Kap Super 8

Turbo Doo

15 hours ago, Wildman said:

we always asked, never a problem......changing times I suppose.

Don't forget this has been a really difficult year financially for almost every service business to even survive in. I wouldn't have any problem at all with prices going up and charging for things like parking a truck and trailer, particularly when I ride off for a few days and am not staying there. A lot of places are fighting to pay their bills. We find we are ordering more take out than we would have dined out this past year in order to support our local businesses. We are also tipping much more generously for take out than we would have for dine in. The staff in these places are struggling as well. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

What About the Apollo In Kap? We use to stay there yeas ago. Yes, not exactly a Comfort Inn, and I see the the Kelsys next door is now Chucks Roadhouse. But, looks like a fair bit of parking around the Apollo, should be able to handle lots of truck parking? 

If someone is stuck?

I used to stay there up until 2 years ago.  I switched to the Advantage recently as the rooms were less expensive and I could book it through one of the services online (usually at 5 am or so when I do my best thinking.) I would have no problem going back again.

With regards to the Advantage, this recent visit I found very little attention being paid to covid health protocols including the front office - no mask, no barriers -  and some stranger in my room during the time I was out. In addition, after spending 9 hours in the truck, I don't need the proprietor to ask me to cancel my on-line booking so I could save $5 a night - just check me the f___k in - I know how much it is going to cost. ffs.

3 hours ago, revrnd said:

@Turbo Doo posted about the Apollo & not favourable earlier. In my recent trips up there I haven't noticed many sleds there (for what ever reason) One of my throwback pics was taken there.

Nothing negatively substantive....I have posted on this motel since December 2014. I have stayed in every level of accommodation in every province and territory in this great Dominion of ours and there is nothing bad about the Apollo - it is a just below medium place but has everything a sledder needs. 

Pics from room 26, December 2014. The rooms on the other side of the building were just as good - and out of the wind.

apollo01.jpg.86b4ee43903e63e790fa33051c90fc3f.jpg

apollo02.jpg.32a379776ad9e6b9c797b48eb4c85690.jpg

apollo03.jpg.ea27caf9cc6aa467de289b013eab17a0.jpg

Lots of parking, close to restaurants, easy trail access. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

That was our first plan   buddy was booking everything so I was not in that loop    We were gonna drive to KL and sled right away   The plan was to leave rigs behind the Tim Hortons    Not sure how that works since I didn't talk to anyone about that   anyway the rain changed all the plans    just interested in this since  I don't mind planning trips but try and do my homework first

When are you heading north Nick?

3 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

As I stated before.  Kap Super 8. Great place, great trail access, decent parking.  As of right now, the GM, needs to go. And how she handled and approached the parking was a turn off for us. 

Totally agree 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slomo said:

I don't need the proprietor to ask me to cancel my on-line booking so I could save $5 a night - just check me the f___k in - I know how much it is going to cost. ffs.

they asked you to do that because they pay HUGE fees to the online booking sources. this saves them money, and you money. I am sure you can appreciate that. just ask Mo at the NL motel in Wawa, on how much the booking services get. Ski

Edited by skidooboy
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Good luck to you guys.  Post some pictures :poke2:

Thanks    will do    and i am thinking we will be riding to the truck as the trails are closing :icon_lolsign:

Edited by volunteer2

On 3/15/2021 at 12:56 AM, Turbo Doo said:

Just read these 2 letters. You can imagine @FIRE242@WinderFab, @white dragon, @extreme600, @Mrs Turbo Doo, @Turbo Doo@Evil reactions to these letters. To the OC Members who where here also, feel free to add your comments..Like WTF.  

20210314_181300.jpg

20210314_181304.jpg

It was nice meeting you, Mrs Turbo Doo and your father in law :right_on:..

Ill keep my opinion on Wendy to myself for now. 

• Haha 1

Going to be a long summer thinking about when I can hit this trail again.

4CB7C826-7446-4C83-94DF-578215A38202.jpeg

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, WinderFab said:

Going to be a long summer thinking about when I can hit this trail again.

4CB7C826-7446-4C83-94DF-578215A38202.jpeg

That is why we ride or trailer to D14 (you can't forget Piston Alley between Timmins & SRF) & D15...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

Thanks    will do    and i am thinking we will be riding to the truck as the trails are closing :icon_lolsign:

This happened to us last time we got up there 3 seasons ago. Warm day, a real beauty really, and had to giver to get back to NL to get the trucks. Had to go back to KL to pick up a dead sled.

These are the things that makes memories. I never recall the trips where nothing goes wrong. 

Have a good time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crow said:

8F75074D-F386-4E1B-A947-EE166A7B93B0.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Re:Leaf said:

8F75074D-F386-4E1B-A947-EE166A7B93B0.jpeg

Find out what the issue was?

We definitely won’t forget our first ride on the L159. We got to experience the first quarter of this trail heading north and then suddenly Rick’s 600etec shut down (electrical issue). We will see you again next year L159. Great memories with the great people we met on our trip. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Re:Leaf said:

We definitely won’t forget our first ride on the L159. We got to experience the first quarter of this trail heading north and then suddenly Rick’s 600etec shut down (electrical issue). We will see you again next year L159. Great memories with the great people we met on our trip. 

The Entire L159 is a must ride trail. Especially when it's at perfection.  Me and @Evils new favorite NCDN trail...

Great seeing you and 0F7...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I believe it’s a problem with the stator. It’s in the shop now, and I’ll let you know when Rick gets it back. The awesome people at the Skidoo shop in Hearst did the initial diagnosis and let Rick know that his trip was over. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Re:Leaf said:

I believe it’s a problem with the stator. It’s in the shop now, and I’ll let you know when Rick gets it back. The awesome people at the Skidoo shop in Hearst did the initial diagnosis and let Rick know that his trip was over. 

I wish I had been able to get an intermittent issue fixed prior to our ill-fated 2012 trip. Turned out to be the voltage regulator was starting to fail. The sled had hiccuped twice in the couple of weeks before departure. The sled shut off dead twice between D'ville & Wawa (destination was Gowganda). Pulled the plug on continuing as I didn't want it to quit & not restart further on in the trip.

14 hours ago, skidooboy said:

they asked you to do that because they pay HUGE fees to the online booking sources. this saves them money, and you money. I am sure you can appreciate that. just ask Mo at the NL motel in Wawa, on how much the booking services get. Ski

I am aware of how it works but they should not expect to have it both ways - and to expect me after a 9 hour drive to stagger back to the truck, find my reservation on my phone or tablet, cancel the reservation, go back in and fill out the paper work, when I still have unpacking to do, spray down the room, clothing and sled prep, maybe get a short ride in...etc. etc. etc. is unreasonable.

On the online services, the pictures and descriptions of the facility are often more accurate than on a web site. The booking sources come in very handy when reserving in Quebec if your spoken French is not too good - in my case not understanding what's being said to me in a phone conversation - essayer de comprendre le français parlé mes oreilles sont en plomb. So you can reserve online, print off your confirmation (French and English) and show up with that. If snow conditions go bad or rain falls, it is no hassle to cancel or move your dates.

In fact, where many hotel/motel web sites in Quebec are entirely in French, the booking sites are invaluable being in English and understandable to a non-French speaker or reader - reservit.com being particularly good.

I know of one place I booked on-line in St. Zenon, Quebec from Edmundston, New Brunswick, who decided the next year to stop using the on-line booking service. The year after that they went back on it, as reservations dropped noticeably. In the case of the Apollo verses the Advantage, both places being about the same caliber, the convenience of on-line booking gets the Advantage the business, as the Apollo has to be booked and confirmed by phone.

• Thanks 1