Trails in the Port Sydney / Baysville / Dorset Areas

gtowe

Has anyone been out the last couple of days on the trails in our area after the thaw/rain/freeze? Trails were great on Sunday before the rain but we haven't had time to try since. I'm sure that they are fairly hard but have they been able to be groomed?

Dorset area is excellent 65, 66 67 d101. PS and baysville is pretty good too. Road runs are terrible. I'm running an ice ripper, no scratchers, and haven't had a overheat issue yet this week. Drop at Raven Lake to avoid road runs in both directions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you. Was thinking of heading that direction later today. Definitely trying to plan to minimize roads. Will be leaving from Mary Lake. Was thinking Baysville - Dorset - LOB - South Portage - back to Mary Lake. Road sections of 54 would be bad though.

Saw a posting on facebook for tall pines that all is good the other day.

Agree with Steve F6. Raven parking lot and very minimal road run from there.

Plus trails are Green for that area!

In Baysville at the bridge just run the pavement across. That mogul disaster of a bridge crossing bucked my sled into the live traffic lane yesterday. Never again. Someone broke their wrist last week on it. Waiting for someone to land in the south branch of the muskoka river soon. Nasty run up echo lake rd too. 

13 minutes ago, Steve F6 said:

In Baysville at the bridge just run the pavement across. That mogul disaster of a bridge crossing bucked my sled into the live traffic lane yesterday. Never again. Someone broke their wrist last week on it. Waiting for someone to land in the south branch of the muskoka river soon. Nasty run up echo lake rd too. 

That is always bad......could it possibly be worse than the norm......

Trails from Mary Lake to Baysville and the Baysville “super highway” were all good yesterday. Hard but enough cooling. Any roads were bad.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 11:10 AM, stoney said:

That is always bad......could it possibly be worse than the norm......

It is down right dangerous,like said above avoid the bridge. I thought when crossing it was going to tear my ski off, or toss me on the road. The snow level is lower than the guard rail in places.

• Thanks 1

Went from Port Sydney to Baysville and back plus a bit of d102b and 50 late Tues aft. They must have groomed Monday at some point as trails could not have been any better with very few sled tracks on them. Managed to get a quick 58 miles on to end the season unless i can talk my wife into going out this morning one last time. 

• Like 1

Tall Pine trails were amazing all weekend. 62, 64,65 and 66

20210307_101648.jpg

20210306_114635.jpg

20210306_114631.jpg

20210306_105544.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Motorhead said:

Happy Wanders groomer and back up groomer both down. Lake of Bays Atv club claims snowmobile trails closed as of the 13th and open to Atving

Clearly they don't know when land use agreements expire in that area.. 

Seems to have been an issue the last couple of years......you would think by now all the correct info would be well known by now for the various groups, assuming you are willing and wanting to listen to it of course!

12 hours ago, Yukon said:

Clearly they don't know when land use agreements expire in that area.. 

and unfortunately way too many ASSUME that a snowmobile trail becomes an ATV trail in the spring and summer. We lost a section of C trail causing a reroute for that exact reason. Some are shared trails and some landowners grant permission for ATV's in the warmer seasons but not all. I have even heard an ATV rider filling up with gas commenting to his buddy... "I'm glad I carry bolt cutters with me now, too many idiots are padlocking the gates to OUR trails"