Wiarton to Tobermory Run Yesterday

Candubrain

We ran from Wiarton up the B107 to Tobermory, did the  B Loop around Tobermory and back along the B108.   Just a tad shy of 300Kms and 10 hr to complete, this was with minimal break times...quick snack or drink and stopping for fuel in Tobermory.

The day started with rough trails because of the deep snow and drifts.   We met the groomer coming down at the half way mark going north, from there it was a much better ride.   Despite the snow accumulations and the groom trails we still ground our skis on rocks that were just below what is perceived as good deep snow.

The run is about 70% narrow tight twisting trails through the bush, 20% road running and 10% farm fields.  It's very physically demanding because of the twisting trails, and there were several "OH NO!" moments when sleds come from the opposite direction as you cannot see very far ahead as much of the bush areas were lined with cedar or pine trees blocking your view.  Add to that the trails are not very wide.  Common sense dictates the appropriate speed through here.

There are some great views of the escarpment and small lakes especially when you get into the Provincial Park.

We parked at a friends place....so I cannot direct you as to where to park your trailer.

If it wasn't for Covid I would have run from my home in Kincadine to Tobermory,  stayed the night and ride back, it would have been more relaxing......next year.

brian

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for info. One day it looks tough for that run, we did a 10 years ago from Owen Sound to Tobermory, stayed at Princess hotel over night and back to Owen Sound. Trail is twisty and narrow but we have a fun. Not sure if I will do it again, prefer straight wide Northern trails :)   

I agree you can't beat the wide trails up North for putting on miles and not taxing yourself.

But it's like peeing on an electric fence as a kid,.....you just have to do it....lol

• Haha 1