No Helmet law in Michigan

revrnd

24 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

That's easy to solve, have the insurance company ask if you ride with or without helmet and get appropriate coverage.

As for the care denied, I don't think so.  Why do we have to pay for those with unhealthy lifestyles then, smoking, drinking  etc, see where that will go.  

Not a problem then. We should leave helmet laws as is in Ontario.

1 hour ago, Wildman said:

I always said the same thing, I was at Daytona bike week and I did take my helmet, I never did put it on, felt real weird at  first, and I was comfortable around town and what not, and it is a different kind of surroundings that week. People are very aware, there are still crashes but not near what you would think with as many people as there are there. I did get out on my own 1 day and I was just riding twisty 2 lanes, realized I was close to Ocala and got to thinking I should go over n check out Don Garlits place, so I get out on 75 and I will tell you, that will never happen again without a helmet. I did bike week in Arizona and wore a helmet everywhere I rode. As a general rule, I would pretty much wear a helmet even when there is no law saying so, especially in Michigan, even if the drivers weren't crazy the roads are junk, lol

:cheers: 

Never been there!

1 hour ago, Wildman said:

I always said the same thing, I was at Daytona bike week and I did take my helmet, I never did put it on, felt real weird at  first, and I was comfortable around town and what not, and it is a different kind of surroundings that week. People are very aware, there are still crashes but not near what you would think with as many people as there are there. I did get out on my own 1 day and I was just riding twisty 2 lanes, realized I was close to Ocala and got to thinking I should go over n check out Don Garlits place, so I get out on 75 and I will tell you, that will never happen again without a helmet. I did bike week in Arizona and wore a helmet everywhere I rode. As a general rule, I would pretty much wear a helmet even when there is no law saying so, especially in Michigan, even if the drivers weren't crazy the roads are junk, lol

I would like to go to Daytona one day. But i would probably still wear a helmet. I only wear a "half" helmet so not a lot of protection as it is,but i always wear a jacket of some type and gloves no matter what the temperature is outside.

7 hours ago, skidooboy said:

again, play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Ski

Left my tekvest in the trailer for one day this season for the first time in about 10 years. Was 5 degrees  out oops.jpg.6c43c0e4f294d25d357f72376a60f85b.jpgand figured I was going to overheat with the vest on.

Guess which day I won the prize of a cracked a rib and a windshield.....

I was leading a group 15 minutes into a ride on a fresh groomed trail, caught a bi-level groomer track on a wide sweeper.

Provided much entertainment  and photo ops for the gang.:icon_photo::photo::icon_photo:        :ehh:

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, lastzrt said:

Left my tekvest in the trailer for one day this season for the first time in about 10 years. Was 5 degrees  out oops.jpg.6c43c0e4f294d25d357f72376a60f85b.jpgand figured I was going to overheat with the vest on.

Guess which day I won the prize of a cracked a rib and a windshield.....

I was leading a group 15 minutes into a ride on a fresh groomed trail, caught a bi-level groomer track on a wide sweeper.

Provided much entertainment  and photo ops for the gang.:icon_photo::photo::icon_photo:        :ehh:

Ouch!

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, revrnd said:

:cheers: 

Never been there!

it is pretty cool, he has allot of stuff in there, I spent the better part of 4hrs looking through everything, there is a bunch of Smokey Yunicks stuff in there. Tons of drag racing memorabilia from all the big names, defiantly worth the look if you like that kind thing and your in the area. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wildman said:

it is pretty cool, he has allot of stuff in there, I spent the better part of 4hrs looking through everything, there is a bunch of Smokey Yunicks stuff in there. Tons of drag racing memorabilia from all the big names, defiantly worth the look if you like that kind thing and your in the area. 

Reading some of Smokey's stories are pretty funny. One was when NASCAR took the fuel cell out of his car due to size 'issues'. He jumped in it, fired it up, drove it out of the garage area & back to his shop in town...

11 hours ago, revrnd said:

Reading some of Smokey's stories are pretty funny. One was when NASCAR took the fuel cell out of his car due to size 'issues'. He jumped in it, fired it up, drove it out of the garage area & back to his shop in town...

