Zone9

Smitty5954

On 3/5/2021 at 6:08 PM, coolbane said:

Just wondering if anyone has ever done a mark-up of a D9 map showing where the really bad road runs are located?

I often run D9 but always seem to forget about the bad road run until I'm sitting there facing it:sad:

I wonder if it has it ever been discussed to mark trails that run the roads with a highlight or something on the trail guide to identify as such?

Too much extra work to do so with trail changing all the time perhaps.

I know when you zoom in close on the map, you can see the roads and if the trail is straight it’s usually a road run. I try to plan my routes around any & all road runs but it seems like they’re everywhere in the south more than ever. 

44 minutes ago, stoney said:

I wonder if it has it ever been discussed to mark trails that run the roads with a highlight or something on the trail guide to identify as such?

Too much extra work to do so with trail changing all the time perhaps.

If you look at the legend on the paper maps there is a colour for trail on road but it's rarely used even though the trail is on the road. If you zoom in enough on the ITG you can typically see where the trail runs either on or parallel to the road. 

On 3/6/2021 at 1:42 PM, Dave K said:

I went for my last ride last week Fri.

2 sleds, total near 3900 kms, and not a single breakdown.  I figure why wreck something now,  I think I'm parked for the season to now.

I don't have scratchers either, so that makes an easier decision to park it.

I was outside yesterday did 125 km’s. Snow was soft enough from traffic I didn’t need scratchers down. (Hate using them With all road crossings. Some bridge crossings sucked no snow at all and some road running with very limited snow.  I tried to avoid most of it, but still have to get around some how. Gravel was hard yesterday so didn’t any damage to sled,seen worse in middle of winter sometimes. 
Thanks for a great season. 1450 km’s all local riding. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

If you look at the legend on the paper maps there is a colour for trail on road but it's rarely used even though the trail is on the road. If you zoom in enough on the ITG you can typically see where the trail runs either on or parallel to the road. 

Have not used paper maps now in a bit, so have not noticed honestly either.

I knew you could zoom in on the ITG to see if it is a road, but some trails are also on roads not maintained in the winter, so unless you knew the area, one would think it was a trail along a road.

So thought that a trail on the ITG that is perhaps highlighted in Orange or something would quickly identify a road run......with the ever increasing trails that run along a road, figured it could be more valuable now than ever before.

38 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

That just sucks. Maybe an electric fence ? One wire ?  I am just guessing cause I don't have much knowledge on it 

Yes, if it is only one wire it would be an electric fence.

17 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Yes, if it is only one wire it would be an electric fence.

I was by that sign yesterday and it is a one wire fence. There was a long stretch of that electric fencing in that area. Just like the other signs that say “stay on trail or permission revoked” and then what do you see some f@##stick has gone off trail riding.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny_5oh said:

I was by that sign yesterday and it is a one wire fence. There was a long stretch of that electric fencing in that area. Just like the other signs that say “stay on trail or permission revoked” and then what do you see some f@##stick has gone off trail riding.

Well maybe the wire got into the sled and messed some thing up

19 hours ago, stoney said:

Have not used paper maps now in a bit, so have not noticed honestly either.

I knew you could zoom in on the ITG to see if it is a road, but some trails are also on roads not maintained in the winter, so unless you knew the area, one would think it was a trail along a road.

So thought that a trail on the ITG that is perhaps highlighted in Orange or something would quickly identify a road run......with the ever increasing trails that run along a road, figured it could be more valuable now than ever before.

I agree... I try to avoid road running whenever possible. Another benefit would be for those whose 12 yr old kids are restricted from road running. 

15 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

Well maybe the wire got into the sled and messed some thing up

If only that were true...

• Haha 1

Looking like this in southern D9

20210308_175215.jpg

20210308_174426.jpg

20210307_125913.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, brodhagenbullet said:

Looking like this in southern D9

20210308_175215.jpg

20210308_174426.jpg

20210307_125913.jpg

Fat lady sure is singin!

• Like 1

crap the bed and left good and early this morning. Launched from broadhagen. On trails just before 8 back to truck and loaded by 12:30. 120mile run! Rode until the trails all closed around me. Off to Cochrane Thursday. 

E7A1820F-D06C-4FFA-A361-F543072591BC.jpeg

5E832662-0354-48FF-A5B8-6F67669B5C86.jpeg

AE978213-28CA-41DC-B530-F10A52E9923D.jpeg

91FA30FF-A911-4F5C-A602-06DF733C95D3.jpeg

• Like 5