Dealer stories- Good and bad

UsedtoSkidoo

The NCDN thread inspired me for this and I would like to start a seperate thread for dealers who will go above and beyond and those that may not. Maybe a little positivity is what we need at this time for our covid covered winter.

I will start

I ordered parts 3 times from Wildbill at Rosseau Road for this winter and he has them shipped from Parry sound to Port Sydney. Every time it was the right part and they were always there when i showed up. Great service and unless its a Skidoo (and now Polaris :blink:) only part I will order from Bill. That kind of service and loyalty is incredible versus somewhere like a certain Majestically named big box snowmobile parts place that has stores in Guelph, Barrie, Sudbury etc.....that the parts people have to look up in the catalogue to determine what slider fits a skidoo rail (they are all the same from 1999 on up BTW.)

He even has Doo Oil for the same price for those of us who are still rocking 2 strokes 

Thanks Bill, It made my winter and  sledding  easier.

Oh and to Energy Powersports................you guys can never have my business.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

You asked for a little positivity  then proceed to tramp on a dealer and a supplier . 

• Like 1

Well the thread does state good and bad.

Good is the positive and it was first!

From a dealer perspective that I have dealt with that were good was Team, Dryland and All Terrain Cycle.

Team is still around and never had any issues

Dryland is closed (working out of house), I always had good dealings but I know many did not

ATC is also closed, they were close to home and guys there were really good to deal with

ORPS has been a great local parts shop to deal with vs. Royal

Latest purchase was Quinn's, so far the process of getting a price and ordering has been good, we will see how the delivery & PDI, as well the accessories I buy and possible warranty if the need arises or service that I may need to use them for.

• Like 2

Unfortunately they don't sell snowmobiles, but for anything Honda, KW Honda is fantastic. 

Its really frustrating these days to attempt make a major purchase. In the past 6 months I have not received any follow up from a truck dealer (purchased new truck at a different dealer), 2 tractor dealers (purchased new tractor at different dealer) and still waiting for the snowmobile dealer to call back (sent e-mail on weekend and v-mail on Monday - not holding my breath). Without going into details, it should have been apparent to all these dealers that I was a serious buyer.

• Sad 1

I was at Apex Cycle in Cambridge yesterday getting an oil change kit for the sled. Talking with the parts guy and he was saying that parts availability from all of the manufacturers they represent has been a real problem over the last year. I've been very happy with the their parts department.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, woodzi said:

Unfortunately they don't sell snowmobiles, but for anything Honda, KW Honda is fantastic. 

Its really frustrating these days to attempt make a major purchase. In the past 6 months I have not received any follow up from a truck dealer (purchased new truck at a different dealer), 2 tractor dealers (purchased new tractor at different dealer) and still waiting for the snowmobile dealer to call back (sent e-mail on weekend and v-mail on Monday - not holding my breath). Without going into details, it should have been apparent to all these dealers that I was a serious buyer.

KW Honda X2. Bought a line trimmer and snowblower from them last year. Great service,  always answered our questions professionally, and just good bunch of guys to deal with, is what I have experienced. 

Edited by Turbo Doo
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, coldfinger said:

You asked for a little positivity  then proceed to tramp on a dealer and a supplier . 

yup. Says Good first and the bad.....................so while I mostly spoke about how good Bill was (he is also a contributing member I see you chose to focus on the bad that I said. 

Ok so you get it now. Mostly positive is good but yet some bad. 

Do you have a good or bad story you wish to share?

The good, the bad?  How about the ugly.  lol.

Its great when dealer(s) deliver on goods but when they don't (it happens) and how that gets taken care of is the true distinguishing measure.  crap happens don't make your customers your scapegoat.  

Also something that gets missed often is the value add in customer service.

• Like 2

Definitely a true attest to anyone is how they handle things when things go bad. 
Fix the problem first and then circle back on the why and how. 
Mistakes will always happen, it’s the world we live in, even more so now. 

15 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Its great when dealer(s) deliver on goods but when they don't (it happens) and how that gets taken care of is the true distinguishing measure.  crap happens don't make your customers your scapegoat.  

2 minutes ago, stoney said:

Definitely a true attest to anyone is how they handle things when things go bad. 

yup i always tell cusomers right off the bat that i will make a mistake somewhere like everyone else but i will fix it immediately. 

1 hour ago, ArcticCrusher said:

1 hour ago, stoney said:

You guys are right.  It's all about how they handle the situation, and how they go about rectifying it, that seperates the good ones,  from the bad ones.  

• Like 1

Can't say I've had any real terrible experiences, maybe we're lucky?

1. Quinlans - Polaris - they always treated our family tremendously, good pricing on new units, good value on trades, would drop anything to help us out. No longer in business.

2. Jansenns - Polaris-  Went there after Quinlans closed up shop - one of the guys there worked at a marina on our lake, was a great guy - like Quinlans, always treated us well and were fair and good to deal with. Called Northgate now I think?

3. Performance Recreation - Polaris - moved there after Jansenns - this one came to down to $ - they offered me a much better dollar on a trade in - so much so I could not refuse the deal. I'm not a real dollars and cents guy - but this one only made too much financial sense at the time. Top notch people in there for me. Still in business

4. ATC - Cat - I bought my 2012 with a little over 100 miles on it from a kid that worked at a Cat dealership in Exeter. They are too far in the wrong direction for me to use regularly - so I picked it up - took it to ATC to get gone over, have some accessories put on - and we left for a trip. Super easy to deal with - did all warranty updates - treated me well. No longer in business

5. Carlsons - Cat - been taking my Cat there for service since ATC shut the doors, always been good - work done on time - no bullshit - you get what you paid for - nothing done without you knowing and okaying it - I've been happy with them and have no complaints.

