Picking a Wife Sled

Blackstar

Ok, I've been back and forth on this decision so I'm looking for opinions from you guys, and gals.

A new sled to replace the wife's Vector that I just sold.

Things it needs to have. Low steering effort, heated seat, added traction, good wind protection, 4 stroke, ability to run 60 mph.

With this list and what's available out there, I'm basically looking at Ski-doo and likely the 900NA. The 130 turbo is interesting but I don't think she needs it. I would be buying more for when my buddy borrows it.

This motor is in the Grand Touring and Renegade line. A 129 would have been fine too but not available. The Grand Touring Sport comes with the Silent Drive track which I'm told cannot be studded due to the drivers. I'm not interested in the Limited version so both these are out.

This leaves the Enduro and Adrenaline Trim packages in the Renegade. If I add the heated seat and taller windshield to the Adrenaline I'm still $2000 cheaper than the Enduro. With the Enduro I'd get an Ice Ripper, fancy gauge and Air Ride suspension in the rear. I prefer to stud this sled for her rather than the Ice Ripper as she has always had studs on the sleds she's ridden. I think she counts on them more than she realizes so best not to screw with what she is used to.

The fancy gauge is of no interest. As long as she has a fuel gauge and a clock, she will be happy.

This leaves the Air Ride. I see her setting it full soft and never touching it.

So my question is, Is it worth paying the extra for the Air Ride?

I know the Adrenaline was always considered a soft ride. Is that still the case? Are the front shocks rebuild-able? The rears?

Any sled you think I'm missing out on? Viper is the only one I see and she doesn't care for my Cat so I think its out.

Thanks for all opinions.

I've had 3 enduros and 2 grand tourings with the air controlled shock. It is not worth paying any extra, unless the rider plans to make use of it. I adjust mine dozens of times a day, but most folks don't.

30 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Ok, I've been back and forth on this decision so I'm looking for opinions from you guys, and gals.

Things it needs to have. Low steering effort, heated seat, added traction, good wind protection, 4 stroke, ability to run 60 mph.

With this list and what's available out there, I'm basically looking at Ski-doo and likely the 900NA. The 130 turbo is interesting but I don't think she needs it. I would be buying more for when my buddy borrows it.

This motor is in the Grand Touring and Renegade line. A 129 would have been fine too but not available. The Grand Touring Sport comes with the Silent Drive track which I'm told cannot be studded due to the drivers. I'm not interested in the Limited version so both these are out.

This leaves the Enduro and Adrenaline Trim packages in the Renegade. If I add the heated seat and taller windshield to the Adrenaline I'm still $2000 cheaper than the Enduro. With the Enduro I'd get an Ice Ripper, fancy gauge and Air Ride suspension in the rear. I prefer to stud this sled for her rather than the Ice Ripper as she has always had studs on the sleds she's ridden. I think she counts on them more than she realizes so best not to screw with what she is used to.

The fancy gauge is of no interest. As long as she has a fuel gauge and a clock, she will be happy.

I know the Adrenaline was always considered a soft ride. Is that still the case? Are the front shocks rebuild-able? The rears?

Any sled you think I'm missing out on? Viper is the only one I see and she doesn't care for my Cat so I think its out.

Thanks for all opinions.

I think you've got it figured out right.

• Like 2

I have air ride on a grand touring se.  Only time I adjust it, is when I take a passenger and extra gear on board. R motions are very good without air ride and motion control shocks use to be softest from skidoo. Last an easy 10,000 km’s. Spring blocks are easy to rotate to adjust coupling anyways on R motions. 
If she doesn’t do big km’s per year get 600 etec it is a nice choice too and Is lighter in front end. I loved my etec and it will match 4 stroke in fuel economy and have more top end then 900 Ace. 
I had yeni out on both before my dad died. She loved 600 etec and light steering it provided. 
900 ace Is a good engine but not super easy to steer.  It is work and she most likely won’t be happy with it coming off a Yamaha with power steering I am guessing.  Etec steers so much easier. Adrenaline is a nice trim. Choices choices good luck. 

Edited by Strong Farmer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Thanks for all opinions.

