Sudbury Trails - Wolf Loop around Lake Wanapitei

Sevey

Looking for someone to give me an idea of how much snow is up there, and what general trail conditions are like.

Trails are marked green but have heard people mention that there is not a lot of snow this year.

Also, anyone run the trails from Moonlight Beach out to Long lake and Panache? Good coverage or poor?

Thanks

MS

If the Cartier Moose Loop is any indication, I would say trails deserve green status with some thin spots. Might have more to say later regards other areas. (some darn steep hills in the area would need studs of some kind to let yourself down them slowly) 

We have a bit more snow coming early next week. Being local i can give you my thoughts. I have not been on all the trails mind you, and this is just my opinion.

Good trails: D104, NV500, C206 up east side of wolf mountain.(didn't go down the other side) Trail #83, C105, C111D, D almost to Garson, C/D is decent.

Not so good: #64 and C out of Rocky's, #56, C railbeds, #71 across the big lake.

Everyone's idea of great varies of course, kinda like buying a used sled. Above is based on the amount of rocks, sticks, logs, slag, etc i have run over using the above trails.:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

How have the clubs kept pace with the grooming?

This year is turning out to be quite unusual with lots of new sledders and one of the biggest areas that can absorb riders being closed (NB and parry sound) 

Our area in the blue mountains is completely overwhelmed with traffic. The clubs can’t keep up and the trails suffer terribly. 

Ms

Just over 200 miles between Yesterday and today. Friday the trails were fantastic. All freshly groomed. Today went D104 to Kates, then Warren and back home. Trails were still In good shape. Some rough spots, bare spots. Still lots of rocks in some areas. Met groomer on rail bed on way home. So they are out, and doing an excellent job keeping up with al the traffic. 

Was soo nice to sit in a restaurant again to eat.

20210220_210042.jpg

20210220_210653.jpg

20210220_210742.jpg

20210220_210804.jpg

20210220_210726.jpg

20210220_210710.jpg

Edited by Jason T
  • Like 5

Did 600kms between yesterday and today. Yesterday got cut short when buddy clipped a rock and bent left side control arms. Got it back to his place and couple new parts from Royal and we were back at it today. Stay away from the south side of Sudbury. Around Lively it was pretty short on snow. Overall could some snow but was quite good for what they have.

Also want to apologize to @soupkids for not contacting him while we were there. Got busy rebuilding my kids sled during the week, and then Friday night had to replace front a arms, and realized once we were on the trail yesterday that I hadn't got ahold of him 

Edited by Zertrider
Apologies
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Zertrider said:

Did 600kms between yesterday and today. Yesterday got cut short when buddy clipped a rock and bent left side control arms. Got it back to his place and couple new parts from Royal and we were back at it today. Stay away from the south side of Sudbury. Around Lively it was pretty short on snow. Overall could some snow but was quite good for what they have.

Also want to apologize to @soupkids for not contacting him while we were there. Got busy rebuilding my kids sled during the week, and then Friday night had to replace front a arms, and realized once we were on the trail yesterday that I hadn't got ahold of him 

No problem, next time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/20/2021 at 9:09 PM, Jason T said:

Just over 200 miles between Yesterday and today. Friday the trails were fantastic. All freshly groomed. Today went D104 to Kates, then Warren and back home. Trails were still In good shape. Some rough spots, bare spots. Still lots of rocks in some areas. Met groomer on rail bed on way home. So they are out, and doing an excellent job keeping up with al the traffic. 

Was soo nice to sit in a restaurant again to eat.

20210220_210042.jpg

20210220_210653.jpg

20210220_210742.jpg

20210220_210804.jpg

20210220_210726.jpg

20210220_210710.jpg

Our friends from Noelville love Kate’s they took us there last September the food was very good. Looks like you had a great ride !!

Edited by 1049

6 minutes ago, soupkids said:

No problem, next time

I should put you in touch with my friend up there who has no riding buddies. Doesn't get out often because of it.

2 minutes ago, Zertrider said:

I should put you in touch with my friend up there who has no riding buddies. Doesn't get out often because of it.

Go for it

• Like 1

Just comeback yesterday two days ride, trails I will tell 6 from 10. club makes good job, but it's difficult need more more more snow.  

20210221_102144.jpg

20210221_092513.jpg

20210221_101011.jpg

20210221_104455.jpg

Edited by andreyboater
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

Here and not blocked off LoL

IMG_20210227_165506393.jpg

Go for it!,Lol. I was there a couple years ago and my riding partner wanted to cross but I told him no way in hell that I was going over. There were bare spots that I could just imagine that the carbides would dig into and I would get stuck. And no guardrails!,

23 minutes ago, Johnny_5oh said:

Go for it!,Lol. I was there a couple years ago and my riding partner wanted to cross but I told him no way in hell that I was going over. There were bare spots that I could just imagine that the carbides would dig into and I would get stuck. And no guardrails!,

Yup   whenever we are in the area we cross it.   It's getting more sketchy though

• Thanks 1

V2 when l see pics of that bridge l compare it to the one closed to sleds  in Winterbourne that  is so much shorter has railings and is 10 feet above the water. Wondering what the township would do with this monster .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

Just crazy that there is no real barriers. Went across and real sketchy.  Last time we go across it      there is a wicked hole on the center. The skis just got thru  it.  

That bridge is condemned. STP researched getting an engineer to stamp it and add ity to the trail system. Estimated cost was over 200k ten years ago.

15 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

Just crazy that there is no real barriers. Went across and real sketchy.  Last time we go across it      there is a wicked hole on the center. The skis just got thru  it.  

I guess once you are committed, no turning back.....reversing may not be possible either.

15 hours ago, zoso said:

That bridge is condemned. STP researched getting an engineer to stamp it and add ity to the trail system. Estimated cost was over 200k ten years ago.

What is stopping "a person" from doing some repairs in the off season if people still want to use it at their own risk?

16 minutes ago, stoney said:

I guess once you are committed, no turning back.....reversing may not be possible either.

What is stopping "a person" from doing some repairs in the off season if people still want to use it at their own risk?

Nothing, we discussed it and others have done the odd fix on it. 

18 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

Rode across a couple times in the side by sides in the last couple years. Had lunch on it in fall 2019

20191026_125136_HDR.jpg

20191026_124540_HDR.jpg

We are planning to do a loop from Noelville up thru Warren, around L Wanapitea and Wolf Mtn loop on Tues/Wed. 

Everything looks green but wondering if anyone know any specific trails or areas which we should avoid, or interesting things we should go see?

Thanks. 

16 minutes ago, coolbane said:

Where is that railway bridge located? Is it still a snowmobile trail crossing it?

No. Trail routes around it. D trail west of Kukagami Lake Rd if it didn't turn off the old railbed would cross the bridge