No Helmet law in Michigan

revrnd

play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I wish these idiots would have to sign a legal waiver stating, if they get into an accident, have a head injury, or worse, their personal assets are charged, not an insurance company. that would make people think twice. ok, maybe not. Ski

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I wish these idiots would have to sign a legal waiver stating, if they get into an accident, have a head injury, or worse, their personal assets are charged, not an insurance company. that would make people think twice. ok, maybe not. Ski

Has there been a push for this ski'? How I take it it would be for a possibly special needs person/head injury victim. How many of them are snowmobilers, let alone operators. I could see if the person was a passenger & then how long/far would they be actually be riding?

I had a co-worker (city guy) ask me years ago if we wore helmets while sledding. I said for 1 thing it's mandated by the law, secondly it keeps our heads from freezing...

your post is the first I have heard of it. I honestly dont know what the thinking would be.

the only thing I can link it to is, the orv/sxs user group association, has linked themselves to the snowmobile association, for a strength in numbers thing, in the past year or so.

knowing you really cant snowmobile without a helmet due to the cold, the only reasoning I can see is, the SXS group cant smoke and drink beer, while driving through the woods, trail, or down the road (yes some can be street legal, it has went back and forth 2 times now, if they can be street legal or not, in Michigan). the street motorcycle group were able to pass a user choice of helmet use or not. the caveat being, there is a age limit, minimum 21, and you must carry an extra 20,000 in health insurance to be legal, for no helmet on motorcycle.  

again, play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Ski

• Thanks 1

Helmets on sleds keep you warm.

For riding motorcycles in the summer on the roads - I'm in full support of freedom of choice.

I think it's great those freedoms still exist and people are allowed to decide for themselves.

5 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

For riding motorcycles in the summer on the roads - I'm in full support of freedom of choice.

I think it's great those freedoms still exist and people are allowed to decide for themselves.

I would have no issue with helmet freedom of choice only if the user has signed off, agreeing to personally pay all medical expenses from head injuries caused due to not wearing a helmet.

IMHO our health system should not have to cover the cost of same.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I would have no issue with helmet freedom of choice only if the user has signed off, agreeing to personally pay all medical expenses from head injuries caused due to not wearing a helmet.

Well said....I agree...

• Like 1

I don’t think it would really apply to snowmobiling,  a bit too cold to be riding without one anyways.

In Ontario you can now wear a turban instead of a helmet.  Kinda like a soft helmet.

13 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

In theory that sounds great - but it would never work and there is no way you could implement that.

If the person pays taxes - they've paid for the medical coverage.

Further, they have benefits available to them under their insurance policy.

Perhaps - that is where coverage could be limited and restricted.

If you smoke, eat poorly etc., or make what are otherwise deemed to be poor lifestyle choices, you don't get to pick and choose what medical you get.

28 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

If you smoke, eat poorly etc., or make what are otherwise deemed to be poor lifestyle choices, you don't get to pick and choose what medical you get.

No but see what the life insurance actuaries come up w/ if that person would want to buy life insurance compared to a person that is relatively healthy and/or is a non-smoker.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, skidooboy said:

knowing you really cant snowmobile without a helmet due to the cold, the only reasoning I can see is, the SXS group cant smoke and drink beer, while driving through the woods, trail, or down the road (yes some can be street legal, it has went back and forth 2 times now, if they can be street legal or not, in Michigan).

Funny that people will spend an exorbitant amount of money for their quad or SXS & then buy a $45 open face helmet. I think this is more of a trend among the 'older' crowd. The younger riders that I see around here are partial to the MX style. Dirt bikes have never been a big thing around here, so they aren't coming from that scene. 

I'll take note of helmet styles the next time I'm out in the Ranger once the snow has gone.

I've read a few threads online about what certain states require to be street legal. One being DOT approved tire (a 14" TSL Super Swamper, similar to the old Denman Monster Mudder of the 80s, being a favoured tire). As you likely have noticed no real equipment requirements here in Ontario.

13 minutes ago, revrnd said:

No but see what the life insurance actuaries come up w/ if that person would want to buy life insurance compared to a person that is relatively healthy and/or is a non-smoker.

Yes, exactly, therefore you could control this at the insurance level if they so chose to do so.

People seem to forget motorcycles are under an OAP when on the road, which there are Accident Benefits prescribed.

2 hours ago, Spiderman said:

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

x3 on this and what my thoughts were too.

1 hour ago, Spiderman said:

In theory that sounds great - but it would never work and there is no way you could implement that.

If the person pays taxes - they've paid for the medical coverage.

I think you are on to something....lets base your premium on your life choices like the ins companies do.....

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

I did not know this but found out recently that I am a "preferred plus" client (or something along those lines) based on life ins rate/health check.....apparently I fall into a very small category, or so I am told.

Always knew I was "special".....lol.

Edited by stoney
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Cannot like this enough PLC. Ski

• Like 1

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Yes, but that is separate privately purchased coverage - not coverage via OHIP - which everyone pays into - and everyone is entitled to - whether you like it or not - that is Ontario.

OHIP have subrogated rights here too fyi.

And, just for arguments sake, understand that those who judge and take ambulances for nominal reasons in car accidents - those fees are paid back by the insurer - just an fyi.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Spiderman - isn't there some sort of tiered medical benefits with auto (and other motorized) insurance. I know I am paying extra for higher levels of medical pay outs (home care) etc. to put it above a base minimal level. It is a stretch, but could be tied into a declaration to not wearing helmets / head gear. Also, wondering how the turban wearers are treated in this situation - certainly more risk = higher payments?

On the bold, was once turned down for life insurance as I was sport parachuting at the time.

12 minutes ago, slomo said:

Spiderman - isn't there some sort of tiered medical benefits with auto (and other motorized) insurance. I know I am paying extra for higher levels of medical pay outs (home care) etc. to put it above a base minimal level. It is a stretch, but could be tied into a declaration to not wearing helmets / head gear. Also, wondering how the turban wearers are treated in this situation - certainly more risk = higher payments?

On the bold, was once turned down for life insurance as I was sport parachuting at the time.

The corporate medical insurance in the U.S. is far different than what we are used to. Company policy can even have mandatory drug testing. I managed a U.S. based team for a few years. The company paid part of the medical insurance the employee paid the rest. One of the things that was prevalent was lack of coverage for pre-existing conditions. One of the team was struggling financially due to uncovered prescriptions for his wife's pre-existing condition. Then they also had an opportunity to reduce their premium portion for not smoking or drinking and if they attended a one day good health seminar they also saved a significant amount. One of the team missed the seminar due to business travel and I had to intercede on his behalf to get him the discount conditional on attending the next seminar. I can see where there may be an impact on premiums or coverage based on participating in motor sports without a helmet. After all it is the US. 

23 minutes ago, slomo said:

Yes, there is the basic SABS coverage - and then an option to purchase up/more.

When they did the auto reform - you may recall when they were going to "lower insurance rates",  all they did was remove a whole bunch of the standard coverage - and then turned around an offered as as additional coverage - with a charge.

What happened was - you are now paying quite a bit more - for the exact same coverage you used to have - for a lower premium.

Not sure about the turbans - but in tort - if you are not wearing a helmet when you "should" be - it can reduce the liability exposure and be considered contributory on the non helmet wearer.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

That's easy to solve, have the insurance company ask if you ride with or without helmet and get appropriate coverage.

As for the care denied, I don't think so.  Why do we have to pay for those with unhealthy lifestyles then, smoking, drinking  etc, see where that will go.  

12 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

The corporate medical insurance in the U.S. is far different than what we are used to. Company policy can even have mandatory drug testing. I managed a U.S. based team for a few years. The company paid part of the medical insurance the employee paid the rest. One of the things that was prevalent was lack of coverage for pre-existing conditions. One of the team was struggling financially due to uncovered prescriptions for his wife's pre-existing condition. Then they also had an opportunity to reduce their premium portion for not smoking or drinking and if they attended a one day good health seminar they also saved a significant amount. One of the team missed the seminar due to business travel and I had to intercede on his behalf to get him the discount conditional on attending the next seminar. I can see where there may be an impact on premiums or coverage based on participating in motor sports without a helmet. After all it is the US. 

Canadians can be asked to provide drug testing in the USA as well if requested prior to being allowed onsite.

3 hours ago, snowchopper said:

I can not imagine sledding or riding my Harley without a helmet.But to each their own. 

I always said the same thing, I was at Daytona bike week and I did take my helmet, I never did put it on, felt real weird at  first, and I was comfortable around town and what not, and it is a different kind of surroundings that week. People are very aware, there are still crashes but not near what you would think with as many people as there are there. I did get out on my own 1 day and I was just riding twisty 2 lanes, realized I was close to Ocala and got to thinking I should go over n check out Don Garlits place, so I get out on 75 and I will tell you, that will never happen again without a helmet. I did bike week in Arizona and wore a helmet everywhere I rode. As a general rule, I would pretty much wear a helmet even when there is no law saying so, especially in Michigan, even if the drivers weren't crazy the roads are junk, lol

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Canadians can be asked to provide drug testing in the USA as well if requested prior to being allowed onsite.

I have been to a couple of sites like that but since I was just there for the day it was waived. For them it was a condition of employment and employees were subject to random testing after that.