Pro Starr Hybrid Rear Ramp Trailers

Gadgetman

While I'm sorting out if I have to go to a new trailer or not, anyone running the Pro Starr Hybrid Rear Ramp 12' trailer; impressions, handling, build quality?

Also, any comments on ACTION trailers, good or bad?

Thanks

14 minutes ago, slomo said:

Another alternative for you to consider - comes with standard wheels, spare, front door, track matts all included. Looks like leaf springs though.

https://www.georgianbaytrailers.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=7308574&p=1&s=(Sort By)&d=D&fr=xAllInventory

Parry Sound area.

Thanks. 

me and 2 buddies have the 12 ft  hybrid   we love them      I say they are an entry level trailer  but a few bucks   I was going to suggest that you may want to upgrade but didnt wanna tick you off lol   your trailer has value and to upgrade may be easier than you think    Our trailers tow real nice  load and unload great    A couple years ago we had a thread about the trailers and one thing was the Bullet  inlines are real nice too and would get you better mileage    

the prostarr hybrid with the rear ramp, is on my short list of trailers I would buy. I need one for the house in Dub but, because of travel restrictions, and not having sleds here in the states now, I have not been actively searching, or wanting to order one. personally I am looking at the 13' for the extra room to kick the tails out, and be able to haul the fishing sleigh. these trailers are built in michigan, and seem to be a decent build package. Ski

4 hours ago, slomo said:

Another alternative for you to consider - comes with standard wheels, spare, front door, track matts all included. Looks like leaf springs though.

https://www.georgianbaytrailers.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=7308574&p=1&s=(Sort By)&d=D&fr=xAllInventory

Parry Sound area.

Bought one of these two years ago, happy with it so far. First thing I did when arriving home was to soak axle, springs and attaching bracket area with Rust Check

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skidooboy said:

the prostarr hybrid with the rear ramp, is on my short list of trailers I would buy. I need one for the house in Dub but, because of travel restrictions, and not having sleds here in the states now, I have not been actively searching, or wanting to order one. personally I am looking at the 13' for the extra room to kick the tails out, and be able to haul the fishing sleigh. these trailers are built in michigan, and seem to be a decent build package. Ski

The axels are Kennedy from what I saw.  Are they made in America ?  The other torsion is the Dexter   I have a couple United trailers with the Dexter's one is an 06 and no issues. Just wondering about the Kenedy unit and quality.  I know a bit late now to ask  

6 hours ago, skidooboy said:

I scrubbed the Made in Michigan decal off the sides as I thought that the poor spelling would reflect badly on the state's education system....:wink:

bullit.JPG.fc7352edbf39fad6e7ff6dd68abe89e3.JPG

2 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

The axels are Kennedy from what I saw.  Are they made in America ?  The other torsion is the Dexter   I have a couple United trailers with the Dexter's one is an 06 and no issues. Just wondering about the Kenedy unit and quality.  I know a bit late now to ask  

The axle on mine is from Lippert. U.S. made and parts available.  I am talking about the inline hybrid 7'X 16' , so there is no confusion.  

https://actiontrailers.ca/shop/build-a-trailer/snowmobile-motorcycle/inline-hybrid/sled-shed-aluminum-pro-starr-bullet-series-rear-ramp-door-7-wide-inline-hybrid-snowmobile/

The Prostarr Bullit hybrid advertised on Action Trailer website does not have a front door. However you can get on as an option AND if you want six inches of extra interior height, you can get that as an option as well. Blake and I are rather compact (but husky) so the height is bearable for the sledding season - those taller folks might want to increase the height.

The Bullitt tows very well and I like the seven foot width as opposed to the eight foot width. Helps on the highway and backing into places. The extra room for gear in addition to two machines comes in handy. 

interior.thumb.JPG.7f8d6bda643a1a80f881b392d5758cde.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, slomo said:

I scrubbed the Made in Michigan decal off the sides as I thought that the poor spelling would reflect badly on the state's education system....:wink:

bullit.JPG.fc7352edbf39fad6e7ff6dd68abe89e3.JPG

The axle on mine is from Lippert. U.S. made and parts available.  I am talking about the inline hybrid 7'X 16' , so there is no confusion.  

https://actiontrailers.ca/shop/build-a-trailer/snowmobile-motorcycle/inline-hybrid/sled-shed-aluminum-pro-starr-bullet-series-rear-ramp-door-7-wide-inline-hybrid-snowmobile/

The Prostarr Bullit hybrid advertised on Action Trailer website does not have a front door. However you can get on as an option AND if you want six inches of extra interior height, you can get that as an option as well. Blake and I are rather compact (but husky) so the height is bearable for the sledding season - those taller folks might want to increase the height.

The Bullitt tows very well and I like the seven foot width as opposed to the eight foot width. Helps on the highway and backing into places. The extra room for gear in addition to two machines comes in handy. 

interior.thumb.JPG.7f8d6bda643a1a80f881b392d5758cde.JPG

OMG Slomo    Thanks for the info   Not sure how I got Kennedy axles    Its Lippert and I knew that but forgot    The Lipperts lived beside the Kennedys in our little town when we growing up  so I got a little confused LOL    hoping the Lippert axels are as good as the Dexter I have and had     I did have my older sled trailer   homemade enclosed   real heavy   had a Dexter axle  no problems for 20 plus yrs        

• Like 1

No new trailer required (phew!!!). REN X 137 fits my model of Triton 10ft Clam shell. Stopped at the dealer today and they loaded up a sled. No room to spare, but fits.

Posting pics in the other post.

Thanks for the input on trailer options, but my Triton just keeps on working.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

No new trailer required (phew!!!). REN X 137 fits my model of Triton 10ft Clam shell. Stopped at the dealer today and they loaded up a sled. No room to spare, but fits.

