Picking a Wife Sled

Blackstar

Good points all around. Got on late here.  If 60 miles an HR and light steering are needed don't rule out a 600 ace    our 600 is as light as can be and does 75 mph.  The 900 is most definitely heavy and may be an issue. I have run either 6 in berkstroms or 8 in dullies     never had snow trackers but may get some to try   seat studs windshield are all extras of course but the price on the sled is 11200 I think 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, signfan said:

Go with the Adrenaline.  Spend the $300 on a set of semi aggressive snow trackers and follow the snow tracker instructions on how to remove all of the ski pressure.  Sled will steer easy, won't dart and your wife will love it.  The light throttle she will also like.  My wife got headaches riding two strokes.  900 ace solved a lot of complaints.

X2 exactly. Those who haven't tried snow trackers on 4 strokes, and say the front end is too heavy, don't know what they are missing. Definitely semi- aggressive trackers. Adjust limiter strap shorter by one hole. Start with the suspension fully soft and go from there. I bought my second 900 ACE 129" sled from a friend who said his daughter couldn't steer the 'heavy' 4 stroke. Of course she couldn't the way I received it. It didn't steer. He spent $16K on a new 600R instead of setting up the 900. My gain!!!!

• Like 1

Skodoo Renegade 600ACE or 900ACE, great riding choce for women. My wifes ride 600ACE for 3 years and she love it. 

20190202_094717.jpg

8 hours ago, tricky said:

X2 exactly. Those who haven't tried snow trackers on 4 strokes, and say the front end is too heavy, don't know what they are missing. Definitely semi- aggressive trackers. Adjust limiter strap shorter by one hole. Start with the suspension fully soft and go from there. I bought my second 900 ACE 129" sled from a friend who said his daughter couldn't steer the 'heavy' 4 stroke. Of course she couldn't the way I received it. It didn't steer. He spent $16K on a new 600R instead of setting up the 900. My gain!!!!

from what we have known is to lighten the ski pressure you lengthened the limiter strap     that gives more pressure on the skid and takes weight off the front ?  also tighten front spring in the skid too     always did that but in the 2015 and 2021 strap cant be lengthened    always heard stories that guys that want the skis off the snow removed the strap   

• Like 1

It baffles me how so many people won’t touch a suspension setting because they think the pdi kid at the dealer just graduated suspension school :mrgreen:..

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, tricky said:

That’s funny but that is common. 900 can fool with it and make it decent but with 129 gone now, 136 is harder to steer in twisties and do feel difference between two stroke. 600 ace never had one.,I think it depends how much rider weighs too. 600 etec r is one nice engine that can still be had in 129. Just sips only too. 500 km to a litre usually. Four strokes have to check oil too or you run into trouble if you get a leak and don’t notice. I carry one spare L in four stroke just in case. 

1 hour ago, volunteer2 said:

from what we have known is to lighten the ski pressure you lengthened the limiter strap     that gives more pressure on the skid and takes weight off the front ?  also tighten front spring in the skid too     always did that but in the 2015 and 2021 strap cant be lengthened    always heard stories that guys that want the skis off the snow removed the strap   

This is correct, by shortening the limiter strap, you do increase ski pressure / bite..... or removing spring pressure from the front skid shock has similar affect, just a more subtle affect. 
You are essentially adding more weight to the other two points of snow contact, skis and rear skid. 
Limiter strap should be the last adjustment when tuning your suspension though. 

For sure adjusting and playing with things are good, but I highly recommend you keep a log of your changes so you know what you did and do one at a time to know what worked or didn’t work. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stoney said:

This is correct, by shortening the limiter strap, you do increase ski pressure / bite..... or removing spring pressure from the front skid shock has similar affect, just a more subtle affect. 
You are essentially adding more weight to the other two points of snow contact, skis and rear skid. 

For sure adjusting and playing with things are good, but I highly recommend you keep a log of your changes so you know what you did and do one at a time to know what worked or didn’t work. 

And snow and trail conditions make such a difference.  We were first out one morning and fresh groomed trails had different conditions from 2 different groomers   

10 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

Good points all around. Got on late here.  If 60 miles an HR and light steering are needed don't rule out a 600 ace    our 600 is as light as can be and does 75 mph.  The 900 is most definitely heavy and may be an issue. I have run either 6 in berkstroms or 8 in dullies     never had snow trackers but may get some to try   seat studs windshield are all extras of course but the price on the sled is 11200 I think 

I don't think I want to go that small with the motor. If she was the only one riding it then maybe but I want this to also be a backup sled for me and something one of my buddies can ride when I want to do a guy ride. The 900 is good for 90mph.

