Kapuskasing and Hearst

andreyboater

1 hour ago, andreyboater said:

We are going to Cochrane on Thursday, planning Canyon on Friday, Saturday to Hearst and Sunday back to Cochrane. Just curious, if clubs will keep trails open after mild weather.  Feedback from locals will be very appreciated. 

I’m in Hearst now the snow hasn’t changed at all yet as long as we don’t get much rain the trails will be fine. The snow is a little dirty around town but that’s it 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, 1049 said:

I’m in Hearst now the snow hasn’t changed at all yet as long as we don’t get much rain the trails will be fine. The snow is a little dirty around town but that’s it 

Thanks for the updates. :right_on:. The snow was dirty coming in the back behind the Super 8 and the companion a few weeks ago also. Doesn't help crossing the tracks there, and the Woodmill does not help either.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Thanks for the updates. :right_on:. The snow was dirty coming in the back behind the Super 8 and the companion a few weeks ago also. Doesn't help crossing the tracks there, and the Woodmill does not help either.. 

The fresh snow last week covered up that.

• Like 1

Kirkland is good for snow as of today just as much as Cochrane . How ever there is about 1 k of logging between Kirkland and Sesk. Groomer has the ditch leveled  that section is tight when sharing with a fully loaded truck. Might want to call the Doo dealer or club on Thurs. for a boots on the trail report.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

How are snow levels in Kirkland Lake. ?  Can they withstand the rain and mild ?  

Follow the Golden Corridor Facebook Page.  Kirkland does good updating on grooming and trail conditions. I will have a look around on our way north Wednesday..

• Thanks 3

On 3/7/2021 at 9:52 PM, revrnd said:

A question for long time sledders up on the Corridor. I know there have been some reroutes over the years TOP A used to have a VERY fast section south of 11 between Fauquier & Strickland (my buddy holed a piston in his SRX in '07 on it). Also where it turns south @ Reesor Siding, you used to be able to see a TOP A marker east in the tag alders.

So here goes, did L123 used to be TOP A? I seem to remember on my 1st trip in 2000, that we ran south of the highway for a long ways & then crossed over @ Moonbeam. I have the 2000 Trail Guide & it shows TOP A north of the highway. I don't think the guys would've ventured off A as it was all new to them. Any comments?

I have been riding the NCDN since the mid 90s, usually as part of the Chapleau, Foleyet, Timmins Big Loop, and don't think the A trail was ever the route of the current 123. I could be wrong because we were always booking miles without observing the geography or even the scenery. I believe the A trail always went through Kap, and initially there was no option to bypass like there came to be when the 123 was opened. When that happened, early in this millennium IIRC, we always used 123 to bypass Kap to save time doing the loop. Had the 123 previously been the A trail route, we would never have come to know the spring floods along Government Road by the Comfort Inn.

Just looking @ my GPS files & the earliest records are for '07 & the trails look pretty much as the are nowadays. Even the '04 district map looks very similar. I'll have to go thru my magazine collection for the Map Atlas issues. What would eventually become TOP A has 3 gaps between Hearst & Cochrane in 1990. 

23 hours ago, tricky said:

Scott, we just pulled the plug on this week's planned trip to the Northern Corridor. We are rescheduling for next week, driving north on Wednesday and staying thru the weekend.  No accommodations booked yet. Just Malcolm and I are committed, but we have a 3rd, 4th and 5th expressing interest. Two of those guys who you know well are flakey as grandma's baked pastries, but I expect we will get at least one of the 'maybees'.

We could likely meet you somewhere, or if you could arrange time off, you could join us from the start.

Now Thursday is forecast to be +8. That's why we postponed.

Keep me posted.   Depending on the days we could hook for a ride.   I am not sure what day I am going but if there was a chance that we could ride together, even for a day, I may consider a solo run.    All of my other riding partners have called it a season.     Best year we have had locally and I actually have less kms on my sled compared to the "bad" years.    FFS.    

If you don't mind, I will keep you advised of our plans via email Scott. I just hope there is enough snow left after Thursday to justify driving up next week. We can count on fellow OCers to let us know how things are by the weekend.

• Like 1

Just now, Turbo Doo said:

I am no contemplating pulling the plug on our trip north tomorrow.  May just call it a season now.. :wtf:. I'll make the final call before loading the sleds tonight..

I just talked to Brian at westway and he told me the rain they were to have yesterday was snow. Fingers crossed it doesn’t rain that much and the system changes course a bit. He seemed positive about things anyhow 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, T bird said:

I just talked to Brian at westway and he told me the rain they were to have yesterday was snow. Fingers crossed it doesn’t rain that much and the system changes course a bit. He seemed positive about things anyhow 

I was chatting with Curtis last night,  Brian and Kathy's son, and he did mention it was snowing,  even though my weather app said it was pouring rain.  Stupid Weather..

18 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

I was chatting with Curtis last night,  Brian and Kathy's son, and he did mention it was snowing,  even though my weather app said it was pouring rain.  Stupid Weather..

Stay away from The Weather Network! They can't get to spring fast enough & play to an audience of winter haters...

I have a friend that takes TWN as the gospel :rolleyes:. You can go on 3 different weather sites & get 3 different forecasts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I’m certainly not relying on the predicted forecast. As it’s been in the past they are usually wrong. I’m hoping for the best and will make the best of it one way or another. Hope to cross paths with whomever may be up there this wknd!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turbo Doo said:

I am now contemplating pulling the plug on our trip north tomorrow.  May just call it a season now.. :wtf:. I'll make the final call before loading the sleds tonight..

In Kap now eating lunch . It was -13 in Hearst this morning the sun is shining about +3 now things are still 99% . If we don’t get much rain things will be fine don’t leave home with out scratchers ! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am now contemplating pulling the plug on our trip north tomorrow.  May just call it a season now.. :wtf:. I'll make the final call before loading the sleds tonight..

Whaaaaat 

• Haha 1

Can you push it up a couple days ?

1 hour ago, 1049 said:

In Kap now eating lunch . It was -13 in Hearst this morning the sun is shining about +3 now things are still 99% . If we don’t get much rain things will be fine don’t leave home with out scratchers ! 

Yup, we have duponts and doo carbide tipped scratchers just for these occasions..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1049 said:

Keep us posted please.  I see SRF to Timmins is yellow now..