Parry Sound / North Bay Health Region trail closure is over!

Puggz

23 minutes ago, Giddy UP said:

He lives in North Bay.....I am from Kearney...that is 1 hour away....I am all for supporting the small towns that got caught in the cross-fire.....if we could divorce ourselves from North Bay and only be Parry Sound I would be OK with that!

100% - I think in my own poorly laid out post - this is what I was getting to.

I'm must glad to see the locals who live there are getting to ride.

be well - be safe

• Like 2

Rode 200 kilometers today in District 10, our first ride of the season, low sled traffic but picked up by the time we got home.

Left Pointe au Baril and ended up at Jake's in Port Loring. They had 'Sledder's Special" posted in window, take out only. They were very thankful for us stopping, at 12:30 we were their first sledding customers of the day. No sign of OPP yet, was actually surprised.

j1.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

100% - I think in my own poorly laid out post - this is what I was getting to.

I'm must glad to see the locals who live there are getting to ride.

be well - be safe

:right_on:

2 hours ago, cravesledding said:

Kind of sad when you see a positive post posted and within seconds it gets negative.Not much keeping people in positive state of mind these days.

So let's take this little bite of great new for these districts and let them enjoy this.

Stay safe ride safe. Cheer!  :cheers:

There is nothing positive about the decision to keep businesses closed when there is no justification to do so.

Snowmobile trails opening are great but keep it in perspective.  Oh and I am about to pull the trigger on a new Mach z.

4 minutes ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Been fine in my opinion 

You rode the area since it opened?

I was wondering if their presence is still as strong as it seemed to be when the trails were closed......I am guessing it has decreased, but who knows.

22 minutes ago, stoney said:

You rode the area since it opened?

I was wondering if their presence is still as strong as it seemed to be when the trails were closed......I am guessing it has decreased, but who knows.

Oh sorry. Was watching the leaf game at the same time as reading. So no.

This reopening is a little late for me, have already made other plans for the next few weeks and unfortunately won't be in these districts now.  Usually book a few nights and enjoy the Mattawa/Northbay trails for a couple of weeks in Feb but not this year. Sorry local businesses.

Hope others can enjoy there great trails.

Ran into 2 opp officers today outside of kearney.  Spoke with them for about 20 mins.  Asked us if we had liquor, and asked us where were from.  We told them we have cottage in kearney.  They were good with it.

They told us they wrote up 3 guys for drinking today.  

Also there was a brand new polaris racked up against a tree on d trail, with nobody around.   Seen groomer up the trail and said guy was flying around corner and mis judged his speed and hit tree hard and snapped his leg.  Sled was still there around 4pm today against the tree.

Great trails today.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Well, I know this will go over like a lead balloon around here, but I'll give it a shot:

If you were in charge of public health in NB/PS in January 2021, it seems reasonable to me that you should consider methods to limit the arrival of non-essential folks from the 'dirty south'.  What would you have done? 

You could try to limit ice fishing, downhill skiing, X country skiing, etc. I would guess that in January, all these activities bring a fraction of the visitors to NB/PS compared to snowmobiling. And snowmobiling is easy to regulate. I would probably have made that same easy decision. 

As always, it is easy for the armchair experts to always know what is the right decision; it's not so black and white in real life. 

If you don't believe in public health measures to limit Covid spread, just ignore this post.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, coolbane said:

Well, I know this will go over like a lead balloon around here, but I'll give it a shot:

If you were in charge of public health in NB/PS in January 2021, it seems reasonable to me that you should consider methods to limit the arrival of non-essential folks from the 'dirty south'.  What would you have done? 

You could try to limit ice fishing, downhill skiing, X country skiing, etc. I would guess that in January, all these activities bring a fraction of the visitors to NB/PS compared to snowmobiling. And snowmobiling is easy to regulate. I would probably have made that same easy decision. 

As always, it is easy for the armchair experts to always know what is the right decision; it's not so black and white in real life. 

If you don't believe in public health measures to limit Covid spread, just ignore this post.

Yes and tick off the locals. As has been suggested, limit motels and you'd stop the sledders coming up from the dirty south. Who's going to drive up from the GTA for a day ride?

Also why didn't the other MOHs not do the same? Simcoe/Muskoka MOH didn't close the trails there & I think people were more concerned with the variants in Barrie.

The trails were open in Hali', Peterborough & Hastings counties. No discussion from the officials there and a lot closer for daytrippers. Parking lots full in the morning, empty @ 6 PM.

This guy was all on his own in his decision making.

I have been abiding by the measures, but when something as heavy handed as this is enacted, it doesn't go over to well.

Reminds me of kids saying I'll jump in if you do. One kid jumps in & rest of them stay on the dock. He shut down the trails & no one else followed suit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, revrnd said:

Yes and tick off the locals. As has been suggested, limit motels and you'd stop the sledders coming up from the dirty south. Who's going to drive up from the GTA for a day ride?