My wife has no idea such things exist - it will remain that way :)

Good luck with the purchase - you're a better man than me - I'd be looking for new riding buddies, much easier lol

mine came from a gsx 500ss that she liked but the throttle pull was to much for her

got her a 2014 gsx 900 ace and she loves it, i will say that it is the easiest sled i have ever ridden

so quiet,and just fun,  we are looking at a G4 for her

IMG_20171229_153131.thumb.jpg.47b1a9705902473f498f5d7f9f29b300.jpg

• Like 1

Go with the Adrenaline.  Spend the $300 on a set of semi aggressive snow trackers and follow the snow tracker instructions on how to remove all of the ski pressure.  Sled will steer easy, won't dart and your wife will love it.  The light throttle she will also like.  My wife got headaches riding two strokes.  900 ace solved a lot of complaints.

2 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

I have air ride on a grand touring se.  Only time I adjust it, is when I take a passenger and extra gear on board. R motions are very good without air ride and motion control shocks use to be softest from skidoo. Last an easy 10,000 km’s. Spring blocks are easy to rotate to adjust coupling anyways on R motions. 
If she doesn’t do big km’s per year get 600 etec it is a nice choice too and Is lighter in front end. I loved my etec and it will match 4 stroke in fuel economy and have more top end then 900 Ace. 
I had yeni out on both before my dad died. She loved 600 etec and light steering it provided. 
900 ace Is a good engine but not super easy to steer.  It is work and she most likely won’t be happy with it coming off a Yamaha with power steering I am guessing.  Etec steers so much easier. Adrenaline is a nice trim. Choices choices good luck. 

I realize the 2 stroke would be lighter handling and I'd buy one if I didn't have to put oil in it. When we both owned 2 strokes, I would put oil in both of them when I put in gas, no problems. Once I had a 4 stroke and she was still on the 2, she ran low on oil several times because I always forgot to check. This winter with 2 people using my 800 Doo, it ran low on oil on the last ride because I forgot to put oil in it.

When you are riding to a destination in the dark and she sees her oil light come on, its not good.

This will likely be that last sled for her.

2 hours ago, zoso said:

Buy the most expensive. This will guarantee an end to covid and you guys wintering in Florida. Do your part, we are all in this together.

I wonder what's out there for stimulus money? If I buy Doo, I'm supporting the Canadian economy right?

1 hour ago, Spiderman said:

My wife has no idea such things exist - it will remain that way :)

Good luck with the purchase - you're a better man than me - I'd be looking for new riding buddies, much easier lol

Snowmobiling is indirectly how we met and its one of the things that we still agree upon.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts gentlemen. It will be an Adrenaline.

Easy throttle pull was an issue back when I bought her an '07 F6 EFI. I was going to get her a 500SS until she rode one and hated the throttle.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Thanks for all opinions.

I would say the Enduro is a nice package has the heated seat, can add the higher windshield, air ride, and trust me the ice ripper is fine.  I have driven with the ice ripper for 4 years all kinds of conditions and love it.

Plus then you don't have to worry about the studs coming out and going through the sled and wrecking something.

I also add dupont sliders.  Got stuck with my 900 Ace once never again.  Sliders melted to the track clips ended my weekend away in less then 30km.  900 run a bit warm so these really do help.

5 minutes ago, Mrs Turbo Doo said:

I would say the Enduro is a nice package has the heated seat, can add the higher windshield, air ride, and trust me the ice ripper is fine.  I have driven with the ice ripper for 4 years all kinds of conditions and love it.

Plus then you don't have to worry about the studs coming out and going through the sled and wrecking something.

I also add dupont sliders.  Got stuck with my 900 Ace once never again.  Sliders melted to the track clips ended my weekend away in less then 30km.  900 run a bit warm so these really do help.

Now your going from a 900 ace, to a 900 Turbo R in a particular flavor. Look out....What did I start..

You asked a question about shocks. So for my 22 Brp have cheapened up the shocks on a Renegade adrenaline. The 4 shocks that come on this sled are called HPG/high pressure gas. They are decent but are not rebuildable. In the previous years the Renegade adrenaline came with HPG "plus" in the front. They are rebuildable. The rears/skid are Hpg which are non-rebuildable. Hope this helps..

Edited by snowchopper
  • Thanks 1

Did the Vectors have power steering?

l also recommend putting on Snow Trakers for easy steering and no darting.

Put Snow Trakers on my 900T. My wife rides my 850 with with adjustable skis. We switched machines one day and she didn’t want to give me my 900 back because it steers so much better.

