ofsc now says that pres of the club will not be paid to groom

mike37

On 4/9/2021 at 8:33 PM, Zertrider said:

Because a club president can vote on what a groomers hourly wage would be, there is a conflict of interest for allowing such.

I can agree with that...however I don't think it's really an issue.

Groomer operators in my district have had static pay for as long as I can remember.

$17/hr during the day,  $19/hr at night.

Most of the operators I know have heavy equipment jobs and background, and/or are small business owners.

I make quite a bit more at my other endeavors.

None I know do it for the money, we usually take a financial hit, not to mention the missed family and riding opportunities,  so riders can enjoy the sport we all love.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 4/13/2021 at 12:06 PM, GTC said:

So does this include trail building type work, dozer excavator etc.. as a conflict 

I’m currently VP for our club,

Clubs been using my equipment for years, some paid some volunteer

Never been an issue for us.

We sometimes need heavy equipment type companies to build and maintain trails.

Preference is given, to landowners, volunteers, etc, but it's still done as an RFQ.

Operators, machines and material are not always free. Sometimes we get lucky though.

We get treated very well when we must hire the above.

As much as we can, volunteers with volunteered equipment is used, free of charge, including even fuel.

Our books are open to any club member, the district and the OFSC.

An audit would find nothing untoward.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, vooodooo said:

Never been an issue for us.

We sometimes need heavy equipment type companies to build and maintain trails.

Preference is given, to landowners, volunteers, etc, but it's still done as an RFQ.

Operators, machines and material are not always free. Sometimes we get lucky though.

We get treated very well when we must hire the above.

As much as we can, volunteers with volunteered equipment is used, free of charge, including even fuel.

Our books are open to any club member, the district and the OFSC.

An audit would find nothing untoward.

It not the audit it's the public perception.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, soupkids said:

It not the audit it's the uneducated public perception.

There I fixed it.

As it’s a not for profit if a company donates equipment or time do they receive a charitable tax donation receipt?

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

As it’s a not for profit if a company donates equipment or time do they receive a charitable tax donation receipt?

No, because it is not a registered charity.

I have never even asked or received my expenses not even for travel hotels or convention. That being said I do not depend on an hourly wage for my living and doing this is my way of giving back to the sport. 

I strongly dis agree with this as grooming funding comes from the district not the club and I have known many great club presidents that have done a great job of grooming 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wildbill said:

I have never even asked or received my expenses not even for travel hotels or convention. That being said I do not depend on an hourly wage for my living and doing this is my way of giving back to the sport. 

I strongly dis agree with this as grooming funding comes from the district not the club and I have known many great club presidents that have done a great job of grooming 

I know our president has told us we can put in for mileage and or gas for our saws, ATVs/UTVs. I'm going to submit a bill for the gas I used trimming some trees back on a ride or what I used in my Ranger putting some new signs up? I can't be bothered like I said. Just my part in helping out. 

Very true Bill. That being said I think the OFSC is looking @ the optics of this. 

I won't elaborate but I know of (in the past) where members of the executive and/or groomers intentions were less that honourable. More or less a 'what's in it for me attitude?'

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

I know our president has told us we can put in for mileage and or gas for our saws, ATVs/UTVs. I'm going to submit a bill for the gas I used trimming some trees back on a ride or what I used in my Ranger putting some new signs up? I can't be bothered like I said. Just my part in helping out. 

Very true Bill. That being said I think the OFSC is looking @ the optics of this. 

I won't elaborate but I know of (in the past) where members of the executive and/or groomers intentions were less that honourable. More or less a 'what's in it for me attitude?'

I seem to recall one situation quite a while ago where someone offered to be a groomer operator for a club. It turned out that there wasn't any trail access from his home so he would take the groomer home at the end of a run and park it in his yard until the next day. Basically he was creating a personal groomed trail from his home to the actual trail. I think those are "the old days" and not something we really see happening anymore but there is still the perceptions of permit buyers to deal with. I can't count the number of times I was doing trail patrol and people believed I was supplied with a sled and fuel to do it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I seem to recall one situation quite a while ago where someone offered to be a groomer operator for a club. It turned out that there wasn't any trail access from his home so he would take the groomer home at the end of a run and park it in his yard until the next day. Basically he was creating a personal groomed trail from his home to the actual trail. I think those are "the old days" and not something we really see happening anymore but there is still the perceptions of permit buyers to deal with. I can't count the number of times I was doing trail patrol and people believed I was supplied with a sled and fuel to do it. 

Exactly.

There are some people that can't believe that those of us that volunteer our labour are doing it for free. When I've made stuff for the club, the material is ordered on a district PO & my time in the shop. I guess I could bill them for the MIG gas & wire 

:wtf:

On 4/25/2021 at 2:10 PM, 02Sled said:

Perception is for sure an issue - which is unfortunate.

As a permit buyer - I can only speak for myself and i can tell you that the only thing I care about is that trails exist, and grooming is being done at a reasonable level and that's it - the rest is quite frankly none of my business as a permit holder only. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 2:10 PM, 02Sled said:

LOL.

I use the groomer now to groom the trail from my place to the OFSC trail that is next to my property.

It's kinda nice not having to road run....not that I had to before, it's only 1000 feet through my back "40".

Now with that aside, the groomer lives here, as of this year. Fuel tank, oil, parts etc. etc. It comes in my shop at least weekly to get thawed out, serviced and repaired. Small stuff like wiper blades, bolts, grease etc, I just order and install and it's absorbed as if used for my business

I don't take anything for the heat required ( in floor Natural Gas), laying down the rubber belting I got free from work for the concrete or the clean up of the mess. Don't even really clock in when the actual work on it happens.

I think of that as doing my part. Everyone I know just does it, 

My wife doesn't give me much grief either that her service van has to stay outside because the groomer is taking her spot in the shop.

This year was a strange one. We shared a groomer. For weeks, operators came and went at all hours. 

All good guys, but imagine the dog barking at random times of the night, camera's warnings going off, motion lights activating as guys come and go at all hours of the day.

No biggie. Groomer needs to move.

Anyone who complains about groomer operations needs to be educated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Awesome vooodooo ! !

53 minutes ago, vooodooo said:

LOL.

I use the groomer now to groom the trail from my place to the OFSC trail that is next to my property.

It's kinda nice not having to road run....not that I had to before, it's only 1000 feet through my back "40".

Now with that aside, the groomer lives here, as of this year. Fuel tank, oil, parts etc. etc. It comes in my shop at least weekly to get thawed out, serviced and repaired. Small stuff like wiper blades, bolts, grease etc, I just order and install and it's absorbed as if used for my business

I don't take anything for the heat required ( in floor Natural Gas), laying down the rubber belting I got free from work for the concrete or the clean up of the mess. Don't even really clock in when the actual work on it happens.

I think of that as doing my part. Everyone I know just does it, 

My wife doesn't give me much grief either that her service van has to stay outside because the groomer is taking her spot in the shop.

This year was a strange one. We shared a groomer. For weeks, operators came and went at all hours. 

All good guys, but imagine the dog barking at random times of the night, camera's warnings going off, motion lights activating as guys come and go at all hours of the day.

No biggie. Groomer needs to move.

Anyone who complains about groomer operations needs to be educated.

Thank you for all you do. Nothiing wrong with the groomer grooming to its home shop and back to main trail. Anyone concerned about that happening isn't worth worrying about. JMHO

54 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

amazing that this is all a problem but trudeau still gets re elected 

It's all about optics.

We all know politicians are idiots, being polite