Spring Order Ski-Doo & Ice Ripper XT 1.25" or 1.5"

stoney

I am tossing some things around in my head about what I will do or be on for the 2022 season and I have a few questions that I am sure some of the Doo riders on here could likely chime in on, they are:

• What are the normal (if there is normal) offerings from Doo on spring orders
    • I know usually graphics
    • How about warranty
    • How about discounts
    •  etc.....

• Any dealer recommendations to suggest
    • I live in Holland Landing, Quinn's Marina & Uxbridge Motorsports are likely the two closest to me, but I am not afraid to travel a bit to deal with a good & fair dealer

• For those that either have the 1.25" or 1.5" Ice Ripper, what can you share on the pro's and/or con's on either of these tracks that you have experienced
    • I am leaning towards the 1.5" as the last 10+ years I have not had anything less than a 1.5" track and no studs but do not want to dismiss the 1.25" either
    • I will not be adding any extra studs

I am thinking a 900T in the Renegade platform, either an X or X-RS and I will be buying the LinQ 1+1 seat system so my kiddo's can come with me on some rides.

Feedback is appreciated!

Pre-studded tracks are the way to go for sure.  I have a 1.25" ice ripper and love it.  Not quite as much bite as normal studs, but the difference is negligible.  From a longevity standpoint the only way to go.  My track has 15,000 km on it and still going strong.  I'm interested to hear opinion on 1.25" vs 1.5".  I can say I've thought some extra lug height would have been nice on those powder days.  That said how do the 1.5's holdup in hard packed conditions?  

I always recommend spring ordering.  You get what you want then. Both the X and XRS 900T are excellent choices. Ive had both as you know.  Usually spring ordering,  you select upgrading to either a ice ripper 1.25, or 1.5 free of charge,  but end up loosing a year warranty. I also take the free track upgrade,  and 3 year warranty. Order it with the stock 1.25 track,  sleds comes normally with 4 year warranty. I find the 1.25" ice ripper more then adequate for a majority of my riding

My 2015 1200, both my '18 and my '19 MXZ X 850s, and my 2020 Renny X 900T, and my 2021 Renny XRS 900T have the 1.25" ice ripper. Very very happy with that track. I know Fire242 yas the 1.5" ice ripper, and he likes that track iirc. I will never stud a sled,  ever again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As for dealers, we currently deal with Leatherdale Marine in Orillia. John and Baxter have treated us very well, but we may potentially try a dealer closer to us this spring for a spring order, just to change it up. Quinns is good, i don't like St.Onge in barrie. Nope, not for me..

Take into consideration, the new R Motion X rear suspension,  with the longer arms, requires heavier torsion springs if your a bigger guy. I've had to install heavier torsion springs in my '21 XRS 900T,  because the longer arms in the rear R Motion X suspension put more force on the springs. I had to upgrade in order to get proper initial sag etc. Lots of talk about on dootalk.com,  and also good info from acceleratedtechnologys.com...

I have 1.5 ice ripper on both sleds been good so far .Not big kms on either sled last years sled has 7000 kms and looks like new .My 2019 1.25 had 10000 and looked brand new 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, signfan said:

Pre-studded tracks are the way to go for sure.  I have a 1.25" ice ripper and love it.  Not quite as much bite as normal studs, but the difference is negligible.  From a longevity standpoint the only way to go.  My track has 15,000 km on it and still going strong.  I'm interested to hear opinion on 1.25" vs 1.5".  I can say I've thought some extra lug height would have been nice on those powder days.  That said how do the 1.5's holdup in hard packed conditions?  

I ran a 1.5 Cobra single ply for about 5 years, no studs and it worked great......it was the first sled that I decided to not run studs it worked so good.

48 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

I always recommend spring ordering.  You get what you want then. Both the X and XRS 900T are excellent choices. Ive had both as you know.  Usually spring ordering,  you select upgrading to either a ice ripper 1.25, or 1.5 free of charge,  but end up loosing a year warranty. I also take the free track upgrade,  and 3 year warranty. Order it with the stock 1.25 track,  sleds comes normally with 4 year warranty. I find the 1.25" ice ripper more then adequate for a majority of my riding

My 2015 1200, both my '18 and my '19 MXZ X 850s, and my 2020 Renny X 900T, and my 2021 Renny XRS 900T have the 1.25" ice ripper. Very very happy with that track. I know Fire242 yas the 1.5" ice ripper, and he likes that track iirc. I will never stud a sled,  ever again. 

To me loosing 1 year warranty would not be a huge deal at all.

I am hoping Fire242 chimes in on the 1.5 as I knew he had it on his new ride....as well as others.

46 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

As for dealers, we currently deal with Leatherdale Marine in Orillia. John and Baxter have treated us very well, but we may potentially try a dealer closer to us this spring for a spring order, just to change it up. Quinns is good, i don't like St.Onge in barrie. Nope, not for me..