I also don't want a light sled. In the past, she rode an '01 Z440, '03 Firecat F5, an '07 500SS and an '09 600 Etec. She didn't like any of them. She felt they tracked all over the trail. She couldn't keep in a straight line. She likes the feel of something solid and planted or she gets anxious and slows down.

Her '07 F6 was not a light sled put the steering effort was very light.

I like the snowtracker idea mentioned here. I did own a set breifly on my '14 ZR7000. I didn't notice any great change in that sled but I never had much time in to set up before I traded it.

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't think I want to go that small with the motor. If she was the only one riding it then maybe but I want this to also be a backup sled for me and something one of my buddies can ride when I want to do a guy ride. The 900 is good for 90mph.

I also don't want a light sled. In the past, she rode an '01 Z440, '03 Firecat F5, an '07 500SS and an '09 600 Etec. She didn't like any of them. She felt they tracked all over the trail. She couldn't keep in a straight line. She likes the feel of something solid and planted or she gets anxious and slows down.

I like the snowtracker idea mentioned here. I did own a set breifly on my '14 ZR7000. I didn't notice any great change in that sled but I never had much time in to set up before I traded it.

The Barney, heavy slug with power like steering, it handled so well out of the box. 

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

900 is way to go then. Sounds like she will be happy with it then. Get brp scratchers too with deal, you will

need them some days no doubt. See you both next year on trails hopefully. 

17 minutes ago, stoney said:

On the Doo's, torsion spring setting,  and the weight transfer coupling blocks also can change handling. I rode a friend's tuned 900T last trip north, with snowtrackers installed,  and I can say, they work. I feel I have my sled dialed in darn near perfect for me. I prefer the pilot TX skis myself 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, stoney said:

The Barney, heavy slug with power like steering, it handled so well out of the box. 

I know everyone loved to hate on the Barneys but it was a great trail sled.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Still have an 07 barney that i won't part with just for the fact it is so comfy but no top end by any stretch of the imagination, but on the trails i usually have friends trying to keep up to the old slug. Also has just under 33000 miles on it.

Edited by zx7rr
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

On the Doo's, torsion spring setting,  and the weight transfer coupling blocks also can change handling. I rode a friend's tuned 900T last trip north, with snowtrackers installed,  and I can say, they work. I feel I have my sled dialed in darn near perfect for me. I prefer the pilot TX skis myself 

I have not ran a torsion spring or coupled skid sled in a long time, should be good to get back to that.

What is it about the snowtrackers that make them work? I have seen them online, never really paid much attention as I never felt the need for something like that, but seeing that many touch points in a carbide, never really sat well with me.....but maybe I am missing something?

4 minutes ago, zx7rr said:

Still have an 07 barney that i won't part with just for the fact it is so comfy but no top end by any stretch of the imagination, but on the trails i usually have friends trying to keep up to the old slug. Also has just under 33000 miles on it.

Must be a 4-stroke I am sure with those miles.

I think Zoso has his way up there in miles too!

Just now, stoney said:

4 stroke she is.

27 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I have only rode one a couple of times, but every time I did, I could believe the handling and comfort.....but could never bring myself to actually owning one....

I just looked at the snowtracker website and below is what they recommend you do after you install them......lengthen the straps to decrease ski pressure.

So in theory, with the extra bite they provide, you can remove weight/ski pressure from the front of the sled that should decrease steering effort while not encouraging pushing in the corners......in theory that is of course!

3- Relieve all the weight from the snowmobile skis by diminishing the pressure of about 75 % on the front skis springs of your sled. After this, you will need to adjust the spring on the track rails to be harder, about 75 % in order to diminish the pressure on the skis. It is very important at this time to lengthen the track rail straps to their maximum and this should stay like this in any way that you will adjust. These straps are located inside the track (inside the track rails section). For the Aggressive Snowtracker, you do not need any weight on the skis. The less possible weight will be ideal in the calibration of your snowmobile. If you adjusted all the springs, (the pressure) this will reduce gasoline consumption, will smoothen the steering of your sled, keep good front traction and keep from darting;

4- After removing all the weight off of the skis and adjusting the springs situated inside the track rail section, you should now do trial tests to further adjust, accordingly, to the way that you would prefer;

5- If after doing a few trials, you find that there is a tendency that there is not enough traction at the skis, you might need to now add pressure on the skis. You will need to readjust and increase the pressure on the skis. It is possible that you will need to give less pressure on the springs inside the track rail and should adjust for comfort and to your preference;

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zx7rr said:

4 stroke she is.