He did some crazy things, I can't remember how many feet of fuel line he put in a nascar but it was abnormally large amount, sent the goons in a tailspin. He also filled roll bar tubing with lead shot  to get through tech and meet weight requirements, then he would dump it out on the track. I could listen to his stories all day if given a chance. The man was a wizard of his time and many of his over stock improvements are still used today. His dyno is in Garlits museum as are some of his cars.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wildman said:

He did some crazy things, I can't remember how many feet of fuel line he put in a nascar but it was abnormally large amount, sent the goons in a tailspin. He also filled roll bar tubing with lead shot  to get through tech and meet weight requirements, then he would dump it out on the track. I could listen to his stories all day if given a chance. The man was a wizard of his time and many of his over stock improvements are still used today. His dyno is in Garlits museum as are some of his cars.

That's the story! Enough gas in the lines for him to drive out of the track LOL

I think it was told in reference to DW winning Daytona in the Tide car when by all accounts he should've run out of gas.

So a question for all the pro helmet people:

should our health system be burdened with and have to pay the medical expenses for a snowmobiler wearing a helmet who crashes on a OFSC groomed trail in northern Ontario at 135kmh or anything above the 50 hm/h speed limit?

If you are going to make exclusions for risky behaviour there will be a very long long list developed!

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

should our health system be burdened with and have to pay the medical expenses for a snowmobiler wearing a helmet who crashes on a OFSC groomed trail in northern Ontario at 135kmh or anything above the 50 hm/h speed limit?

If you are going to make exclusions for risky behaviour there will be a very long long list developed!

Well if you're doing 110 on a highway marked 80 & barrel roll it into the ditch, the injuries are covered.

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

Well if you're doing 110 on a highway marked 80 & barrel roll it into the ditch, the injuries are covered.

Yes and then your insurance company pays the vast majority do they not?   

And if your at fault or charged potentially you face insurance rate increases.

What would be different with no helmet laws?

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

Yes and then your insurance company pays the vast majority do they not?   

And if your at fault or charged potentially you face insurance rate increases.

What would be different with no helmet laws?

OHIP covers the hospital bills... which are likely the most significant if there's a serious injury. 

23 hours ago, Sksman said:

Agreed, and of course they should, if they're a resident who is covered under OHIP and it's required medical treatment, then YES..... regardless of what the holier than thou finger pointers think.

If you're fat and eat like crap, should we cover stints and by-pass surgeries?

18 hours ago, 02Sled said:

OHIP covers the hospital bills... which are likely the most significant if there's a serious injury. 

If it's a catastrophic injury, the long terms costs and expenses far outweigh the initial - and most of that is through your SABS - subject to your limits and what coverages you purchased, fault etc. It's not that simple.

https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/motorvehicle.aspx

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2021 at 10:50 PM, skidooboy said:

play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I wish these idiots would have to sign a legal waiver stating, if they get into an accident, have a head injury, or worse, their personal assets are charged, not an insurance company. that would make people think twice. ok, maybe not. Ski

A) I cannot imagine sledding w/o a bucket, but only for the porpoise of staying warm and dry, and maybe keeping the wind out.

However - I doo ride with one fella that wears a bomber hood and goggles in stead of a bucket. (off trailer rider)

B ) I despise any law that is there specifically for my own safety. You worry aboot you, I'll worry aboot me. I'm a big boy now...

C) In the name of the health care cost argument - I can counter that easily. 

So, let's say that Billy gits into a jackpot.

C1) Billy will be off werk for a few weeks, but is expected to make a reasonably full recovery.

He will now retire and suck off the tit of other workers and the system (that he paid into while he was working) for the rest of his life.

C2) He is all messed up. He will likely be on disability for the rest of his life, but he will live - b/c he had his brain bucket on. 

Billy will now be a drain on society for the rest of his life.

C3) Billy is a veggy, and will be for the rest of his days, however long that may be. He will be a drain on the system for the duration. 

He will be a financial drain on The System and his family. He will be a source of angst for his family for the duration. 

