Zone9

Smitty5954

50 minutes ago, Smitty5954 said:

Hoping to head to the cottage in zone9. Port Elgin area next weekend. Is the are red because of the warm weekend and will it be open next weekend if the weather cools down

Hard to say.  Without new snow I think most trails will stay red, since you can’t get around system anyway’s, with roads so bad. 

57 minutes ago, Smitty5954 said:

Hoping to head to the cottage in zone9. Port Elgin area next weekend. Is the are red because of the warm weekend and will it be open next weekend if the weather cools down

Just came home that way today. Unless we get some freshness, things aren’t looking very promising unfortunately 

• Like 1

I am west of there in SInghampton, our snow base is still reasonable but the roads and shoulders will be burned open - thats the weak link. 

MS

• Like 1

Snowing like crazy right now in fergus. All road running was brutal last week, but the trail base is still good. Scratchers are a must this time of year.

We may survive. Frozen solid base now, but  all the snow we are getting is just blowing away.

Could be a tough scratch...... :(

4 hours ago, Baylaker said:

Snowing like crazy right now in fergus. All road running was brutal last week, but the trail base is still good. Scratchers are a must this time of year.

You use them going across road. I have a set on my doo, just don’t want to snag them on pavement edge? 

On 3/1/2021 at 3:10 PM, vooodooo said:

We may survive. Frozen solid base now, but  all the snow we are getting is just blowing away.

Could be a tough scratch...... :(

Groomed our rail line today, hard as concrete but slow and steady cut some up into a flatish fine powder and small nuggets. It will reopen, it's survived well.  Still a foot of rock solid base in most spots.

Bush trails and farm fields not so much. Couldn't do much but scratch up enough so you might not smell sliders and coolant.

• Thanks 1

Did a loop today from Markdale to the West Side of Collingwood over to Thornbury and back via Walter Falls.

Scratchers were down the entire time or else the 900 Ace would get warm.   Very icy sections and the rest was hard snow.   Road running was mainly gravel and bare,...not worth going back to the area this season unless we get some fresh snow to take care of the roads.

Passed a groomer going the opposite way, that helped immensely with the frozen ruts that grabbed your skis.

Still had a good day, and was pleased with how well the trails held up after the warmer weather and rain.

1 minute ago, Candubrain said:

Did a loop today from Markdale to the West Side of Collingwood over to Thornbury and back via Walter Falls.

Scratchers were down the entire time or else the 900 Ace would get warm.   Very icy sections and the rest was hard snow.   Road running was mainly gravel and bare,...not worth going back to the area this season unless we get some fresh snow to take care of the roads.

Passed a groomer going the opposite way, that helped immensely with the frozen ruts that grabbed your skis.

Still had a good day, and was pleased with how well the trails held up after the warmer weather and rain.

You cross roads with scratchers down? 

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

I have a Sidewinder with cable scratchers on A arms, and I don't worry about road or rail crossings or backing up. On my Polaris, spring wire scratchers on rail, have crossed roads and rails with them down, just can't back up with them down.

On 3/1/2021 at 5:28 PM, Strong Farmer said:

You use them going across road. I have a set on my doo, just don’t want to snag them on pavement edge? 

I will drive across a road with them down, but I’ll put them up if there’s a long road stretch. No point burning them up..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Yup,  I put them down in the morning and ran all day with them down.   They're the Doo ones that mount to the tunnel with double springs so you can run in reverse with them.

The also have the replaceable carbide tip, when one side wears down you spin them 180 degrees and continue using them.   No fear of breaking, snagging or wearing them out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Candubrain said:

Yup,  I put them down in the morning and ran all day with them down.   They're the Doo ones that mount to the tunnel with double springs so you can run in reverse with them.

The also have the replaceable carbide tip, when one side wears down you spin them 180 degrees and continue using them.   No fear of breaking, snagging or wearing them out.

Ok thanks I have same ones, but they are new to me this season. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Candubrain said:

There is no flat on the reverse side of the spring shaft and will likely not hold position or just work its way off the shaft.

I have already tried to spin worn ends.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AC+YA said:

There is no flat on the reverse side of the spring shaft and will likely not hold position or just work its way off the shaft.

I have already tried to spin worn ends.

didn't know that....thanks

• Like 1

220 mile day,ouch.

20210303_095953.jpg

20210303_093609.jpg

20210303_102443.jpg

20210303_093517.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/2/2021 at 7:42 PM, Strong Farmer said:

For the most part, my scratchers are always down, unless I reverse or loading sled into trailer.

Left one always wears faster than the right one.

I have always used the spring type that mount to the skid......have worked very well for me and those that follow will say there is a quite the snow storm and snow chunks coming off the back of the sled.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Trails look decent enough.  Great pictures, thanks for sharing..

Roads are terrible, some rail lines in southern D9 getting bad.Choose your trail wisely 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

You go up or down b111. Was good Saturday and not much road either. 

Just a little bit around palmerston and mount forest.B108 and B111 are generally always a bit rougher/busier than the rest.

On 3/2/2021 at 10:37 PM, Candubrain said:

Just like AC&YA says about flat spot. Tips will not stay. This is my 3rd sled with them. Always use loctite on set screw even from new install. Just have to heat screw up a bit to change tip.

• Like 1