Doo Owners - Windshield or Handguard mount mirrors?

Gadgetman

I will go to the Medium windshield on the 2022 REN X. As we have many Doo owners, some of whom think like me (or I think like them :-)), I'm interested to hear pros and cons on each type.

Both fold in, hand guard are half the price of windshield, aside from that thoughts?

Note, that I'm the trip planner, so almost always lead sled, and we are very big on trying to have the sled behind visible in a mirror, so we don't "leave a man behind", which occurred in 1 of my blown piston saga's.

I guess first con of handguard mirror is if you use hand muffs on the bars. (Yes, I'm old, get cold and don't care what muffs look like, because I'm a POOG (Pissed Off Old Guys - Jack Nicholson is our poster guy)

Next?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Gadgetman

I use the foldable handguard mirrors because they are tiny. I dont like the big ones. I just need to see a light in them and thats all. Still works with my medium windshield but rubs slightly on full turns. Should be ok for your sled as the XRS has the forward leaning steering post.

I ordered same sled and going to see if the stock windshield and side deflectors suit my needs first before I change anything. 
ordered the hand guard mirrors, like UTSD, I’m not looking to see much, just if there is a trailing sled.... if the person that’s suppose to be there, is still there  or if I’m holding someone else up. 

Edited by stoney
  • Like 1

I switched to the windshield mounted ones last year and will never go back to the handguard mounts.      

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, stoney said:

I ordered same sled and going to see if the stock windshield and side deflectors suit my needs first before I change anything. 
ordered the hand guard mirrors, like UTSD, I’m not looking to see much, just if there is a trailing sled.... if the person that’s suppose to be there, is still there  or if I’m holding someone else up. 

Wat the hell is UTSD?

8 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I switched to the windshield mounted ones last year and will never go back to the handguard mounts.      

its a personal preference thing. nothing more. Im sure he windshield mounts are way better

13 minutes ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Wat the hell is UTSD?

its a personal preference thing. nothing more. Im sure he windshield mounts are way better

Lol, some sickness, worse than covid....

1 hour ago, stoney said:

Fair enough. But if you can only make out a headlight, may be a bit embarrassing to find out 20KM later that your group had to stop, and it is another sled group behind you who had no place to pass you. :huh:

Dealer has an open house every October, you pick up your accessories, and spin the wheel for a discount, min is 15% and max is 50%. I can tell that the windshield mounted mirrors will work better for me.

thanks

14 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

Fair enough. But if you can only make out a headlight, may be a bit embarrassing to find out 20KM later that your group had to stop, and it is another sled group behind you who had no place to pass you. :huh:

Dealer has an open house every October, you pick up your accessories, and spin the wheel for a discount, min is 15% and max is 50%. I can tell that the windshield mounted mirrors will work better for me.

thanks

That is possible I suppose, I know for me I have always used the mirrors that goes on your wrist in the past to keep an eye on the following sled in our group and never had that happen, yet.

I figured for the small price of the hand guard ones that Doo offers, I would try that instead.

I am sure the the windshield mounted ones will be much better given the field of view to see more & from what others have shared - just a personal preference and whatever works for you is what really matters :right_on:

Is that open house spin the wheel thing you mention for all dealers or just your dealer? I like that promotion.....would be great to get 50% off the accessories I ordered!

2 hours ago, stoney said:

That's about all I notice anyways w/ the w/s mirrors that I use up north. Down south w/ a lower w/s, I have the little mirrors on my Powermadd handguards. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, revrnd said:

That's about all I notice anyways w/ the w/s mirrors that I use up north. Down south w/ a lower w/s, I have the little mirrors on my Powermadd handguards. 

I am sure there an many factors that come into play that affect your field of vision......how good your eyes are to begin with (mine are getting bad :) ), the speed in which you travel...... :coffeenose: , and weather conditions.

As much as I like to see at times what is behind me, my primary focus most of the time is what is in front of me!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

thanks

I have the OEM windshield mounted mirrors on my Cat...They work well for me. On a previous sled long ago (skidoo) I had the handlebar mirrors and didn't care for them at all. If I am checking for the rest of my group to be behind me I will either slow down / stop in a spot wide enough to let others pass. If they are my group they will do the same. If not they will pass. OR I will check the mirrors when we are in a bend and I can catch a view of the side of the sled. 

1 hour ago, slomo said:

Not sure why they have not come up with rear view cameras yet. 

Coming soon along with 0% financing.....just like with cars. The sled manufactures are still catching up.

5 hours ago, slomo said:

Not sure why they have not come up with rear view cameras yet. 

3 hours ago, stoney said:

Coming soon along with 0% financing.....just like with cars. The sled manufactures are still catching up.

omg   Ha ha      out of them   Why   ???

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

I prefer these.  Again just my opinion. And yes Doo muffs work with the handguards. 

20210314_124256.jpg

What a good lookin sled  did you trade because there are those weird stickers on the skis  ?:lmao:  thats what I run    the mirrors on the med windshield is real good    you can see whats behind you fairly decent    when running roads  you can see any traffic too    buddy runs  skidoo muffs and work with guards        but I took guards off   and run muffs   

Just now, volunteer2 said:

What a good lookin sled  did you trade because there are those weird stickers on the skis  ?:lmao:  thats what I run    the mirrors on the med windshield is real good    you can see whats behind you fairly decent    when running roads  you can see any traffic too    buddy runs  skidoo muffs and work with guards        but I took guards off   and run muffs   

Yes sir. The ski stickers drove me nuts. So I dealt it. :rotflmao:

Just now, Turbo Doo said:

Yes sir. The ski stickers drove me nuts. So I dealt it. :rotflmao:

Ha ha     the first thing I took off    saying that I change carbides  a bit so I take skis off to do that  :lol: