I almost lost my trailer

andreyboater

I was thinking I'm pedant and always keep my toys in great shape and well maintained, so I always prepare a trailer for a season, check and grease bearings, check axles, replace  tires, check electric wiring. Just don't like to have surprises on the road. So  last weekend I was pissed off when my trailer was broken. I didn't know and never checked the pivot bolts connecting the trailer bed frame to the front Y-piece, so one bolt was snapped and second was also almost broken, I could have lost my trailer right on a Highway, what a disaster.  We are going to Cochrane on Thursday and trailer broke on Sunday, I'm a lucky guy.  I make online research and it's a common problem to tilt trailers.  I learned my lesson the easy way, and it could be much worse. Hopefully my case can help anybody to avoid similar issues. Be safe.    

20210306_141025.jpg

20210306_141008.jpg

20210306_140958.jpg

• Like 1

Is it just the pic or my eyes, but does this weld look a bit suspect?

791911639_TrailerWelding.jpg.29c20633aa97673f29dbfdc4be6546bb.jpg

Looks like not a lot of penetration into the crossmember. Or maybe I've been looking @ too much TIG welding online...

Andrey, how did the holes that these bolts pass thru look like? Were the worn oblong? I have seen this on steel framed trailers @ the pivot point.

• Thanks 1

I would say it is time for a new drive in trailer vs a tilt!

Good to gear possible issue avoided as it always sucks when you have a mechanical issue on trips - takes the fun right out of it.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Is it just the pic or my eyes, but does this weld look a bit suspect?

791911639_TrailerWelding.jpg.29c20633aa97673f29dbfdc4be6546bb.jpg

Looks like not a lot of penetration into the crossmember. Or maybe I've been looking @ too much TIG welding online...

Andrey, how did the holes that these bolts pass thru look like? Were the worn oblong? I have seen this on steel framed trailers @ the pivot point.

Good point I will check this welding spot. Trailer is 2011.  I left the trailer to repair to a local guy, he was able to remove old bolts and put in a new one. He said everything looks fine, Just maintain and grease it regularly.     

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, stoney said:

I would say it is time for a new drive in trailer vs a tilt!

Good to gear possible issue avoided as it always sucks when you have a mechanical issue on trips - takes the fun right out of it.

You are right, I was on the market for a new drive in trailer but decided to wait  until next year :(

3 minutes ago, andreyboater said:

You are right, I was on the market for a new drive in trailer but decided to wait  until next year :(

Check out Georgian Bay Trailers... I saw an ad for sled trailers including ski guides and track for $7130 taxes included. Not sure what brand. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, andreyboater said:

Given what the market has been like, a good idea.

You have to assume there will still be many sleds and trailers flooding the market in the fall...likely sleds with trailer packages so all is done in one transaction..

Edited by stoney
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Check out Georgian Bay Trailers... I saw an ad for sled trailers including ski guides and track for $7130 taxes included. Not sure what brand. 

Bought one there last year, it's an Avalanche, so far so good. First thing I did when I got it home was to empty a half dozen cans of 'Rust Check' on it, paying particular attention to area's where aluminum frame and metal axle brackets mount

• Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 1:09 PM, stoney said:

Given what the market has been like, a good idea.

You have to assume there will still be many sleds and trailers flooding the market in the fall...likely sleds with trailer packages so all is done in one transaction..

The toy/trailer market is looney hot.

My brother bought a 2015 7x12 single axle steel enclosed in 2017 for $4500. 

Sold it Sunday for $5500. He did do some upgrades, annual Krown spray and it was in near new shape.

Sold his 2004 Kodiak 450 Yamaha, again, great shape with new plastics .. for $5500 as well same day, after a day or so on Kijiji.

He ordered a new 7x14 aluminum 2 axle...delivery maybe some time in June. 

I thought the market was going to be flooded with cheap toys and trailers after covid.

I could not have been more wrong, but I didn't forsee Trudope was going to rain money down on the masses.

I needed a 5x8 aluminum enclosed middle of last year. Called around until I found a dealer that had one in the production stream, late October delivery.

Not quite the color and other small things I wanted, but it would have been now before I'd have the exact one I wanted.

Happy I said put my name on it.