Kapuskasing and Hearst

andreyboater

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

What we rode in most of today

20210302_153713.thumb.jpg.9f8bbf56fdc7157f59bb6fd5a0bd6f4d.jpg

Awesome fresh snow, still coming down to the East of you.  Made for a fun ride today.  

• Like 1

Tonight's weather report

20210302_202049.thumb.jpg.0c2fbe13d364740cf4a30715a40a45fa.jpg

20210302_202111.thumb.jpg.d14a65b12b3f6149381a208f0cb7e083.jpg

20210302_202134.thumb.jpg.e6c831afd7874065699db45a259a1592.jpg

Probably a bit late for you guys, but there is more or less no stake line/signage from TOP A to the Super 8. @irREVerent & I ran it on Wed'. He said he was glad I knew where the trail went as he wouldn't have been able to follow it. 

Are you allowed to book rooms again?

or do you need to have an existing reservation?

Lots of rigs @ the Westway. A few sleds @ the Chimo. One rig @ the Travelodge beside the truck stop. I didnt notice the Thriftlodge.

There were 2 sleds warming up @ Rolly's when I drove by.

Never noticed yesterday but last Fri' there weren't any rigs @ the No Adventure Inn.

3 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Book rooms. No issues 

Thanks

where do you recommend?   

First time if if I go.

6 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Thanks

where do you recommend?   

First time if if I go.

Where are you starting your ride? Are you day riding from there or saddlebagging? 

First choice would be Westway. I havent heard of any reports on the 'rebranded' Travelodge. The Thriftlodge is getting a bit old. Station Inn can be iffy once the pavement starts getting bare. Someone has stated @ the Chimo this winter.

In Kap we didn't notice any sleds @ the other motels. The Advantage is basic and clean. The Apollo used to be our go to place. Good location as it's between Papa Franco's & Chuck's Roadhouse.

Be aware in Kap' it didn't appear that any of the restaurants were open for breaky.

In Hearst the Super 8 & Companion are adjacent. Both are close to gas (Shell our choice as you don't have to deal w/ transports in the lot like the Esso.

Beer store is between the Super 8 & Esso.

Denis said a lot of work has been done to the Villa. It's beside the Husky truck stop @ the west end of town.

TOP A just east of SRF yesterday:

image.png.3552a9256d2c2b0116f5c4648280aab0.png

TOP A & TOP C intersection

image.thumb.png.9f9c3e08b4d40d517f1804fd7d69d14a.png

• Like 2

Anyone have any interest in heading back up there on the 20th weekend?    My dad is done for the season and my other go-to buddy has sled problems and isnt motivated to drop $2k next week to get his sled ready for one more ride.    I would really like to do a 3 day tour.   Cochrane/Canyon, Cochrane to Hearst, Hearst back to Cochrane and then likely call it a season.   

5 hours ago, scottyr said:

Anyone have any interest in heading back up there on the 20th weekend?    My dad is done for the season and my other go-to buddy has sled problems and isnt motivated to drop $2k next week to get his sled ready for one more ride.    I would really like to do a 3 day tour.   Cochrane/Canyon, Cochrane to Hearst, Hearst back to Cochrane and then likely call it a season.   

If my back wasn't bothering me I'd be in like a fat kid on cake.

• Haha 2

Cochrane and Kap will make it no problem.   Its only warm Tues and Wed this week and back down to well below freezing for the long range 

• Like 1

A question for long time sledders up on the Corridor. I know there have been some reroutes over the years TOP A used to have a VERY fast section south of 11 between Fauquier & Strickland (my buddy holed a piston in his SRX in '07 on it). Also where it turns south @ Reesor Siding, you used to be able to see a TOP A marker east in the tag alders.

So here goes, did L123 used to be TOP A? I seem to remember on my 1st trip in 2000, that we ran south of the highway for a long ways & then crossed over @ Moonbeam. I have the 2000 Trail Guide & it shows TOP A north of the highway. I don't think the guys would've ventured off A as it was all new to them. Any comments?

11 hours ago, revrnd said:

A question for long time sledders up on the Corridor. I know there have been some reroutes over the years TOP A used to have a VERY fast section south of 11 between Fauquier & Strickland (my buddy holed a piston in his SRX in '07 on it). Also where it turns south @ Reesor Siding, you used to be able to see a TOP A marker east in the tag alders.

So here goes, did L123 used to be TOP A? I seem to remember on my 1st trip in 2000, that we ran south of the highway for a long ways & then crossed over @ Moonbeam. I have the 2000 Trail Guide & it shows TOP A north of the highway. I don't think the guys would've ventured off A as it was all new to them. Any comments?

I do remember Top A taking a different route going east from just south of Reesor Siding. Seems to me that it was a windy trail going southeast towards the longgg straight section going east through the bush to the old green wood clubhouse (foget the name) that burnt.

On 3/6/2021 at 8:48 AM, scottyr said:

Scott, we just pulled the plug on this week's planned trip to the Northern Corridor. We are rescheduling for next week, driving north on Wednesday and staying thru the weekend.  No accommodations booked yet. Just Malcolm and I are committed, but we have a 3rd, 4th and 5th expressing interest. Two of those guys who you know well are flakey as grandma's baked pastries, but I expect we will get at least one of the 'maybees'.

We could likely meet you somewhere, or if you could arrange time off, you could join us from the start.

19 hours ago, scottyr said:

Cochrane and Kap will make it no problem.   Its only warm Tues and Wed this week and back down to well below freezing for the long range 

Now Thursday is forecast to be +8. That's why we postponed.

The clubhouse you're thinking of was the Opaz club's. 

I'll check my earliest GPS tracks & see what I can find.

We are going to Cochrane on Thursday, planning Canyon on Friday, Saturday to Hearst and Sunday back to Cochrane. Just curious, if clubs will keep trails open after mild weather.  Feedback from locals will be very appreciated. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andreyboater said:

We are going to Cochrane on Thursday, planning Canyon on Friday, Saturday to Hearst and Sunday back to Cochrane. Just curious, if clubs will keep trails open after mild weather.  Feedback from locals will be very appreciated. 

Yup.  Heading up Wednesday.  Having a meltdown following the weather forecast. :angry-smiley-005: