Throwback Thursday

revrnd

I'm surprised any of BRP's braintrust is old enough to remember this era of doo's graphics when they did the 2019 Blizzard.

20210204_103226.jpg.fc789bb083e8a46574320518d8dc7cd3.jpg

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

I'm surprised any of BRP's braintrust is old enough to remember this era of doo's graphics when they did the 2019 Blizzard.

Look at the tall handlebars - it's as if they could forecast stand up riding style - off trail......:)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, revrnd said:

I had one of those SS Elans. It was the twin with the twin carbs. Didn't let the dealer swap it back to single carb when they decided to do that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I had one of those SS Elans. It was the twin with the twin carbs. Didn't let the dealer swap it back to single carb when they decided to do that.

I had one as well. Single carb.Machine looked new from the dealer as a left over.$595.00

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

What was the reason for the 'detuning? I knew it had been done as I think the parts books of the day reflect this. I think the same 300 motor was used in the Elan 1 year. That would've been an interesting ride.

Only 1 I saw was in the early 80s & had been involved in a fatal on the Anstruther Lake Road. Newbie was put on it & lost control on a curve striking a tree.

Edited by revrnd
*detuning

Yep, I had one. 1975 Elan 300SS. It only had one carb. Slide rail skid jacked way up and it was fast for the day. Over 70mph on the gun when the windshield would collapse inward. Ah, life was so much simpler then haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Yep, I had one. 1975 Elan 300SS. It only had one carb. Slide rail skid jacked way up and it was fast for the day. Over 70mph on the gun when the windshield would collapse inward. Ah, life was so much simpler then haha

I'd forgotten about the windshield thing LOL. Must be going really fast now!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

What was the reason for the 'defining? I knew it had been done as I think the parts books of the day reflect this. I think the same 300 motor was used in the Elan 1 year. That would've been an interesting ride.

Only 1 I saw was in the early 80s & had been involved in a fatal on the Anstruther Lake Road. Newbie was put on it & lost control on a curve striking a tree.

Had a quite a bunch of them that the engine went down on. There were a few that worked pretty well and I was lucky enough to have one. My buddy had one that worked a little better than mine top end wise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Had a quite a bunch of them that the engine went down on. There were a few that worked pretty well and I was lucky enough to have one. My buddy had one that worked a little better than mine top end wise.

Did the Tillotsons that they used have a fixed high speed main jet? I seem to remember something from way back that Tillotson went to that design to prevent 'backyard' racers from 'adjusting' the high speed screw for more speed (& lean outs).

8 hours ago, revrnd said:

Did the Tillotsons that they used have a fixed high speed main jet? I seem to remember something from way back that Tillotson went to that design to prevent 'backyard' racers from 'adjusting' the high speed screw for more speed (& lean outs).

Wow, your memory is way better than mine. I'll remember it about 3 AM tomorrow possibly.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Wow, your memory is way better than mine. I'll remember it about 3 AM tomorrow possibly.

LOL Instead of the typical adjusting screw there was a brass pipe plug(?) in its place covering the main jet.

Dad's 78/79 Everest 440 has the same decals on it too, but never went "folded windshield fast".

89 MX would though, right around 130 kph. LoL, good times.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Crow said:

Dad's 78/79 Everest 440 has the same decals on it too, but never went "folded windshield fast".

89 MX would though, right around 130 kph. LoL, good times.

LOL!

I never had to worry about that until I got my '85 MX.

I didn't realize until I saw the 2019 Blizzard the other day that the tunnel is painted grey as well.

I think back in the day that was 'doo's attempt to hide the fact that the tunnels weren't aluminum.

I'll have to check to make sure, but I am fairly certain the Everest here is aluminum.

Should take a picture of it beside the brothers 19 Blizzard, but would have to do some rearranging.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

20210225_212601.thumb.jpg.4d4c6dd55b37aad0d60efdea22cc0f6f.jpg

• Like 1

This is the hood off the young lads Alpine. This club amalgamated with  2 or 3 others, making up the club next to us.

Wouldn't catch me doing 12 hour shift on that. It's still grooming though, just woodlot trails.

IMG_20210213_154821101.jpg

• Like 2