Posting pics in the other post.

Thanks for the input on trailer options, but my Triton just keeps on working.

Dammit Gadgetman - this is snowmobiling! This thriftiness you are displaying is way out of character and extremely contrary to the stereotype! (glad your sled fits in your old trailer) ;-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slomo said:

Dammit Gadgetman - this is snowmobiling! This thriftiness you are displaying is way out of character and extremely contrary to the stereotype! (glad your sled fits in your old trailer) ;-)

I know, but you see it is like this; I'm trying to retire in the next year or 3, (I'm hoping 2 years at most, as I really don't want to spend some of a summer in Kuwait again (I don't do 48/50c temps well at all) and she laid out 2 very simple conditions for me to retire: 1. Stop spending so much on toys (I have another sport which is also expensive), or 2. drop dead. So, the "Harley wanna-be" was just traded in on the REN X. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a tip for the wider trailers that you can't see behind.

I have a Triton, 12 foot clamshell and even with the pull out truck mirrors it sucks.

I wanted to tow it with my full size vans and there was no real good option for mirrors. 

Bought and installed this on the back of the trailer, powered by the running lights.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07H2GMM48/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1000 miles on multiple vehicles, works very well.  Likely get me past the MTO rule that you have to be able to see behind you, but that has yet to be confirmed lol.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vooodooo said:

I have a Triton, 12 foot clamshell and even with the pull out truck mirrors it sucks.

I wanted to tow it with my full size vans and there was no real good option for mirrors. 

Bought and installed this on the back of the trailer, powered by the running lights.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07H2GMM48/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1000 miles on multiple vehicles, works very well.  Likely get me past the MTO rule that you have to be able to see behind you, but that has yet to be confirmed lol.

I have looked into those in the past.

The only issue I had was road spray covering the lens so what is behind you is no longer visible on the screen

2 hours ago, vooodooo said:

As I tow with a Highlander, and yes, even with strap on extension mirrors, it is hard to see behind the trailer, I too installed a wireless backup camera, wired to running lights. Only issue is that it does seem to lose the signal on occasion. I'll keep this model in mind if mine breaks. My plate is mounted high on the rear of the shell, does pick up spray, but not as quickly.

Thanks

Edited by Gadgetman

3 hours ago, vooodooo said:

Transports can’t see behind them either. Down sides yes but not behind. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

I've never heard of a requirement to be able to see behind you. Like you said down the sides. I can't see behind the sled trailer, the boat, the RV or the horse trailer. Nobody ever could until those cameras became available. 

18 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

True. 

I drive a truck in my spare/spare time.

I can't remember the actual rule but there is a distance behind the trailer you are "supposed to" be able to see.

It's mostly about emergency vehicles, so you can see them from a distance.

My camera easily passes this test, from experience.

IS THERE ANY LEGAL EXEMPTION TO NOT BEING ABLE TO SEE OUT OF MY REAR WINDOW?

Yes.  Fortunately it is also an exemption that applies to the vast majority of vehicles on Ontario’s roadways.  This is certainly good news for Ontarians that enjoy packing their vehicle’s interior to the roof for camping or other events.  This exemption falls under Highway Traffic Act section74(2) as follows:

Application of clause. (1) (b)

(2) Clause (1) (b) does not apply to a motor vehicle that is equipped with a mirror or mirrors securely attached to the motor vehicle and placed in such a position and maintained in such a condition as to afford the driver, otherwise than through the rear window, a clearly-reflected view of the roadway in the rear or of any vehicle approaching from the rear.  R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 74 (2).

The exemption for not being able to see through your rear window requires that:

• A mirror or mirrors be attached to your vehicle
  • That those mirrors be placed and maintained to reflect the roadway behind you
  • That the reflection of the mirror(s) permit you to see the road and any vehicles behind you

If your rear window is blocked and you cannot properly see the road or vehicles behind you in your mirrors, you’re at risk for being charged by the police under this section of the Highway Traffic Act.

The last bullets, can be used by the Police to charge you. Yes, Tractor trailers can't see directly behind, but they can see at a specific distance behind them. So, in theory, towing a sled trailer, you need to be able to see a vehicle behind you on the road. 

So, I use a camera, I will see flashing lights, and know to pull over.

You need to be able to clearly have vision down the sides of your rig past the back corners of your trailer.  

And more important If the cop can see you in your mirror from back corner of your trailer you should be good. 

They can’t see you.  You can’t see them.  Then you could get a ticket. 

50 minutes ago, Sksman said:

You need to be able to clearly have vision down the sides of your rig past the back corners of your trailer.  

And more important If the cop can see you in your mirror from back corner of your trailer you should be good. 

They can’t see you.  You can’t see them.  Then you could get a ticket. 

Just wondering if anyone on the forum has ever gotten a ticket for no or improper mirrors. I haven't heard of a ticket for this in many decades.

14 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Just wondering if anyone on the forum has ever gotten a ticket for no or improper mirrors. I haven't heard of a ticket for this in many decades.

Never got pulled over but was in middle lane on highway 400 and cop came up to side of me in fast lane and started pointing fingers at me. Then we realized he wanted us in slow lane, so moved over and he left us alone. Only happened once. Not sure what that was about since trucks use middle lane all day long too. 

Edited by Strong Farmer
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Never got pulled over but was in middle lane on highway 400 and cop came up to side of me in fast lane and started pointing fingers at me. Then we realized he wanted us in slow lane, so moved over and he left us alone. Only happened once. Not sure what that was about since trucks use middle lane all day long too. 

Just because someone does something wrong doesn't mean it's OK however, like your response that has nothing to do with the questionbeing asked.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

A friend sells trailers and they are already being squeezed by the manufacturers on sled trailer orders for this fall.   

And delivery dates.