16 minutes ago, snowchopper said:

You asked a question about shocks. So for my 22 Brp have cheapened up the shocks on a Renegade adrenaline. The 4 shocks that come on this sled are called HPG/high pressure gas. They are decent but are not rebuildable. In the previous years the Renegade adrenaline came with HPG "plus" in the front. They are rebuildable. The rears/skid are Hpg which are non-rebuildable. Hope this helps..

Ok, I was thinking the front would be rebuildable. Thanks for the info.

9 minutes ago, Fuse6 said:

Did the Vectors have power steering?

l also recommend putting on Snow Trakers for easy steering and no darting.

Put Snow Trakers on my 900T. My wife rides my 850 with with adjustable skis. We switched machines one day and she didn’t want to give me my 900 back because it steers so much better.

Yes, it was a '12 with the power steering.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Ok, I was thinking the front would be rebuildable. Thanks for the info.

Yes, it was a '12 with the power steering.

Go talk to doo couple and see if you can buy that 129 900 ace. Wide don’t like it you will break even just a thought. Xs is a nice chassis and 129 would be easier on arms no doubt. 

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Thanks for all opinions.

IMO, from what you have said, I would be looking at a 130 horse,  non intercooler 900 Renny Adrenaline. Close to power from her Vector. I would not worry about the sled having too much power, remember she will be able to run the sled in standard mode, if the need arises.  Ice ripper not optioned on Adrenalines...

Edited by Turbo Doo
  • Like 1

some good info above. 

I upgraded my wife's from a grand touring sport (500ss) to a G4 adrenaline 900NA. 

Took a few rides to be honest, she loved the sport but that's all history. Would never go back now. 

I will go against turbo doo recommendation, although it is a very valid one. (130hp version)

Below 60mph it has lots of pull for what it is, it's only above that they fall apart power wise. 

Another consideration is you can run 87 octane if that's your preference, or what's available on a ride. 

3 minutes ago, Willy said:

some good info above. 

I upgraded my wife's from a grand touring sport (500ss) to a G4 adrenaline 900NA. 

Took a few rides to be honest, she loved the sport but that's all history. Would never go back now. 

I will go against turbo doo recommendation, although it is a very valid one. (130hp version)

Below 60mph it has lots of pull for what it is, it's only above that they fall apart power wise. 

Another consideration is you can run 87 octane if that's your preference, or what's available on a ride. 

I agree. It's all about personal preference,  and the main thing,  your style of riding etc.  Last trip up north, it was all I could do, to keep up to the snow dust when Mrs. Turbo Doo was riding my turbo,  and I was on her 900ace. 

5 minutes ago, Willy said:

some good info above. 

Your referencing the 900ace, about the falling off of power below 60mph right?. 

13 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Your referencing the 900ace, about the falling off of power below 60mph right?. 

Yes. above 60. lol. 

For where we ride in central Ontario its awesome. Enjoy it myself as well. 

And yes totally agree its all about preference. You enjoy the NCDN and I enjoy reading your posts. If we rode areas like that regularly, yes I'd be on a tuned 900T for sure, and likely the same for her. For me (us) haven't been in 20ish yrs.  We will get back there someday just not for now. 

With all that said, can't wait to try the Mach next season!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Willy said:

Yes. above 60. lol. 

For where we ride in central Ontario its awesome. Enjoy it myself as well. 

And yes totally agree its all about preference. You enjoy the NCDN and I enjoy reading your posts. If we rode areas like that regularly, yes I'd be on a tuned 900T for sure, and likely the same for her. For me (us) haven't been in 20ish yrs.  We will get back there someday just not for now. 

With all that said, can't wait to try the Mach next season!!

Who's buying a Mach? :ph34r:

Everyone but me it seems. lol. 

Several in my riding cycles have ordered, including my father. 

He traded his machine in last week (pretty sure it sold in a day) whole other topic on here.

So he's at my place as we speak riding my machine. I should be good for a break in of the new Mach. 

As you say. :evil2:  

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Willy said:

Everyone but me it seems. lol. 

Several in my riding cycles have ordered, including my father. 

He traded his machine in last week (pretty sure it sold in a day) whole other topic on here.

So he's at my place as we speak riding my machine. I should be good for a break in of the new Mach. 

As you say. :evil2:  

:right_on::icon_steer:....