Dealer stories- Good and bad

UsedtoSkidoo

Long story, but back in about 2003 4 of us were planning a trip to ride from Thedford Ontario to Kapuskasing. I was riding a rather Problematic machine at the time and didn't trust it to make the trip. I went in to Fast Track Performance in Dorchester,  who I had been dealing with for parts for a while, and told Charlie that I needed a used sled that he could guarantee would make the trip. Bought a 2001 Zrt 800 that he had. 2 days later we were on the trails. About 10kms from from finishing the trip in Kap, I called him from the side of the trail, and let him know she seized up. He said drop it off when you get home. It took 2 jugs, pistons, crank and balance shaft to rebuild it, and he handed it back. No questions asked.

I have now bought 4 sleds, 2 bikes and I would hate to guess how much other "stuff" from them, because of that customer service I received 18yrs ago.

• Like 8

Keep in mind dealers get paid for warranty work by manu's in parts credit, I would think that would have a huge bearing in what gets stocked and what gets ordered. I'm guessing they need to turn over warranty credit parts as quick as possible just to cover the cost of the warranty work they did. For sure a juggling act I wouldn't want to deal with. 

2 hours ago, Nutter said:

Keep in mind dealers get paid for warranty work by manu's in parts credit, I would think that would have a huge bearing in what gets stocked and what gets ordered. I'm guessing they need to turn over warranty credit parts as quick as possible just to cover the cost of the warranty work they did. For sure a juggling act I wouldn't want to deal with. 

Are you speaking of snowmobile dealers?

7 hours ago, Nutter said:

Dealers have to apply for warranty consideration.  Sometimes they are refused and either have to fight for it or bill customer for repair or eat the cost of repair.

And the factory gives the warranty parts to dealer but dealer does not make margin on these parts.  only makes money on the Labour on the warranty repair.   And warranty repair might be at a set rate for labour on a repair while labour might be higher if they run into an issue during the repair.

Its better for a dealer to do a customer billed job as they make money on parts and labour.

53 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Dealers have to apply for warranty consideration.  Sometimes they are refused and either have to fight for it or bill customer for repair or eat the cost of repair.

And the factory gives the warranty parts to dealer but dealer does not make margin on these parts.  only makes money on the Labour on the warranty repair.   And warranty repair might be at a set rate for labour on a repair while labour might be higher if they run into an issue during the repair.

Its better for a dealer to do a customer billed job as they make money on parts and labour.

I wouldn't be so sure of that information. 

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

That was not the way warranty parts worked with either of the truck brand dealerships that I worked at. dealers were allowed a specified percentage of markup on warranty parts.

Dealers definitely get paid a markup on warranty parts.    

The flat rate that is paid is sometimes the issue.

4 hours ago, Sksman said:

Dealer gets cost plus 10% in auto warranty parts in automotive, should be the same in powers ports. They incur costs to handle parts.

14 minutes ago, scottyr said:

Dealers definitely get paid a markup on warranty parts.    

The flat rate that is paid is sometimes the issue.

The dealers usually are not as uptight about the warranty hours paid as are the techs doing the work. It depernds how much cp work is not getting sold due to warranty sucking up shop time.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, catinental couch said:

It was much more than 10% when I worked for Ford. 

Much more than 10% where I worked to. Mind you parts cost to run the department was way more than 10% of parts cost as well.

Most OEMs pay retail now.   KTM pays retail on parts for warranty work.   

I will have to check at work what we get.

At a previous employer we did not make margin on warranty parts.  Small construction equipment supplier dealing with smaller manufacturer.

Then again maybe I was misled by owner also.

3 hours ago, Sksman said:

I will have to check at work what we get.

At a previous employer we did not make margin on warranty parts.  Small construction equipment supplier dealing with smaller manufacturer.

Then again maybe I was misled by owner also.

Different industries have different standards 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 5:13 PM, Sksman said:

And get paid on time!

• 3 months later...

Rickwards in Kearney is the best dealer I have been to in Ontario.While on a sadlebag trip my new sleds brake lite quit working.We stopped by there Nad Mike the Owners Son came out and looked at it. He said he would take it into the shop and let me know what he found.The sled was brand new and waraanty work in Ontario is not honored on a US sled.he said I could pay for a new one and turn the bill into Polaris when I got home.I said ok.He looked and did not have one in stock as it was a new model.20 minutes later he returned riding my ,sled with the brake lite working! He said the original lite was burnt out and as they are 1 piece he had to replace the

the entire assembly.I asked him what my bill came to and he said nothing! He said he took a brand new lite off one of the showroom sleds to help me out.When ever our crew is in the area we always stop and buy something from them.Great Dealer! If you see this post Rickwards Family THANK YOU for the help!

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, pete/ny said:

Rickwards in Kearney is the best dealer I have been to in Ontario.While on a sadlebag trip my new sleds brake lite quit working.We stopped by there Nad Mike the Owners Son came out and looked at it. He said he would take it into the shop and let me know what he found.The sled was brand new and waraanty work in Ontario is not honored on a US sled.he said I could pay for a new one and turn the bill into Polaris when I got home.I said ok.He looked and did not have one in stock as it was a new model.20 minutes later he returned riding my ,sled with the brake lite working! He said the original lite was burnt out and as they are 1 piece he had to replace the

the entire assembly.I asked him what my bill came to and he said nothing! He said he took a brand new lite off one of the showroom sleds to help me out.When ever our crew is in the area we always stop and buy something from them.Great Dealer! If you see this post Rickwards Family THANK YOU for the help!

Great stuff. Good dealers are hard to come by. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, pete/ny said:

Thanks for sharing, I’ve sent a pic of this to Mike as he’s a  friend of mine and great family dealership. 

• Like 4

On 3/25/2021 at 4:42 PM, Spiderman said:

Our first dealer ended their relationship with Polaris over forced units.

Long story short - dealer put his order in - Polaris said - nope - you're taking this many units - and these specific units on top of your order - dealer said nope - I'll take my order or nothing - nothing it was - end of relationship :)

I believe to be BRP these days - you have to have so many sq/ft - and highway side visual.

I fear this is what’s happening/happened to our only dealer (any brand) for hours. I’ve heard rumors that they (Colborne Skidoo) aren’t an official BRP dealership anymore, for real this time, but that’s also been rumored for years. We bought new from him 2 years ago but last year had to go to Lynn Hoy for the new sled. Lynn Hoy was awesome to deal with, so may be worth the drive anyway. 

6 hours ago, Christy said:

I fear this is what’s happening/happened to our only dealer (any brand) for hours. I’ve heard rumors that they (Colborne Skidoo) aren’t an official BRP dealership anymore, for real this time, but that’s also been rumored for years. We bought new from him 2 years ago but last year had to go to Lynn Hoy for the new sled. Lynn Hoy was awesome to deal with, so may be worth the drive anyway. 

Hope not.

JMO but he should look at moving to the now defunct gym.

8 hours ago, Christy said:

Happened to us too when brp shut down blue sky in new Hamburg.  Now,  I go to St mary’s, since I don’t like other dealer choice near by. 
St mary’s Just sells sleds and quads. If brp every shuts them down, I am

Finished with skidoo, I go back to Polaris. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, vooodooo said:

Hope not.

JMO but he should look at moving to the now defunct gym.

I heard the gym was done...right beside our trail too 🤔 

Is your new sled ordered through him? I heard a few last year that ordered there and never got sleds. Don’t worry, you can ride double behind me 😂 This girl does not ride b!tch. 

LOL.

I don't  ride bitch either,

I tried to order local...never answered the phone and the online ordering is a joke.

Ordered from Lyn Hoy.

I can ride the brothers spare sled as a last resort...but it's a Yamahacat and I'm straight, possibly a lesbian.

Will that matter?

29 minutes ago, vooodooo said:

LOL.

I don't  ride bitch either,

I tried to order local...never answered the phone and the online ordering is a joke.

Ordered from Lyn Hoy.

I can ride the brothers spare sled as a last resort...but it's a Yamahacat and I'm straight, possibly a lesbian.

Will that matter?

Same. Lynn Hoy and the other. 😂