Kap Super 8

Turbo Doo

Oh it was the Kap Super 8, I was thinking it was the 1 in Hearst that you had issues w/. How many nights were you staying in Kap & how many in Hearst?  

When @irREVerent & I left Kap' for the trip to Hearst, we kept 1 room & put all of our non-riding gear, etc in that room. No issue about us leaving 2 trucks & 1 trailer in the lot. Lots of room east of the building for rigs if necessary. As it was we just left them where we had parked.

Maybe if they want to cater to the sledding crowd they could expand their parking lot? I guess staging there & heading out for a few days to Longlac or Hornepayne is out of the question? The Bon Air in Timmins while charging you for parking @ least doesn't mind you leaving vehicles behind.

You think it would be equalibertyem, with lots of riders snowmobiling in too. I always ask ahead of time and they say no over phone I find a different hotel, to stage from. I always phone hotel direct and never go thru booking line. I did that once and guy where ever he was had no clue about snowmobilers either. 
How close is kap machine shop to hotel? 

1 minute ago, Strong Farmer said:

You think it would be equalibertyem, with lots of riders snowmobiling in too. I always ask ahead of time and they say no over phone I find a different hotel, to stage from. I always phone hotel direct and never go thru booking line. I did that once and guy where ever he was had no clue about snowmobilers either. 
How close is kap machine shop to hotel? 
At least you aren’t being towed according to letter, just an extra charge to your credit card I guess for whatever amount they decide? 

So what exactly is your problem here? Is it your wish to leave vehicles in their lot while you travel to another hotel/motel for an overnight stay at the new location? They seem to have made some kind of arrangement in this circumstance. I am thinking they are within their rights to make sure all registered guests have a parking spot? 

We have stayed quite a few times at this hotel and have had nothing but exemplary service and a helpful staff. 

• Like 1

Its across the highway & tracks from the Flying J

Screenshot_20210315-102625_Maps.thumb.jpg.fd5403c25c4f8d5480f4c51bf86d3514.jpg

I'm guessing they sledders had a night booked upon their return from Hearst so it's not like they were just parked there. Also by the date it looks like this is a new policy...

Also what is security like there over the weekend? 

I wouldn't be interested in having to park offsite either.

One trip we had a change so couldn't start @ Lillabelle, but they let us park our rig there for the week (our last night was still there).

Reminds me of parking issues @ a North Bay motel that was well known. 

Has anyone had a face to face discussion with the owner or operator to confirm they are following this policy to the T?

I am not familiar with them, but I would think this might be a blanket statement to discourage all from doing this, assuming they might be tight for parking space......and those that came in to ask about this policy, that did spend a night, spend some money, etc....were welcome to leave their rigs there.

I know few instances we a have encountered this on trips, all of the circumstances we were okay to leave our truck & trailer, but we either spent a night there or purchased some food/drinks as well.

If there is no wiggle room on the policy, I would expect they will loose some business in the winter months......which might be there busiest time of the year!

Edited by stoney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

guess they dont want looping, touring riders there. usually we would stage at a hotel, leave rigs, ride for 3-5 days, return, load up, stay another night, and drive home. they received payment for 2 or more nights lodging, depending how long we stayed, the plan, loop etc... now, if it is a tiny parking area, I can see the need for offsite parking, when you are not onsite but, I wouldnt be excited about staying there again. a couple times in wawa years ago, we had to park offsite, not a fan. voiced my displeasure with my wallet. Ski

Judging from the date shown of March 12,2021 my guess would be that they have had some sled vehicle / trailers park and ride without staying. As Stoney mentioned, you should ask first and adjust as necessary. The notice may have just been produced in haste after an issue with some trailer owners.

Yeah getting harder to park for a longer period of time especially if it involves a weekend I find. Vehicles are in way for snow removal too,

which can be another issue if they are parked for a week. 
trailers and rigs are getting bigger too, I noticed and had to up grade my trailer awhile ago, to accomdate longer track sleds. 
If it isn’t a peak time most are accommodating I find. 
With loop not being open most wouldn’t be gone more then a day or too I would think. Area looks jammed with trucks and trailers for that last ride,that would usually drop further south and ride in. 

The other thing the business has to look @ is this is an end of season deal. Not too many people stage in Kap or Hearst mid-season. 

We've always left our keys w/ the front desk & never had any problems. In addition to allowing them to move for plowing, it's one less thing to lose while on your trip.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, revrnd said:

The other thing the business has to look @ is this is an end of season deal. Not too many people stage in Kap or Hearst mid-season. 

We've always left our keys w/ the front desk & never had any problems. In addition to allowing them to move for plowing, it's one less thing to lose while on your trip.

Love hate relationship with leaving keys. One thing if you know who is moving vehicles, but these chain hotels do you want a random person moving vehicles around and if they damage trailer or vehicle you have zero  recourse pretty much. I choose to take keys but rarely gone more then a day or two. Most places will tell me where is best spot to leave truck and trailer for snow removal too. 

2 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Love hate relationship with leaving keys. One thing if you know who is moving vehicles, but these chain hotels do you want a random person moving vehicles around and if they damage trailer or vehicle you have zero  recourse pretty much. I choose to take keys but rarely gone more then a day or two. Most places will tell me where is best spot to leave truck and trailer for snow removal too. 

True, usually away from the rest of the facility. 

2 hours ago, stoney said:

If there is no wiggle room on the policy, I would expect they will loose some business in the winter months......which might be there busiest time of the year!

Plenty of business from hockey and other teams, Ontario Hydro work crews, government employees, etc. I have found that there are relatively few sledders there as most like to start out and stay in Cochrane. We were up in March one time and due to the hotel full of hockey players and the lot full of vehicles and piled up snow, once we got a parking spot, we stuck with it and did not move.

1 minute ago, slomo said:

Plenty of business from hockey and other teams, Ontario Hydro work crews, government employees, etc. I have found that there are relatively few sledders there as most like to start out and stay in Cochrane. We were up in March one time and due to the hotel full of hockey players and the lot full of vehicles and piled up snow, once we got a parking spot, we stuck with it and did not move.

Than I am guessing since the mild spell rolled through last week, many folks headed further West and they ended up with more rigs parked than usually, and up went the sign - which would appear short sighted, but again, perhaps a talk with the operator might have put a different spin on or left a bad taste in your mouth and make you think twice next time.

I know many years ago when I was frequently traveling Northern ON for work, most of these places had a good mixture of sledders & folks working like me in the winter, take one of those groups away and I can see how it would have a negative effect on the business.

But such is life, I guess that is why having a choice can be such a good thing.

• Like 1

First off, we are here for 5 nights.  Spent 1 night in Hearst.  First we have experienced this ever up here.  We will be passing on this place for the foreseeable future.  Hotel GM was a total idiot.  Ask all those who I mentioned in my first post.  I called literally every other place in the NCDN,  and they where more then happy to take our business.  We know our go to spots, and will be sticking to them. Asking us to move to another spot to park was complete BS. The one night that we left to stay in Hearst,  there was never any issues with any parking. Just ask @extreme600,  they stayed Friday night,  when we all went to Hearst.  

1 minute ago, stoney said:

Than I am guessing since the mild spell rolled through last week, many folks headed further West and they ended up with more rigs parked than usually, and up went the sign - which would appear short sighted, but again, perhaps a talk with the operator might have put a different spin on or left a bad taste in your mouth and make you think twice next time.

I know many years ago when I was frequently traveling Northern ON for work, most of these places had a good mixture of sledders & folks working like me in the winter, take one of those groups away and I can see how it would have a negative effect on the business.

But such is life, I guess that is why having a choice can be such a good thing.

That's exactly what happened. They had absolutely no f ing clue how to handle the situation,  but all of us took it upon ourselves to take care with parking.  There where no issues with how rigs where parked.  When the highway was closed Thursday night,  they should have asked the Brampton truck drivers WTF was going on when they had all entrances blocked in and out of the Super 8. And we did have a polite conversation with this Wendy GM. She should be flipping burgers at best

Blame COVID-19.....its just the right thing to do and the go too now for so many, the list just keeps growing......:coffeenose: (yes I know another political snide remark in a "sledding" topic....)

Too bad for all involved, hopefully they will see the error of their ways, but there is always establishment B just down the road :)

1 hour ago, Turbo Doo said:

Very disappointed in the service and attitude to all the sledders that where there,  not just us. Oh well, on to better places. As Elaine once said on Seinfeld to the Soup Nazi on one episode,  NO SOUP FOR YOU,  NEXT..............

That’s too bad. I can see reason for a parking policy but usually waveid if you stay first and last night or even one night for that matter.  Bonaire in Timmins charges 10 dollars a day for parking. I gladly paid that as I had whole lot to myself and they have security camera’s to watch my stuff 24, 7 days a week. Kind of nice to get a receipt too saying you had permission to park there, while you are gone. I have no issues with hotels charging for parking while I am not staying there. Edge water has gone same route pretty much now too. 
glad you had a good ride and hopefully Cochrane is good for your next trip. Cheers. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

3 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Do you want some dude in a big loader with an even bidder blade trimming up to your rig very early Monday morning after a tough weekend with the boys just because you wouldn't leave your keys? We have always asked if they want us to leave them and never had a problem. I've also heard of hotels having a driver available if you need your trailer brought to pick up you and your broken sled. Each to their own.

• Like 4