ofsc now says that pres of the club will not be paid to groom

mike37

Just  heard that the ofsc will not be paying the pres of the club next year for any grooming hours anyone heard of this new one  for club  the clubs boy hard to get volunteers  now this nice move ofsc   what next     .....

25 minutes ago, mike37 said:

Just  heard that the ofsc will not be paying the pres of the club next year for any grooming hours anyone heard of this new one  for club  the clubs boy hard to get volunteers  now this nice move ofsc   what next     .....

cite the source, where this came from. and in what context the question was asked, to get this type of answer. genuinly curious... this is how nasty rumors get started. Ski

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

It has been policy for a while now that a standing board member cannot be paid for grooming.

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

So your saying if the President of a OFSC Snowmobile Club, is out grooming,  the club will not be paid for those grooming hours done by the President of that club? 

I think it the president will not be paid.

8 minutes ago, soupkids said:

I think it the president will not be paid.

I agree Soup. 
The president will not receive a paycheck for grooming hours worked. I think this is reasonable as there is potential for a conflict of interest. Wording of original post leaves room for misunderstanding.  Clubs don't get paid grooming hours for the groomer engine hours any longer TD. The OFSC owns the groomers and the district offices pay for the grooming expenses.

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I agree Soup. 
The president will not receive a paycheck for grooming hours worked. I think this is reasonable as there is potential for a conflict of interest. Wording of original post leaves room for misunderstanding.  Clubs don't get paid grooming hours for the groomer engine hours any longer TD. The OFSC owns the groomers and the district offices pay for the grooming expenses.

So the President of a club cannot personally be paid a wage for grooming?. 

Edited by Turbo Doo

4 minutes ago, signfan said:

Yep.  Not a new rule.   Basically anyone sitting on a district board or sitting on the provincial board.  Been this way for a while.  Right or wrong it's policy.

Well, I would have to agree then. Keeps the sticky fingers and any potential of conflict of interest at bay then.

Unless Ontario not for profit corp laws have changed in the past few weeks, a club president or anyone that sits on a club or district board can be paid to groom, or paid for any other agreed upon paid position. Though they must remove themselves from the table during any and all discussions and decision making regarding paid positions.  

Edited by Nutter
  • Thanks 7

10 hours ago, Nutter said:

Unless Ontario not for profit corp laws have changed in the past few weeks, a club president or anyone that sits on a club or district board can be paid to groom, or paid for any other agreed upon paid position. Though they must remove themselves from the table during any and all discussions and decision making regarding paid positions.  

It caused quite the kerfuffle in D12 a few years ago, presidents of clubs who groomed where given a choice, groom or president, many quit to groom.

6 minutes ago, soupkids said:

It caused quite the kerfuffle in D12 a few years ago, presidents of clubs who groomed where given a choice, groom or president, many quit to groom.

So this is not something new for next season then?. It's been in place for a while now? Was it always like this?. Did that decision get made, because of some bad apples?. 

What nutter is saying makes total sense. That not stoping anyone from doing anything they enjoy, which includes grooming if need by president and still getting paid. I know several clubs on face book that had prez out grooming during peak times, maybe sometime called in sick and groomer needs to go out. In that case I see no issue with prez taking spot if he is qualified to do so and another operator isn’t available to fill spot. 

On 4/6/2021 at 9:09 AM, Turbo Doo said:

So this is not something new for next season then?. It's been in place for a while now? Was it always like this?. Did that decision get made, because of some bad apples?. 

Because a club president can vote on what a groomers hourly wage would be, there is a conflict of interest for allowing such.

And my understanding going forward pres' is the only official position.

I know [b]in the past[/b] some directors were operators and had to leave the meeting when wages were being discussed. Now that the district is handling wages, that is mo longer a concern.

Not seeing the rationale in this.

Our district pays groomer operators a wage based on years of experience. It isn't much of a gap from low to high, and it is done at district, not voted on by club board members.

I am a trail work volunteer for the last few decades (55 kms worth currently), groomer operator for last 10+ years, and this year, second time in 30 years, a club board member, only because the need for representation from my area is needed.

Lots of riders around here, but most are "too busy" to do anything more than pay a couple hundred bucks for a pass, and offer "constructive criticism".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/6/2021 at 9:09 AM, Turbo Doo said:

Looks like someone that is new on the ofsc is going by the book. He said that it could be a conflict. The pres can say how much they get paid and how much they can groom. I agree with Nutter that when the dist is desiding on pay on payed posetions that the pres of the club has no vote. So the Dist sets the pay amount and the club groomer cordinator organizes the grooming. so what is the problem

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RotaxMike said:

Looks like someone that is new on the ofsc is going by the book. He said that it could be a conflict. The pres can say how much they get paid and how much they can groom. I agree with Nutter that when the dist is desiding on pay on payed posetions that the pres of the club has no vote. So the Dist sets the pay amount and the club groomer cordinator organizes the grooming. so what is the problem

Good points also..

Edited by Turbo Doo

5 hours ago, RotaxMike said:

The president of the club should be a sitting member of the district board.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Crow said:

Not seeing the rationale in this.

Our district pays groomer operators a wage based on years of experience. It isn't much of a gap from low to high, and it is done at district, not voted on by club board members.

I am a trail work volunteer for the last few decades (55 kms worth currently), groomer operator for last 10+ years, and this year, second time in 30 years, a club board member, only because the need for representation from my area is needed.

Lots of riders around here, but most are "too busy" to do anything more than pay a couple hundred bucks for a pass, and offer "constructive criticism".

Ty for clearing that up. All I know is some club president’s  around here would groom for 8 or so hours during week and would usually not even take hourly wage either. That is dedication. 

On 4/10/2021 at 9:21 AM, RotaxMike said:

That is pretty much the case now. That being said the club presidents would likely be @ district meetings where pay rates are discussed.

• Thanks 1