Also why didn't the other MOHs not do the same? Simcoe/Muskoka MOH didn't close the trails there & I think people were more concerned with the variants in Barrie.

The trails were open in Hali', Peterborough & Hastings counties. No discussion from the officials there and a lot closer for daytrippers. Parking lots full in the morning, empty @ 6 PM.

This guy was all on his own in his decision making.

I have been abiding by the measures, but when something as heavy handed as this is enacted, it doesn't go over to well.

Reminds me of kids saying I'll jump in if you do. One kid jumps in & rest of them stay on the dock. He shut down the trails & no one else followed suit.

Did you see all the people dying in muskoka Haliburton.........oh right there wasn't any  

• Like 2

The evidence is clear, STAY HOME and SAVE LIVES......:coffeenose:

It is so great that we live in a part of the country where we can all have our own opinions, thoughts and freedoms.....:sarcasm_on-1:

Edited by stoney

Probably have a greater risk getting taken out sledding vs Covid, just saying.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Did you see all the people dying in muskoka Haliburton.........oh right there wasn't any  

None of this 'in case of' thinking. In Peterborough County any of the deaths that were reported were in LTC homes. If the HU reported any deaths in the general public they were few and far between.

This response in NBPS reminds me of the laundry list of rules my nephew had when he was going to elementary school.

'No bringing hockey sticks to school' 

'Why?'

'The kids MIGHT start hitting each other with the sticks'

'Has that happened?'

'No'

12 minutes ago, revrnd said:

None of this 'in case of' thinking. In Peterborough County any of the deaths that were reported were in LTC homes. If the HU reported any deaths in the general public they were few and far between.

This response in NBPS reminds me of the laundry list of rules my nephew had when he was going to elementary school.

'No bringing hockey sticks to school' 

'Why?'

'The kids MIGHT start hitting each other with the sticks'

'Has that happened?'

'No'

statistically that was the way this whole "pandemic" went down. If we only protected our seniors (like we were supposed to) and not shoved our patients into old age homes and then reasonably protected everyone else . This would have been fine.

18 hours ago, Giddy UP said:

He lives in North Bay.....I am from Kearney...that is 1 hour away....I am all for supporting the small towns that got caught in the cross-fire.....if we could divorce ourselves from North Bay and only be Parry Sound I would be OK with that!

I actually feel ashamed and don't want to tell people I'm from north Bay. :mad:

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Probably have a greater risk getting taken out sledding vs Covid, just saying.

Yep.

2 hours ago, stoney said:

This is probably very true!

Sad but true...

1 hour ago, flash 800 said:

I actually feel ashamed and don't want to tell people I'm from north Bay. :mad:

Just tell them you're not a doctor. 

Besides we know the residents didn't vote this guy in. It's just too bad the that the complaints of a few busybodies was taken as the gospel & the rest of the community had to suffer like the PS mayor said.

13 hours ago, coolbane said:

There are a couple of issues that made it hard to take/understand.

Firstly, one of the lowest Health Units in Ontario regarding number of cases, hospitalization and deaths per capita.

Secondly, being the only Health Unit in Ontario to issue such an Order.

Thirdly, having a District MOH that refuses to hold Press Conferences such as most other District, Provincial and Federal officials where they answer every question that is asked by accredited media.

Fourthly, only answering a few pre-submitted questions that he chooses to answer.

Fifthly, providing no evidence that outdoor skating rinks, downhill skiing or snowmobiling have proven to be a contributing factor to spreading Covid-19 in the NBPS Health Unit. 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Firstly, one of the lowest Health Units in Ontario regarding number of cases, hospitalization and deaths per capita.

Thirdly, having a District MOH that refuses to hold Press Conferences such as most other District, Provincial and Federal officials where they answer every question that is asked by accredited media.

Fourthly, only answering a few pre-submitted questions that he chooses to answer.

Fifthly, providing no evidence that outdoor skating rinks, downhill skiing or snowmobiling have proven to be a contributing factor to spreading Covid-19 in the NBPS Health Unit. 

So much common sense here!!

Most rational people I think would understand decisions made, if there was actual valid reasons and data to support it, that was shared & up for debate.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, stoney said:

So much common sense here!!

Most rational people I think would understand decisions made, if there was actual valid reasons and data to support it, that was shared & up for debate.

Most rational people also expect our governments to be honest and working in our best interest.  What happens when that is not the case?

Just look at the mask nonsense, they don't stop crap and long wearing effects are worse.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Most rational people also expect our governments to be honest and working in our best interest.  What happens when that is not the case?

Just look at the mask nonsense, they don't stop crap and long wearing effects are worse.

The issue lies in whos interests are best.....but then you have the option to vote on a platform, that might best suit your interests, until they flip and follow a bunch of medical people that no one knew carried the power that they apparently do.

As for what happens when not the case, you do not need to look far right now to see.

3 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

Because he can...