Slowing Down when Passing Stopped Sleds - Not happening Much Anymore?

Gadgetman

I've been sledding ON since 1998, and we as a group always slow down when passing stopped sleds, either direction. To me, it seems that when we are stopped, other sleds slowing down when passing us has decreased each year, to the point that this year in my local area (D1) no one slows down while passing us when I'm stopped.

As Lead sled I set the pace, so I slow us down when passing stopped sleds.

Actually, we slow down when approaching oncoming sleds, even on straight stretches, which also seems to be decreasing (closing at 100km\hr will always have risk).

So, my question to all of the "Leads", isn't it much safer if all Lead sleds slow your group down when passing stopped sleds?

Edited by Gadgetman
  • Like 7

Always slow down and ask if everything Ok. 

• Like 2

@Gadgetman Met a group of 4 a couple of weeks ago on the railbed south of Bancroft that were running nose to tail. W/ all the snow dust I doubt the last rider even saw me on the trail...

It didn't appear that any of them slowed down seeing an oncoming sled.

No wonder you have chain reaction accidents where the following sleds pole into the initial crashed sleds.

Later the same day I stopped to take some pics. Three sleds caught up to me & the lead rider slowed down to ask if O was OK. I gave him the :right_on: . He nodded & continued on.

• Like 2

Slow down here, usually give a thumbs ups and look for one in return that all okay.

On this same topic as stopping on the side of the trail, on the flip side, how about those that pick the most inappropriate spot to stop, and without a mechanical issue......same thing, just a complete lack of thought.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stoney said:

Slow down here, usually give a thumbs ups and look for one in return that all okay.

On this same topic as stopping on the side of the trail, on the flip side, how about those that pick the most inappropriate spot to stop, and without a mechanical issue......same thing, just a complete lack of thought.

Saw on Sun' where someone had turned around on the 'backside' of a hill. A southbound sled wouldn't have seen them before it was too late.

1 minute ago, stoney said:

Lol, yes.... guess I better learn to act the part. 
Any lessons you can share.... :)

yes get used to smooth riding,  massive respect, adulation from other brands and the swooning of females.........

• Haha 3

I have noticed the trend of non slowing by many more sleds this year.  Especially when oncoming passing.  There's usually following sleds that can't  move to the right, let alone stay right as they are not set up correctly and wandering all over the trail.  There lack of experience and set up has them trying to signal following when they need to use both hands to fight their sled over to the right instead. Leads should brief priority and positioning.

Don't get me started on stopped sleds or non sledding traffic.  The number of times I've come to a group that has sleds stopped in the middle of the trail or blocking intersections is ridiculous.  The best was a group of 6 abreast at a T that all looked at the same time as I appeared from around a corner out if nowhere.  "What do you mean there are others on the trail at the same time as us?"

I slow to a crawl when it's a dog walker, skier or possibly a land owner.  Gives a chance for a good wave and response. Can't stand the ones that wiz by thinking they have no right to be there and ignore them.

Take the time to do the right thing and educate the newer riders.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

ran into a group a couple years ago, same thing all over the trail, never on their own side. They don't respect anything or anybody but themselves so not much chance of any courteousy on the trail. Respect should have been taught when they were younger.

• Like 2

On 2/26/2021 at 9:28 PM, revrnd said:

Saw on Sun' where someone had turned around on the 'backside' of a hill. A southbound sled wouldn't have seen them before it was too late.

We were on a saddle bag trip a few years back. Both other riders were 40 year plus sledders. Got to Elliot, our route was to go south, one of the guys decided to run north and lead, wrong way. other guy follows. I then sit and wait for them to realize. After a couple of minutes I give chase. I come over a hill, both of them are stopped on the blindside, both sleds in a different track. Had to do some fast moves to avoid hitting the parked sleds. They stopped there to assist a guy that went off trail and was stuck. Not sure what the hell they were thinking.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Toyman said:

Don't get me started on stopped sleds.  The number of times I've come to a group that has sleds stopped in the middle of the trail or blocking intersections is ridiculous.  The best was a group of 6 abreast at a T that all looked at the same time as I appeared from around a corner out if nowhere.  "What do you mean there are others on the trail at the same time as us?"

BTDT Once on the Fushimi Loop @ the L165 intersection. Get there & sleds are parked all over the place blocking the trail. Just because you're likely in the northernmost place to sled, doesn't mean there won't be other riders out. Took their sweet time to fire up the sleds that were in the way.

The other time was south of Dorset heading towards Raven Lake. Again sleds parked every which way...

In both cases they acted like the were doing us a huge favour by moving their sleds so we could ride thru.

I had a friend that forever would pull up beside my left side & shut off his sled on busy trails. Finally I had enough. I pulled ahead (since I was leading) & told him to park behind me so as to not be on the trail.

Never before have I seen more a-hos riding then Saturday from Haliburton to Whitney and down around Elephant lake back to Haliburton.

Who ever the ass on the Red Yamaha that flew past us you deserve a solid beating.  And I will happily give it to them.

I actually believe the dick was speeding up when going past.  No respect for other riders or the trail system.

It was pretty amazing the number of sleds on the wrong side of blind corners.   More amazing no one was killed that I am aware of so far.

• Sad 1

I had a large group heading south out of Whitney Friday afternoon where the typical third or forth sled (green AC?) was trying to keep up and ended up sideways in front of me on a sweeping right curve showering me in a white out of snow and ice. Not impressed to say the least.  

On my return trip back down the same B106E I came across a large group where the young guy (green AC?) had hit a tree and at a minimum all the plastics and windshield were smashed.  A lot of unhappy people, but the mother gave me a thumbs up as I slowly moved through.  Good use of a parked sled tucked in to the preceding corner to warn me and others. Looks like no injury, but probably screwed the weekend for a few of that group.

Lots of sleds Saturday, but none too out of control that I can remember.  Got in 750 kms Friday and Saturday and headed home today totalling 863 kms.

• Sad 1

Also pics on Faceplant of a 3 sled chain reaction on B106E. Apparently the 1st 2 sleds in a group of 3 had stopped, 3rd rider wasn't paying attention....