Heard mixed reviews on Quinn's, but I am sure that can be the same for all dealers, cannot please everyone.

I have heard more bad than good about St Onge I am afraid.

It is too bad Machine is gone, they were real close and heard lots of good about them.

42 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Take into consideration, the new R Motion X rear suspension,  with the longer arms, requires heavier torsion springs if your a bigger guy. I've had to install heavier torsion springs in my '21 XRS 900T,  because the longer arms in the rear R Motion X suspension put more force on the springs. I had to upgrade in order to get proper initial sag etc. Lots of talk about on dootalk.com,  and also good info from acceleratedtechnologys.com...

Yes, I have done some reading on the new skid.

Which setting are you running your arms on - more or less transfer?

I also saw your post on the heavier springs on DooTalk, I am 190 lbs dry......so you have a few pounds on me :)

5 minutes ago, 1049 said:

I have 1.5 ice ripper on both sleds been good so far .Not big kms on either sled last years sled has 7000 kms and looks like new .My 2019 1.25 had 10000 and looked brand new 

How do you find the 1.5 on the lake running at higher speeds, big difference vs. the 1.25"?

10 minutes ago, stoney said:

I ran a 1.5 Cobra single ply for about 5 years, no studs and it worked great......it was the first sled that I decided to not run studs it worked so good.

To me loosing 1 year warranty would not be a huge deal at all.

I am hoping Fire242 chimes in on the 1.5 as I knew he had it on his new ride....as well as others.

Heard mixed reviews on Quinn's, but I am sure that can be the same for all dealers, cannot please everyone.

I have heard more bad than good about St Onge I am afraid.

It is too bad Machine is gone, they were real close and heard lots of good about them.

Yes, I have done some reading on the new skid.

Which setting are you running your arms on - more or less transfer?

I also saw your post on the heavier springs on DooTalk, I am 190 lbs dry......so you have a few pounds on me :)

You would need the heavier torsion springs then.  I am still on the less transfer setting,  which is the factory setting.  The sled pulls the skis enough.  

4 minutes ago, stoney said:

How do you find the 1.5 on the lake running at higher speeds, big difference vs. the 1.25"?

You can’t really tell the difference. I think you lose a little top end but not much . The last two winters in Quebec we had big storms the  1.5 has helped a little 

• Thanks 1

I put the 1.25 Ice Ripper on my 21 850XRS.    I had a 1.6 on my 19 and it killed the top end and I felt I had premature slider wear with it.  

I buy my machines from St Onge BUT I only deal at the dirt bike shop on George St.    FYI, the dirt bike shop is basically Machine Racing V2.0 as its the same guys from Machine working there.   If I didnt deal at St Onge, I would buy from Delta in Seaforth or Team Vincent Motorsports in Ayr.   

I'm quite impressed w/ the Ice Ripper on the Blizzard. The REV that I had previously had was studded. No issues w/ that set up. The track on it had 16,000 MILES when the motor went kabooie. The fact the Blizzard came w/ a pre-studded track is nice. Sled is 3 years old this month w/ over 11,000 klicks on it. So far I haven't thought that I should have the track studded.

It think track life is dependent on how you treat it (Ie no spinning it @ road crossings)

It's been years since I snow checked a sled, so I really can't add much on that front. I will say that you'll get what you want. That applied when I bought my MXZx 440 back in the day.

57 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

You would need the heavier torsion springs then.  I am still on the less transfer setting,  which is the factory setting.  The sled pulls the skis enough.  

Good to know, on both accounts. 

36 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I put the 1.25 Ice Ripper on my 21 850XRS.    I had a 1.6 on my 19 and it killed the top end and I felt I had premature slider wear with it.  

I buy my machines from St Onge BUT I only deal at the dirt bike shop on George St.    FYI, the dirt bike shop is basically Machine Racing V2.0 as its the same guys from Machine working there.   If I didnt deal at St Onge, I would buy from Delta in Seaforth or Team Vincent Motorsports in Ayr.   

I was not aware about the Machine crew. 

2 minutes ago, revrnd said:

I'm quite impressed w/ the Ice Ripper on the Blizzard. The REV that I had previously had was studded. No issues w/ that set up. The track on it had 16,000 MILES when the motor went kabooie. The fact the Blizzard came w/ a pre-studded track is nice. Sled is 3 years old this month w/ over 11,000 klicks on it. So far I haven't thought that I should have the track studded.

It think track life is dependent on house you treat it (Ie no spinning it @ road crossings)

It's been years since I snow checked a sled, so I really can't add much on that front. I will say that you'll get what you want. That applied when I bought my MXZx 440 back in the day.

Agreed, track life is a direct result of the person controlling the throttle. 

• Like 1

Stoney, I’m really loving this 900T. Lots of research and talks with TD before I jumped over to the 4 stroke side.

No regrets after the first 1100 kms. The 1.5IR track is very comparable to the 1.25 with aftermarket studs I had on my 850.

Everyone says you lose some top end but with the full pull across Couch last week I don’t see why you would want to go any faster. This sled is more predictable as to what it’s going to do in the corners. Could be the added weight in the front end and also the new suspension which is making it ride alot flatter out of the corners. The 850 could be twitchy out of the corners but that’s the way I had the suspension set and my riding style, not sure what it would be like with the new suspension. I’ve left the rear suspension at factory setting of less transfer. Skis are moved out to the widest setting, moved stock carbides to outside and 6” Woody Ace carbides down centre. Usually run Shaper Bars but trying Woodys version. I’ve got my rear suspension set on 3 for the torsion spring adjustment, that lets snow flap just touch snow which is norm with this new suspension according to what I’ve researched. Also original torsion springs from factory. I’m about 20 pounds lighter than you. Last 4 sleds have been XRS platforms. I like the shock adjustability, the wider running boards and the rack steering, comes in handy with the guys I usually ride with. Getting use to the throttle has been no issue and I run it in sport mode all the time expect for in and out of the trailer, where I use eco. Took the 4 year warranty option and paid extra for the track upgrade. 
Now to your question about which dealer to use. I’ve always used St.Onge. They don’t seem to be the most popular but they’ve always been great to me.

Sorry for the long response. Hope this helps you decide.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

we have two of the 1.6 inch ice rippers. I wouldnt want anything less. great for deeper snow and digging into the trail. I do miss the stopping ability of a track with studs but thats a trade off I dont have to worry in rocky terrain.

I would go with as much warranty as possible. Its better for resale.

Dont use Energy Powersports in Oakville. They are idiots. They really shouldnt even have sleds. ideallly you want someone close though

18 minutes ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

we have two of the 1.6 inch ice rippers. I wouldnt want anything less. great for deeper snow and digging into the trail. I do miss the stopping ability of a track with studs but thats a trade off I dont have to worry in rocky terrain.

Dont use Energy Powersports in Oakville. They are idiots. They really shouldnt even have sleds. ideallly you want someone close though

No issues with slider wear or lug tearing with the higher lug track?  How many km do you have on your tracks?

48 minutes ago, signfan said:

No issues with slider wear or lug tearing with the higher lug track?  How many km do you have on your tracks?

no not at all. one sled has 8000 km, one has 4700. both on original sliders. 

im not going to anything less than the 1.6  

I bought several sleds and gear off The Cove and felt they didn't appreciate my business. Ended up at St Onge, a little further but price was better and they treated me like I mattered.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FIRE242 said:

Stoney, I’m really loving this 900T. Lots of research and talks with TD before I jumped over to the 4 stroke side.

No regrets after the first 1100 kms. The 1.5IR track is very comparable to the 1.25 with aftermarket studs I had on my 850.

Everyone says you lose some top end but with the full pull across Couch last week I don’t see why you would want to go any faster. This sled is more predictable as to what it’s going to do in the corners. Could be the added weight in the front end and also the new suspension which is making it ride alot flatter out of the corners. The 850 could be twitchy out of the corners but that’s the way I had the suspension set and my riding style, not sure what it would be like with the new suspension. I’ve left the rear suspension at factory setting of less transfer. Skis are moved out to the widest setting, moved stock carbides to outside and 6” Woody Ace carbides down centre. Usually run Shaper Bars but trying Woodys version. I’ve got my rear suspension set on 3 for the torsion spring adjustment, that lets snow flap just touch snow which is norm with this new suspension according to what I’ve researched. Also original torsion springs from factory. I’m about 20 pounds lighter than you. Last 4 sleds have been XRS platforms. I like the shock adjustability, the wider running boards and the rack steering, comes in handy with the guys I usually ride with. Getting use to the throttle has been no issue and I run it in sport mode all the time expect for in and out of the trailer, where I use eco. Took the 4 year warranty option and paid extra for the track upgrade. 
Now to your question about which dealer to use. I’ve always used St.Onge. They don’t seem to be the most popular but they’ve always been great to me.

Sorry for the long response. Hope this helps you decide.

Thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated......in this case, more info or longer reply, is better!

I am not looking for crazy top end, 100 to 105 would be ideal when the need presents itself.

1 hour ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Ya, I think the best all around track that I have had to date was the 1.5 no doubt.

Last couple of sleds I have kept longer, so resale and warranty are not something that I think about, TBH.

1 minute ago, stoney said:

Ya, I think the best all around track that I have had to date was the 1.5 no doubt.

Last couple of sleds I have kept longer, so resale and warranty are not something that I think about, TBH.

no worries just my opinion. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oldslowsledder said:

I bought several sleds and gear off The Cove and felt they didn't appreciate my business. Ended up at St Onge, a little further but price was better and they treated me like I mattered.

See, for every bad opinion on a dealer, there are always good ones too.

Quinn's would be ideal, closest to me and where I usually ride, I drive right by them as well.