Now that trails here are closed Kearney Feedback Please

KearneyCookhouse

Well that was a short tourist season.  For those wonderful sled families that made it thru Kearney can you provide some feedback on how your Kearney visit was?  Did you purchase food in town or bring it up?   Any highlights of what you ate you would like to share?  How were the hours and days available for take out working for you?  What parking and gas options also did you use?  We really enjoyed the cabbage rolls at the Legion last week, it was a special menu only option.  Would sledders prefer a set meal like cabbage rolls only on a day ride or would you prefer an order what you want pubstyle menu?  I will make sure to share any comments with the Legion, Pitstop, Driftwood, Silversands etc.  Thanks for your time.

Since no input yet, here is my 2 cents with some caveats. I didn't sled or travel to Kearney this winter because of COVID. My brother has a place out side of town, for over 20 years, so I've seen many changes in Kearney. 

If I go up alone for sledding I go out for food, both lunch and dinner. Whenever I or the group I sled with stop anywhere for lunch, all of us like a pub style menu and most often have the soup of the day (or some soup) and some type of sandwich or burger.  A set meal is to much food, most often, for most of us "old guys", at lunch. 

At dinner, a set meal is considered; however, having alternative choices to the set meal is desirable.

1 hour ago, Gadgetman said:

Since no input yet, here is my 2 cents with some caveats. I didn't sled or travel to Kearney this winter because of COVID. My brother has a place out side of town, for over 20 years, so I've seen many changes in Kearney. 

If I go up alone for sledding I go out for food, both lunch and dinner. Whenever I or the group I sled with stop anywhere for lunch, all of us like a pub style menu and most often have the soup of the day (or some soup) and some type of sandwich or burger.  A set meal is to much food, most often, for most of us "old guys", at lunch. 

At dinner, a set meal is considered; however, having alternative choices to the set meal is desirable.

I agree on the set meal aspect. I have been to many places where that's all they have on the menu. Try getting just a sandwich, just a burger etc. They all come with something else. 

• 4 weeks later...

No one else has some input to assist them in their planning for next year? 

We stopped in at the Legion one day and grabbed a burger as always food was excellent, this past season we went to the fish shack in Dorset a couple times and it was great. My advice and I was really surprised more restaurants didn’t have a fire going outside with some music. Summerland General store did and I believe they had a great season the times we stopped in. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nunz said:

We stopped in at the Legion one day and grabbed a burger as always food was excellent, this past season we went to the fish shack in Dorset a couple times and it was great. My advice and I was really surprised more restaurants didn’t have a fire going outside with some music. Summerland General store did and I believe they had a great season the times we stopped in. 

There are so many ways a business could adapt. I was surprised more didn't do like you said, a fire and some music makes it much more appealing. 

• Like 2