Bridge Collapse - Downtown Minden

Turbo Burgo

Just a heads up... The snowmobile bridge that crosses the gull river in Minden collapsed this afternoon. It was fine this morning but was collapsed and barracaded on our return trip this evening. The reroute is a nasty scrape through the downtown. 

20210212_171854.jpg

• Sad 1

Probably 2 Yamaha's at the same time?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

If they didn’t use all that minus 30 ice melter side streets around town would be good to get around. In past bridge was never there and we go around town on side of road and was always ice and snow covered. Half of trail 4 use to run on side of road. Only trail in area you could or be passed by dump trucks. 

• Thanks 1

Damn we just crossed over that in the last 2 days or so too .. 

Not sure if we used the bridge to get thru Minden on our RAN tour in 2014 or not.

My dad once failed to realize how warn his carbides were and wore a hole thru his ski doing all the road running that used to be done around Minden. Was pretty funny seeing snow shoot out of his ski like how sea doos used to shoot water.

• Haha 1

Anyone have a pic of what the bridge 'normally' looks like?

10 hours ago, revrnd said:

Anyone have a pic of what the bridge 'normally' looks like?

The bridge "normally" looks exactly like the picture in this thread except for the barriers at either end and the "twist" at the far end of the bridge. It's a floating bridge, not a suspended bridge. The town owns it and in the spring they crane it over to the town side riverbank and it becomes the town dock! I rode it Monday and noticed it was listing to the right heading out of town, It is usually snow and ice build up that causes that but not this time. The town reports there is a leak in the flotation system and it should be repaired Tuesday.

Livin' 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@livin' on the b103 I thought it was floating so I couldn't see what the problem was. Thanks

Two guys working on it today

20210219_114010.jpg

I was in Minden today, not riding. Drove by and the barricades are gone. So it looks like good to go. Also noticed the old Rockcliffe Hotel has been sold, Some of you older ones probably have some interesting stories from this place. I know I do!

Livin'

4 hours ago, livin' on the b103 said:

I was in Minden today, not riding. Drove by and the barricades are gone. So it looks like good to go. Also noticed the old Rockcliffe Hotel has been sold, Some of you older ones probably have some interesting stories from this place. I know I do!

Livin'

I had seen the sold sign as well. Too young for the Rock life scene LOL. If we were in town in the summer Dad would head for the Dominion. If Mother wanted a drink then they'd go to the Rockcliffe. 

I remember after we sold the cottage & starting high school a couple of years later when 'I'm a Rockcliffe Beer Nut' or 'Rockcliffe University' T shirts were quite popular.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

I had seen the sold sign as well. Too young for the Rock life scene LOL. If we were in town in the summer Dad would head for the Dominion. If Mother wanted a drink then they'd go to the Rockcliffe. 

I remember after we sold the cottage & starting high school a couple of years later when 'I'm a Rockcliffe Beer Nut' or 'Rockcliffe University' T shirts were quite popular.

Think I still have mine somewhere!!

P7.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

Think I still have mine somewhere!!

P7.jpg

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt!! I'm pretty sure "I spent a week there one night" and don't have a shirt. Bigfish, you are the man! FYI everyone, shortly after I posted the floating bridge was good we received an email from the town it is indeed repaired.

Livin' 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, livin' on the b103 said:

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt!! I'm pretty sure "I spent a week there one night" and don't have a shirt. Bigfish, you are the man! FYI everyone, shortly after I posted the floating bridge was good we received an email from the town it is indeed repaired.

Livin' 

My man Lenny Brisko! :D