They are great sleds. Ours came to a sad end. It started having electrical issues. It would randomly shut off and not restart. On the third time towing it out of the bush, we were in North Bay. We spent the afternoon at Carlson's and that's where she rode an Apex with power steering. Turned out to be a cut through the wiring harness under the motor.We traded it at our local Yamaha dealer when we got home. A friend of my wife's went in and bought it with out letting us know. She rode it in to a fence the next winter. Then blow the motor the year after.

My wife had the sled on its side on the first ride, then she flipped it off a snowbank, rolled it into a ditch, then barrel rolled it on Kennisis over the 5 years she rode it. It was patched together with duct tape and hot glue.

The easy life of a lady driven sled. Buyer beware.......:rotflmao:

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, stoney said:

Mine went to well over 60k kms. I just gave it to a buddy up north for next to nothing. Her is not working and has an ice hut, it is now being gently used to go fish. Still runs great. Now the kid needs a new sled.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, stoney said:

I have not ran a torsion spring or coupled skid sled in a long time, should be good to get back to that.

What is it about the snowtrackers that make them work? I have seen them online, never really paid much attention as I never felt the need for something like that, but seeing that many touch points in a carbide, never really sat well with me.....but maybe I am missing something?

I don't necessarily love that kinda of aggressive carbide runner, but when I was riding my friends tuned 900T,  last trip in the NCDN, that sled tracked perfectly.  Absolutely no darting at all. And the 'ease' of steering for that type of runner, was phenomenal. Running at the speeds we were running on the Arnott Stretch down into Hornepayne, I found them to really shine. If I ever went back to just the TX Ski(non adjustable carbide) I may try them,  but right now i prefer the adjustability of the Pilot TX skis. That sled I rode had a ice ripper BTW.. 

40 minutes ago, stoney said:

I just looked at the snowtracker website and below is what they recommend you do after you install them......lengthen the straps to decrease ski pressure.

So in theory, with the extra bite they provide, you can remove weight/ski pressure from the front of the sled that should decrease steering effort while not encouraging pushing in the corners......in theory that is of course!

3- Relieve all the weight from the snowmobile skis by diminishing the pressure of about 75 % on the front skis springs of your sled. After this, you will need to adjust the spring on the track rails to be harder, about 75 % in order to diminish the pressure on the skis. It is very important at this time to lengthen the track rail straps to their maximum and this should stay like this in any way that you will adjust. These straps are located inside the track (inside the track rails section). For the Aggressive Snowtracker, you do not need any weight on the skis. The less possible weight will be ideal in the calibration of your snowmobile. If you adjusted all the springs, (the pressure) this will reduce gasoline consumption, will smoothen the steering of your sled, keep good front traction and keep from darting;

4- After removing all the weight off of the skis and adjusting the springs situated inside the track rail section, you should now do trial tests to further adjust, accordingly, to the way that you would prefer;

5- If after doing a few trials, you find that there is a tendency that there is not enough traction at the skis, you might need to now add pressure on the skis. You will need to readjust and increase the pressure on the skis. It is possible that you will need to give less pressure on the springs inside the track rail and should adjust for comfort and to your preference;

I would still leave the limiter strap to the last thing adjusted.  IMO, it's not something that just anyone wants to do right of the hop. Ride it first, make minor adjustments until you have it perfected.  And remember what you did, so if it does not work, you can go back a setting and so forth until you find that sweet spot.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

I don't necessarily love that kinda of aggressive carbide runner, but when I was riding my friends tuned 900T,  last trip in the NCDN, that sled tracked perfectly.  Absolutely no darting at all. And the 'ease' of steering for that type of runner, was phenomenal. Running at the speeds we were running on the Arnott Stretch down into Hornepayne, I found them to really shine. If I ever went back to just the TX Ski(non adjustable carbide) I may try them,  but right now i prefer the adjustability of the Pilot TX skis. That sled I rode had a ice ripper BTW.. 

I have always managed to get my sleds to where I needed them to be and within my comfort level, all using your standard type of carbide, so not on my radar for now.....maybe something to consider though if I get to that point on a new ride.