My folks use Rickwards for their Polaris needs - they are very happy there as well.

No nightmares for me to speak of, have called a few places for pricing every now and again - but that's about it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Can't say I've had any real terrible experiences, maybe we're lucky?

1. Quinlans - Polaris - they always treated our family tremendously, good pricing on new units, good value on trades, would drop anything to help us out. No longer in business.

2. Jansenns - Polaris-  Went there after Quinlans closed up shop - one of the guys there worked at a marina on our lake, was a great guy - like Quinlans, always treated us well and were fair and good to deal with. Called Northgate now I think?

3. Performance Recreation - Polaris - moved there after Jansenns - this one came to down to $ - they offered me a much better dollar on a trade in - so much so I could not refuse the deal. I'm not a real dollars and cents guy - but this one only made too much financial sense at the time. Top notch people in there for me. Still in business

4. ATC - Cat - I bought my 2012 with a little over 100 miles on it from a kid that worked at a Cat dealership in Exeter. They are too far in the wrong direction for me to use regularly - so I picked it up - took it to ATC to get gone over, have some accessories put on - and we left for a trip. Super easy to deal with - did all warranty updates - treated me well. No longer in business

5. Carlsons - Cat - been taking my Cat there for service since ATC shut the doors, always been good - work done on time - no bullshit - you get what you paid for - nothing done without you knowing and okaying it - I've been happy with them and have no complaints.

My folks use Rickwards for their Polaris needs - they are very happy there as well.

No nightmares for me to speak of, have called a few places for pricing every now and again - but that's about it.

Glenn(aka) Slippery, and the boys at Performance Recreation are good to deal with. In my Polaris days, that's who I used.  :right_on:

• Like 1

Big call out to Fenelon Falls Marine and Orillia Power Sports; although no longer sell sleds. DeWildt Marine in Innisfil, not a fan.  

• Like 1

We have used Rickwards, Performance Recreation and mostly Deboers Equipment for Polaris and never a problem.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ontariof7 said:

Big call out to Fenelon Falls Marine and Orillia Power Sports; although no longer sell sleds. DeWildt Marine in Innisfil, not a fan.  

They opened up in the location where White Water Marine was east of Peterborough. I really can't see the place being open long as their parking lot always seems empty. Never seems to be any customer traffic there.

No real horror stories, a couple of middling service issues that should've been noticed before I picked up a sled.

Wasn't impressed with Bennett after they moved to Whitby. They had an ATV in the shop for several months waiting for parts. Only real service we've had on the Corridor was getting the DESS cords for our 3 sleds reprogrammed to recognise each sled (or whatever) @ Dan's in Kap'. They wheeled the BUDS gizmo out the door & did it in half an hour. Only issue was the tech didn't realise my sled was a SDI (other 2 were carbed). Once that was noted, the job was completed. I think what they charged us for the 3 sleds/6 DESS cords was what Whitewater/Gateway were going to charge per sled & then we'd have to drop the sleds off...

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, gobills said:

Peak powersports and nothing but amazing things to say about them.   Always reliable service and support.  Go performance as well was great but, no longer in business.

Go performance all the way!! Todd was/is the man!! Great guy all around!!

• Like 2

What happened to go performance? They closed down per above. I bought a used sled there a while back and he seemed like a decent guy. 

1 hour ago, willb said:

What happened to go performance? They closed down per above. I bought a used sled there a while back and he seemed like a decent guy. 

I could be wrong but I thought there was some sort of falling out with Polaris. I know when he was in London, he was pissed bc Polaris gave dealer status to Inglis cycle which was only a few blocks from his location. That prompted the move to Dorchester I believe. Perhaps someone else knows what actually happened 

1 hour ago, T bird said:

I could be wrong but I thought there was some sort of falling out with Polaris. I know when he was in London, he was pissed bc Polaris gave dealer status to Inglis cycle which was only a few blocks from his location. That prompted the move to Dorchester I believe. Perhaps someone else knows what actually happened 

I am quite good friends with Todd.  I still talk to him regularly.   I liked dealing at Go Performance.   I am not speaking on his behalf but I know that Polaris was pressuring him to remodel his store and he just couldnt justify the expense of doing it.   I think it had more to do with the fact that Inglis was also set up and they made some big promises about how much business they would do but they wanted Todd gone.    Turns out that it really bit Polaris in the azz as Inglis quit as a dealer not long after Todd closed up shop so now there is zero Polaris presence in the area now.  

59 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I am quite good friends with Todd.  I still talk to him regularly.   I liked dealing at Go Performance.   I am not speaking on his behalf but I know that Polaris was pressuring him to remodel his store and he just couldnt justify the expense of doing it.   I think it had more to do with the fact that Inglis was also set up and they made some big promises about how much business they would do but they wanted Todd gone.    Turns out that it really bit Polaris in the azz as Inglis quit as a dealer not long after Todd closed up shop so now there is zero Polaris presence in the area now.  

Heard thru the rumor mill also, that Polaris wanted Performance Recreation to remodel/redo the showroom. From what I understand,  Glenn(aka) Slippery, told them no. I think he is still a Polaris dealer from what I can see.:wtf:. Our Doo dealer had to redo their showroom last spring/summer, and spent big bucks. 

1 hour ago, scottyr said:

He was my go to guy for many years as well. Was sad to see him pack it in but understandable when the dollars don’t make sense.