Polaris.  

Yes, 2 pumps, leave the primer out to give it 1 more squirt when it started & you were good to go.

If these guys were the self-proclaimed 'experts', it shouldn't have been all that difficult...

• Like 2

On 5/3/2021 at 9:19 AM, Big Pussy said:

I would put one of those primers on all my old Cats.  The primer would start it with one or two pulls and the so called choke would keep it running.

Did that too on the Elan with the tillotson carb piece of shite.

Way easier to start the old one lunger

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vooodooo said:

Did that too on the Elan with the tillotson carb piece of shite.

Way easier to start the old one lunger

My '81 w/ a VM28 has a primer.

On 5/3/2021 at 9:19 AM, Big Pussy said:

Just like the 71 Sno Cruiser.  It has a primer and a warm up.     ( choke ) control.  :icon_dance-cpatch::rotflmao: