Kap Super 8

Turbo Doo

2 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Something to ask next season when booking rooms (especially @ staging locations), do you charge for parking when we aren't there? Hopefully the trend does start that if one gets away w/ it, other businesses will follow suit.

we always asked, never a problem......changing times I suppose.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

We will be sticking to our go to places.......8-)

Its the best way, I always found they remembered us and was always a pleasant experience. I miss Lilabelle , that was a fun place.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wildman said:

Its the best way, I always found they remembered us and was always a pleasant experience. I miss Lilabelle , that was a fun place.

For sure:right_on:. Again, the only issue was the Super 8 GM. Everything else was fine. She had no clue how to handle the influx of reservations from everyone moving to kap from Cochrane after Wednesdays Bahamas weather..

Edited by Turbo Doo
  • Like 2

Just brutal customer service on behalf of the GM. I would have thought any customer willing to drop the money for a 4 or 5 night stay plus room tip would have the red carpet rolled out for them. Seems like they sprung this rule on you guys after you arrived? They should have advised you about these rules when you were booking your stay there, not after you arrive. Not sure if it would do any good send an email to head office about this but I am sure if they are any type of quality organization, head office would like to hear about this. I know we always investigated customer complaints when it appeared the customer had a valid concern. Then again expressing your concern to anyone at HO not familiar with the sledding situation and trailers would probably require to have the circumstances explained to them over and over.....    

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, probill said:

Just brutal customer service on behalf of the GM. I would have thought any customer willing to drop the money for a 4 or 5 night stay plus room tip would have the red carpet rolled out for them. Seems like they sprung this rule on you guys after you arrived? They should have advised you about these rules when you were booking your stay there, not after you arrive. Not sure if it would do any good send an email to head office about this but I am sure if they are any type of quality organization, head office would like to hear about this. I know we always investigated customer complaints when it appeared the customer had a valid concern. Then again expressing your concern to anyone at HO not familiar with the sledding situation and trailers would probably require to have the circumstances explained to them over and over.....    

Definitely sprung on us after we arrived and already spent one night there and on our second night this came up.  Others stayed there many times and had no issue leaving their trucks and trailers there.  Good idea I might just send an email or place a call to discuss this with someone.  The hotel is a nice place and rooms are nice, just sucks when you are worried about where to park. You go away to relax and enjoy not stress.

Edited by Mrs Turbo Doo
  • Like 1

The same thing happened to us at the Super 8 in Kirkland lake a couple years ago. Informed them what our intentions were when I made the reservations then when we checked in were told we couldn't leave truck and trailer there. I said never mind, we'll go somewhere else. They changed their mind rather quickly. I've been doing touring trips in Ontario for 25 years and had never had a problem until then. Their lot is fairly small , though.

59 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Another one to avoid..

The problem 'avoiding" Microtel because of the 'pay for parking' for the nights away, is that Kirkland Lake is normally a great place to stage from, and go visit the NCDN for two or three days and return. The KL Comfort Inn had the same paid parking policy two weeks ago when friends booked Wednesday/Saturday at the Comfort Inn and Thursday/Friday at Cochrane/Timmins. Those are the nicest two hotels to stay at in Kirkland Lake and I guess management knows it, so they got together to create a new income stream as revrnd suggested. If the parking was $10 bucks per night away, and you had to stay a minimum of two nights with them, I could willingly accept that, but $40 or $50 per night for parking is a little rich when they have your booking for two nights.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Polaris1 said:

The same thing happened to us at the Super 8 in Kirkland lake a couple years ago. Informed them what our intentions were when I made the reservations then when we checked in were told we couldn't leave truck and trailer there. I said never mind, we'll go somewhere else. They changed their mind rather quickly. I've been doing touring trips in Ontario for 25 years and had never had a problem until then. Their lot is fairly small , though.

I think Kirkland may have changed their policy on this. We stayed there last year and went on a saddle bag trip for 4 days. I told them when we booked thats what I was going to do and they said no problem leaving the trailer there as long as it was put in the newly plowed area adjacent to the hotel parking lot. We were the third trailer there when we left for the trip and there were 4 more parked there when we got back 4 days later. Never charged us to leave the car and trailer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, probill said:

I think Kirkland may have changed their policy on this. We stayed there last year and went on a saddle bag trip for 4 days. I told them when we booked thats what I was going to do and they said no problem leaving the trailer there as long as it was put in the newly plowed area adjacent to the hotel parking lot. We were the third trailer there when we left for the trip and there were 4 more parked there when we got back 4 days later. Never charged us to leave the car and trailer.

Sorry...I am wrong on this. We stayed at the Comfort Inn and left the trailer.  We sledded in and stayed at the Super 8.

1 hour ago, Wildman said:

1 hour ago, Turbo Doo said:

For sure:right_on:

X3!

23 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Just read these 2 letters. You can imagine @FIRE242@WinderFab, @white dragon, @extreme600, @Mrs Turbo Doo, @Turbo Doo@Evil reactions to these letters. To the OC Members who where here also, feel free to add your comments..Like WTF.  

20210314_181300.jpg

20210314_181304.jpg

OMG when we came back on Saturday from our ride I noticed it and laughed.  In all honesty I used the stairs most of the time.  I thought of you guys when I read it.  

11 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

First off, we are here for 5 nights.  Spent 1 night in Hearst.  First we have experienced this ever up here.  We will be passing on this place for the foreseeable future.  Hotel GM was a total idiot.  Ask all those who I mentioned in my first post.  I called literally every other place in the NCDN,  and they where more then happy to take our business.  We know our go to spots, and will be sticking to them. Asking us to move to another spot to park was complete BS. The one night that we left to stay in Hearst,  there was never any issues with any parking. Just ask @extreme600,  they stayed Friday night,  when we all went to Hearst.  

Hold on now..............................................did you just throw me under the bus???????????????????  LOL just kidding.  You are correct.  This decision by the manager was NOT needed.  If they were sold out and needed more spots she could've approached it a lot different imho.  

We stayed Friday night and after you folks left many vehicles left also.  The parking lot was NOT over loaded by any means.  Actually they had less vehicles there on Friday night than the other 3 nights we stayed there.  I almost fell over when I saw the postings in the elevator.  I like the hotel and location but like one other person said, send a letter or voice your concern to someone above the manager.  She needs a tune up for sure.

Trails were FREAKING AWESOME THOUGH!!!!!  What a way to end the season

Nice to finally meet you and your wife in person too.

See ya in 2022

• Like 2

11 hours ago, probill said:

I would imagine if HO received many complaints for one hotel/motel about the same issue, it would likely get some more traction......will it change anything, not sure as I am guessing the number of places they have in "sledding regions" is not that high.

Many members of our group had also stayed here before and had left trucks and trailers with no issues. Our group even got a call on Thursday evening from manager who was at home asking us to move trucks to offsite parking then at 9:00 Thursday night. She was told no way. Couple of us did move Friday morning, manager told us parking area had been plowed. Yea right plowed, she must have a different interpretation of plowed than the rest of us. Got back Saturday and parked vehicles in the exact same spots we were in Friday morning when we had moved. Manager checked two of us in for another 2 night stay. Bookings were totally screwed up. Told me we needed someone who knew what they were doing when calling in to book rooms and laughed. Told her well you were the one who did our bookings right here at the counter. All I got was oh, no apology. Should of walked but rest of group was already checked in. Rooms are definitely nice but Super8 Kapuskasing will never get any of my money again. Riding was great!
Great laughs and a perfect way to end season.

• Like 3

What About the Apollo In Kap? We use to stay there yeas ago. Yes, not exactly a Comfort Inn, and I see the the Kelsys next door is now Chucks Roadhouse. But, looks like a fair bit of parking around the Apollo, should be able to handle lots of truck parking? 

If someone is stuck?

Capture.JPG

34 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

What About the Apollo In Kap? We use to stay there yeas ago. Yes, not exactly a Comfort Inn, and I see the the Kelsys next door is now Chucks Roadhouse. But, looks like a fair bit of parking around the Apollo, should be able to handle lots of truck parking? 

If someone is stuck?

Capture.JPG

We stayed there about 4 years ago. It looks decent outside however the 2 "smoking" rooms we were in had were very dated with old dirtyish shag carpet. I just didn't feel comfortable. Not sure if all rooms are like that or just the smoking rooms.

13 hours ago, revrnd said:

No that would've been my father or my my brother (still is).

A thought that just came to mind, I wonder if in the case of the Microtel, assuming that this has been the policy all season (since they'd likely see more staging sledders in KL) that they're hurting for business? Trying to find 'new revenue streams' as the corporate types are so fond of saying...

Guy at the desk at microtel in KL told us that they had only seen 14 truck / trailer combos so far this season. Normally its packed and they have an overflow lot. When we were there for the 4 nights, there was only at best 4 trucks including mine in the lot.

56 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

If someone is stuck?

Capture.JPG

It's possible, but there seems to be a lot of traffic in & out to the commercial shop next door. It used to be our go to Kap lodging back in the day. I don't recall many if any sled trailers there. Mind you we're talking about a late season alternative.

@Turbo Doo posted about the Apollo & not favourable earlier. In my recent trips up there I haven't noticed many sleds there (for what ever reason) One of my throwback pics was taken there.

Your screen grab missed part of the parking area @ the nearby Advantage.

2092878521_ApolloAdvantageKap.JPG.f607ee7a91a74f0d816dd153b758363c.JPG

Red marks a plowed area of the lot that was unoccupied. I imagine parking there wouldn't be an issue. This year & in years past we've parked along the south side across from our rooms. In 2018 we had quite a few sleds for an end of season OC ride. Several trucks & trailers parked along there w/ nothing said. I'm thinking 'Steve' was just happy he had rented a bunch of rooms.

That being said Steve seems to struggle w/ English. The check in was a bit unorganized (I paid for the 'extra' room even though @irREVerent was the 'organizer). I was worried about the handoff of my decal to @Techdenis007, but his wife was there & she fully understood what I was asking.

13 hours ago, tricky said:

The problem 'avoiding" Microtel because of the 'pay for parking' for the nights away, is that Kirkland Lake is normally a great place to stage from, and go visit the NCDN for two or three days and return. The KL Comfort Inn had the same paid parking policy two weeks ago when friends booked Wednesday/Saturday at the Comfort Inn and Thursday/Friday at Cochrane/Timmins. Those are the nicest two hotels to stay at in Kirkland Lake and I guess management knows it, so they got together to create a new income stream as revrnd suggested. If the parking was $10 bucks per night away, and you had to stay a minimum of two nights with them, I could willingly accept that, but $40 or $50 per night for parking is a little rich when they have your booking for two nights.  

We usually do not stay in Kirkland anyways..

48 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

We stayed there about 4 years ago. It looks decent outside however the 2 "smoking" rooms we were in had were very dated with old dirtyish shag carpet. I just didn't feel comfortable. Not sure if all rooms are like that or just the smoking rooms.

I'll never stay there.  Our experience 10 years ago was a disaster.  

1 hour ago, FIRE242 said:

Many members of our group had also stayed here before and had left trucks and trailers with no issues. Our group even got a call on Thursday evening from manager who was at home asking us to move trucks to offsite parking then at 9:00 Thursday night. She was told no way. Couple of us did move Friday morning, manager told us parking area had been plowed. Yea right plowed, she must have a different interpretation of plowed than the rest of us. Got back Saturday and parked vehicles in the exact same spots we were in Friday morning when we had moved. Manager checked two of us in for another 2 night stay. Bookings were totally screwed up. Told me we needed someone who knew what they were doing when calling in to book rooms and laughed. Told her well you were the one who did our bookings right here at the counter. All I got was oh, no apology. Should of walked but rest of group was already checked in. Rooms are definitely nice but Super8 Kapuskasing will never get any of my money again. Riding was great!
Great laughs and a perfect way to end season.

By sounds of it might be a new manger there in near future and all these issues will go away. Not allot of

choice really and it is newest hotel

in town. 

12 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

As I stated before.  Kap Super 8. Great place, great trail access, decent parking.  As of right now, the GM, needs to go. And how she handled and approached the parking was a turn off for us. 

lets hope it was a one off    but in a more "normal " year trucks won't be at Kap   just saddle bagging thru    That was our original plan

Edited by volunteer2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, infernobuster said:

Just experienced the same thing at the Microtel in Kirkland lake. We booked 4 nights there and 1 in cochrane.  Told us theyd have to charge us $50 per night to keep the truck/trailer there, when we are not there. 

Told them to call the manager up at home, and call me in my room direct.  That got sorted real fast ..

Another thing which was weird is they dont allow you to park your sleds outside the hotel. They must be put back in the trailer at night ... 

That was our first plan   buddy was booking everything so I was not in that loop    We were gonna drive to KL and sled right away   The plan was to leave rigs behind the Tim Hortons    Not sure how that works since I didn't talk to anyone about that   anyway the rain changed all the plans    just interested in this since  I don't mind planning trips but try and do my homework first