But lucky for Billy, he had his bucket on, and he would have simply been pushing up daisies sooner than later.

C4) Billy got into a pickle, he did not have much safety equipment on, he died on the spot.

3 days later he is pushing up daisies, and life for the rest of the world goes on and recovers.

Billy is not a drain on the system at all. The System actually saved a BUNCH of $ b/c he paid into it for the time that he was working, and will now not be drawing off of in his retirement years, saving The System a SCHIDT POT full of Loonies in the end!

Billy was out taching out his rice rocket and missed the turn, and pile drove into something a wee bit harder than feathers, but at least he was safe aboot it - he had his bucket on - per the law....

bottom line, if you're an Ontario resident, you're entitled to healthcare, there is no moral judgement involved - no matter who you think you are.

31 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

bottom line, if you're an Ontario resident, you're entitled to healthcare, there is no moral judgement involved - no matter who you think you are.

Yup.  Should we exclude smokers, drug addicts, alcoholics, fat people, bad genes etc etc?  But hey, lets target someone in a group who I'm not a part of and does not impede my life in any way.  You don't want to wear a helmet,  your choice.

Now third party insurance is another matter that will punish people for all those above including bad genes.

Also don't assume out of country/province health insurance will cover you for anything Covid related, most do not as they consider it pre-existing. 

Edited by ArcticCrusher
  • Like 1

I know that you are highly safety conscious - or at least you like to think so...

You will have your helmet and your chest protector on,  and then go out and buy a new KTM, hop up the motor, intend to get in a race with hundreds (?) of other people on the same course at the same time. That is obviously "reasonably safe" in your mind.

But if I want to take my ATV and cruise through the bush with maybe 1 or 2 other people, not racing, but rather enjoying the natural beauty of the Algoma bush, you are going to say that I should have all that gear on too. "Well of course, be safe aboot it eh?" But if it takes all that to be "safe" in what I doo, how is it even remotely safe for you to doo the other at all? Who is more at risk?

So, you jump on your Rice. You have your helmet on, IDK aboot your chest protector here(?), but I'm sure that you will be sporting your Power Ranger suite on (in place of your sledding jammies?) and then not only intentionally run the Tail of the Dragon, but you will intend to doo it as fast as you can reasonably make it through. While if I happen accrost the same stretch of road in my dually crew cab, I need to have my seat belt on?

And then once I was told by a fella with a screen name of Need For Speed, that I need to wear my seat belt.

"Oh really... ?"

Eric, I am not here to tell you not to play like you want, but don't preach safety, let alone legislate it.

Edited by Ox

On 3/19/2021 at 9:45 AM, revrnd said:

Funny that people will spend an exorbitant amount of money for their quad or SXS & then buy a $45 open face helmet. I think this is more of a trend among the 'older' crowd. The younger riders that I see around here are partial to the MX style. Dirt bikes have never been a big thing around here, so they aren't coming from that scene. 

I'll take note of helmet styles the next time I'm out in the Ranger once the snow has gone.

I've read a few threads online about what certain states require to be street legal. One being DOT approved tire (a 14" TSL Super Swamper, similar to the old Denman Monster Mudder of the 80s, being a favoured tire). As you likely have noticed no real equipment requirements here in Ontario.

I was in Culvers in Cheyenne, Wyoming on Saturday afternoon.

No masks.

Full ketchup bottles.

And in wheels a fella in a Razor. 

His whole family jumps out and comes in for dinner.

He said that it was legal anywhere in the state - except the freeway. 

I noted that he had pick-up tarrs on it.

I cannot imagine paying for knobbies and then running the roadways!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ox said:

No masks.

Full ketchup bottles.

Many states allow the full sxs (not quads) on the roads, ie Oregon, Washington.

2 hours ago, Ox said:

No masks.

Full ketchup bottles.

@Ox SxSs & quads are legal here as well. No tire requirements, but I know what you mean. Last summer had a guy running back & forth thru the village on a Can Am set up for mudding. He lived a few miles up the paved County road. I cant imagine that being conducive to long tire life :wtf:

14" TSL Super Stampers seem to be a common DOT tire that guys will run on 'the street'.