Crappy week

Turbo Tim

I got a unique birthday present last Sunday in the form of 9x5mm kidney store, needless to say it put a damper on my riding plans (and everything else) this past week. Had laser surgery this am, so hope to be out by the end of the week, forecast looks awesome this week so looking to put on some serious km's to make up for the lost time in the seat. As well last Sat had a close call with with my daughter as she hit a compression bump and was thrown from the sled, luckily it was in an area with not trees, just some tall grass. She was shaken up, and this was a good wake up call as to how dangerous sledding can be, even when you are not driving crazy fast. Had some cosmetic damage to the Cat, need a new windshield and a RH side panel for a 2017 ZR6000 if anyone has anything that they are looking to sell. 

Thx

• Sad 3

Turbo Tim, as much as life throws us some curve balls once in a while, the main thing is you and your daughter are ok, and can ride again. Glad your well on your way to recovery, and that your daughter was only shaken up. You are correct, sledding can be a dangerous sport, and we all should have that thought when riding. Best of luck, and enjoy your season

Edited by Turbo Doo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Turbo Doo said:

Turbo Tim, as much as life throws us some curve balls once in a while, the main thing is you and your daughter are ok, and can ride again. Glad your well on your way to recovery, and that your daughter was only shaken up. You are correct, sledding can be a dangerous sport, and we all should have that thought when riding. Best of luck, and enjoy your season

Glad to hear she's OK & get well quick!

Especially when up north. A minor issue 'down south' can be very problematic up north especially in the isolated stretches of trail.

When I blew up a sled east of Heyden about 15 years ago, a couple of my sledding buddies commented that I didn't seem to be all that upset about it. I told them it could've been worse. "How so?" "I could've blown it up between Hornepayne & D'ville."

• Like 1

I don't understand "Compression Bump"?

It sounds like you were on land?

2 hours ago, Ox said:

A hole/dip in the trail?

On 2/14/2021 at 8:53 PM, Turbo Tim said:

As well last Sat had a close call with with my daughter as she hit a compression bump and was thrown from the sled, luckily it was in an area with not trees, just some tall grass. She was shaken up, and this was a good wake up call as to how dangerous sledding can be, even when you are not driving crazy fast. 

Good weekend to be off the trails anyway. Lots of crazy. Have Video of  my friend getting hit by a Yamaha blowing the corner 1/2  hour into our ride. Broke some panels  bent his running board, luckily not seriously hurt. Ended our ride early. We will go during the week instead....

Edited by Jason T

3 hours ago, Ox said:

It was a big dip on the trail, right at dusk and it was snowing a bit, caught us both off guard. Sometimes the sunlight/clouds can give you a false sense of what is ahead of you

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jason T said:

Good weekend to be off the trails anyway. Lots of crazy. Have Video of  my friend getting hit by a Yamaha blowing the corner 1/2  hour into our ride. Broke some panels  bent his running board, luckily not seriously hurt. Ended our ride early. We will go during the week instead....

And someone flamed me for sharing a major collision involving 2 sleds in Quebec. Idgit said to keep the opinion to ourselves. Looking @ the carnage you couldn't think that speed or wrong side of the trail was the cause.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jason T said:

We were out Wed and Thu last week and still had a couple of close calls with idiots racing around the corner or over the crest of a hill either on the wrong side or in the middle. 

• Sad 2

20 hours ago, revrnd said:

And someone flamed me for sharing a major collision involving 2 sleds in Quebec. Idgit said to keep the opinion to ourselves. Looking @ the carnage you couldn't think that speed or wrong side of the trail was the cause.

Consider the idgit is just that... well maybe an arrogant entitled idgit 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/14/2021 at 8:53 PM, Turbo Tim said:

I got a unique birthday present last Sunday in the form of 9x5mm kidney store, needless to say it put a damper on my riding plans (and everything else) this past week. Had laser surgery this am, so hope to be out by the end of the week, forecast looks awesome this week so looking to put on some serious km's to make up for the lost time in the seat. As well last Sat had a close call with with my daughter as she hit a compression bump and was thrown from the sled, luckily it was in an area with not trees, just some tall grass. She was shaken up, and this was a good wake up call as to how dangerous sledding can be, even when you are not driving crazy fast. Had some cosmetic damage to the Cat, need a new windshield and a RH side panel for a 2017 ZR6000 if anyone has anything that they are looking to sell. 

Thx

Good size stone, one of mine was pretty much the same, I was 9 x 7 - 2nd one was around 5 mm, September 25th, 2020 - a morning I will never forget.

I have never experienced pain like that in my life - not from broken ankles, wrists, elbow, jaw, ribs, separated shoulder, nothing has ever come close to that feeling - and I hope I never have to feel it again. Glad you are on the right end of it.

Glad the Cat is only cosmetic and most importantly - you're daughter was not seriously injured - things can and will change pretty quickly.

another day I will never forget is a couple of years ago - riding with my father - came across another father son - son doing CPR on his deceased father off the side of the trail - a hard reminder how dangerous sledding can be when out for a casual sunday ride.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Good size stone, one of mine was pretty much the same, I was 9 x 7 - 2nd one was around 5 mm, September 25th, 2020 - a morning I will never forget.

I have never experienced pain like that in my life - not from broken ankles, wrists, elbow, jaw, ribs, separated shoulder, nothing has ever come close to that feeling - and I hope I never have to feel it again. Glad you are on the right end of it.

Glad the Cat is only cosmetic and most importantly - you're daughter was not seriously injured - things can and will change pretty quickly.

another day I will never forget is a couple of years ago - riding with my father - came across another father son - son doing CPR on his deceased father off the side of the trail - a hard reminder how dangerous sledding can be when out for a casual sunday ride.

Try a 25 mm stone.

Edited by soupkids
  • Sad 1

Sadly I have the wrong genetics as this is my 7th stone. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, it is brutal. A 25mm stone that sounds like trouble...lol my largest was 13mm. I had my first attack about 15 min before I was to board a plane home from Vegas, the first time is the worst because you really think you are going to die. Look up Ureteral stent as if the stone is not bad enough, now I have to deal with this.....ugh

I get stones every year, get them blasted and then a stint for a week.

Soooooooo much fun

On 2/15/2021 at 1:35 PM, Turbo Tim said:

It was a big dip on the trail, right at dusk and it was snowing a bit, caught us both off guard. Sometimes the sunlight/clouds can give you a false sense of what is ahead of you

Flat light sucks too. Any details ahead of you on the trail just disappear.

Ever try yellow tint shooter/safety glasses?

If you get the no-fog type, they help.

When I skied bumps, Vuarnet had a lens that just opened up your retinas, flat light was almost no issue. 

Probably saved my skinny neck 100 times.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 10:20 PM, revrnd said:

Glad to hear she's OK & get well quick!

Especially when up north. A minor issue 'down south' can be very problematic up north especially in the isolated stretches of trail.

When I blew up a sled east of Heyden about 15 years ago, a couple of my sledding buddies commented that I didn't seem to be all that upset about it. I told them it could've been worse. "How so?" "I could've blown it up between Hornepayne & D'ville."

My brother in laws 600 Renny  melted down about 50 km from D'ville, towed him in with my 800 Cat then towed him from there to Missinabi where the owner of Valentine's in Chaplaue  picked him up. His trip was over on day 2.5, ours continued for another 3 ending in New Liskeard

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, BoonerBP said:

My brother in laws 600 Renny  melted down about 50 km from D'ville, towed him in with my 800 Cat then towed him from there to Missinabi where the owner of Valentine's in Chaplaue  picked him up. His trip was over on day 2.5, ours continued for another 3 ending in New Liskeard

Our trip to Hell in '12 'went south' just north of D'ville'...

• Like 1

A 2 day haul to get my sled from Wawa to Timmins...

• Sad 1