vent for enclosed trailer?

zoso

I intend to store our sleds in the trailer over the summer. It has no vents. Is it imperative that I install a couple due to condensation? I will be install an electrical 120 volt plug in for the battery tenders and figured seeing I am already doing that it may be a good time to add vents.MICTUNING 15Amp 250V AC Port Plug with 18 inches Integrated Extension Cord Y Splitter Cable and Water-Resistant Cap - Black

Yes, you should install vents, if your trailer doesn't already have them. Otherwise I believe you'll have condensation issues.

I use several 20 and 40 foot sea containers for storage, and have found it necessary to supplement the minimal standard venting with additional or larger venting. 

1 hour ago, Blake G said:

Yes, you should install vents, if your trailer doesn't already have them. Otherwise I believe you'll have condensation issues.

I use several 20 and 40 foot sea containers for storage, and have found it necessary to supplement the minimal standard venting with additional or larger venting. 

Makes sense, think I will do it. Thanks.

Make sure the vents have fine screen or the trailer will be home to 10,000 flys when you go to get the sleds out the first time.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

Make sure the vents have fine screen or the trailer will be home to 10,000 flys when you go to get the sleds out the first time.

And quarter inch hardware cloth - screen - against mice and squirrels. If they can get a nose in it, they can chew a hole in it. 

Just another thought - most trailers have a single vent somewhere along the top of one wall. If you want good ventilation, install one vent low on one side and one vent high on the other side at the rear. As because warm air rises, you will have a flow from the lower vent to the higher vent. Just have to install some kind of louver on them to prevent road crap while towing in the winter. You can get some estimation as to the size of vent you need by multiplying length X width X height to find the cubic volume of air in your trailer and decide how many cubic feet per (hour? day?) you want to move through.

My dad was a mine ventilation technician and I would sit at his knee while he figured out volumes and flows for a whole mine system....continually updated as new work areas opened up and others got filled in. Used something called a slide rule? 

• Like 3

Generally events at the front are mounted high to avoid road crap, and tears low, mi e are mounted this way

I store the sleds in a trailer, and the trailer out of the sun. I've measured temps in excessive of 45c in the trailer if the trailer sits in the sun, on hot days. Seems like those temps may bake the rubber and/or vinyl? My Triton has a small wall vent, which does little in fact.

So question.  Are you guys storing your sleds in the trailer because you have no room for them elsewhere?. Personally for me, I would never ever leave them in the trailer. Temperature swings, and thieves are my main concerns.  Also, I like em inside, period. I've been inside my '20 PR147 Triton,  at the height of the summer,  and even with vents,  I could never imagine storing sleds in there.  Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

So question.  Are you guys storing your sleds in the trailer because you have no room for them elsewhere?. Personally for me, I would never ever leave them in the trailer. Temperature swings, and thieves are my main concerns.  Also, I like em inside, period. I've been inside my '20 PR147 Triton,  at the height of the summer,  and even with vents,  I could never imagine storing sleds in there.  Just my opinion. 

Don't have alternative storage so they are kept in the trailer although the ability to work on them in a garage would be great in that I keep burning the top of my head when it touches the interior top of the trailer when I stand up unawares. As per Gadgetman's query, I am thinking the UV light would have a worse effect on rubber and vinyl than heat. One benefit of trailer storage is having better control over rodent infiltration - in a garage mice might be a problem and I see a lot of garage doors left open for extended periods of time. 

4 hours ago, slomo said:

I keep burning the top of my head when it touches the interior top of the trailer when I stand up unawares. 

You need an Ontario Conditions hat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gtserider said:

One trailer I store has a solar powered vent with a fan.I believe it is from a marine application.

That's a great idea - and got me thinking about a solar charging thingy for the two sled mounted batteries in the trailer. I usually hook them up to a battery tender on a timer clock, but a large enough solar panel might work for all three. 

Amazon

20210323_185809.jpg

Edited by Blake G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Blake G said:

Amazon

20210323_185809.jpg

Looks like a great idea Blake. Would need to come up with an alternative mounting system or line up some pieces of steel under the aluminum roof skin. Would work great on the sea cans though.

I have my Cutlass convertible in a seacan with the solar panel magnetized on the outside of the door. In a couple of weeks I'll see if the car starts...

• Like 4

19 hours ago, gtserider said:

One trailer I store has a solar powered vent with a fan.I believe it is from a marine application.

I do the same. Got this unit from West Marine years ago

Plus it is reversible (suck or blow)

10447100_LRG.09042018090014.jpg

Edited by Bigfish
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 9:36 PM, Turbo Doo said:

I have a garage and a garden garage that is 12 by 20. I have three sleds two motorcycles and a riding mower and still want room to actually do work in the garage as well as all my saws and tools are taking up space. I can fit all this stuff in my spaces, but then have no room to do anything. Storing the sleds in the trailer helps with space for sure. I have a large property and will be storing the trailer in the back in shade.

• Like 1

I stored the Apex in a garden shed once. 

Once.

I had checked in on it pretty frequently, then lapsed. When I went back after a month...

Little buggers had pulled the SOS pads out of the muffler outlets, and moved in. 

The "nose cone" where the CDI and a MILE of wire lives had new tenants. 

Last year the sleds lived in the trailer, this year, I WILL be travelling, unless the military set up road blocks, so I'll be needing the trailer to bring bikes and quad. 

Going to find a way to stack them on shelves in the garage.

My old Polaris 550fan was stored in an old Uhaul truck box and there was little ventilation we realized too late as most of the parts that were steel were corroding quite badly. I now have a proper enclolsed trailer that the sleds are stored in and they have been fine. No rust or corrosion due to the side and top vents.

Jerry

• Like 1