Ofsc reducing trails in southern D5

T bird

18 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Not sure what map you are speaking of. There is none of the Benmiller trail on the online map.

Trail in red is still there but now that I think of it that's not the one that went thru benmiller. Still need info on shack!was or is there one there?

Screenshot_20210202-223651_Samsung Internet.jpg

9 hours ago, -crz- said:

Not sure when you had this experience. The new drag is a mogul master and purchased new last year. Works much better than the previous old drag. 

It would have been 2 or 3 yrs ago now. Being pulled by a big Yamaha. Good to hear the new one works.

9 hours ago, -crz- said:

Edited by Zertrider
Double

On 2/2/2021 at 7:01 AM, tricky said:

Some friends plan a ride tomorrow in D9. They would like to avoid this area. Can you suggest where to stay away from?

North of Stratford is ok. No area’s like this. I think turbo is referring to trails that are now red on map. Yellow ones are ok. Have a good ride and report back. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/2/2021 at 7:01 AM, tricky said:

Some friends plan a ride tomorrow in D9. They would like to avoid this area. Can you suggest where to stay away from?

Sorry for the late response Tricky. The main trailsnorth of Mitchell are OK as of yesterday but very thin. Further west they got a lot more snow so as Eric said if you can ride in the Blyth Brussels and north of there you should be in good shape.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Sorry for the late response Tricky. The main trailsnorth of Mitchell are OK as of yesterday but very thin. Further west they got a lot more snow so as Eric said if you can ride in the Blyth Brussels and north of there you should be in good shape.

I was up that way today and, honestly, I'd say the trails are better below Brussels. There was a ton of riders in the Brussels to Blyth sections. There were fields that were brown from start to finish.

• Thanks 2

Walkerton ,Teeswater, Wingham ,only brown in a few tight bush trails and the odd corner today. Never saw another rider till early afternoon. Was on a solo information gathering exercise .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, coldfinger said:

Walkerton ,Teeswater, Wingham ,only brown in a few tight bush trails and the odd corner today. Never saw another rider till early afternoon. Was on a solo information gathering exercise .

We might have passed you at some point. We left from St Clements Clubhouse, through Linwood Listowel to Teviotdale to Fordwich and fueled up in Teeswater. Out to Lucknow, felt like the snow got thinner, definitely less grooming. Down through Blyth, Brussels. Heavy traffic for a Wednesday.  Once we got close to Monkton, the trails got better. Flatter and firmer.

Doesn't matter much where you go, the bush trails are thin. We just haven't been getting the snowfalls. The fields are good due to the drifting and grooming.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 8:38 PM, bbakernbay said:

Some major trails like TOP D south of Trout Lake have a considerable number of swamps and ponds that are very risky for industrial groomers to navigate. There needs to be some provision for smaller tracked vehicles to groom these very important trails and be reimbursed for grooming hours at some reduced rate and also for capital cost of purchase.

Isn't that what the thinking behind the Trooper was? More ground bearing area & lighter weight vs the tractors w/ 4 tracks.

I don't think you would have passed me   :wink:  :D . We may have crossed paths l  was as far south as Fordwich   which could have a few more direction signs at the  field intersections . No bad days when your out and about .

On 2/3/2021 at 7:58 AM, Strong Farmer said:

North of Stratford is ok. No area’s like this. I think turbo is referring to trails that are now red on map. Yellow ones are ok. Have a good ride and report back. 

On 2/3/2021 at 8:08 AM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

13 hours ago, coldfinger said:

13 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I was up that way today and, honestly, I'd say the trails are better below Brussels. There was a ton of riders in the Brussels to Blyth sections. There were fields that were brown from start to finish.

Thank you to all those above, Eric and others who have reported on D9 conditions this winter. I was serious when I said I was looking for info for non OC friends to help with their planned Wednesday ride. I have not been feeling well (not Covid 19) with age related physical discomfort, so was going to skip a ride. Then, by Tuesday afternoon, 3 out of 4 had bailed on my #1 riding buddy. I had to step in to save his ride. We had two locations in mind for or ride. We were leaving out of Mt Forest and we were having outdoor lunch with a non sledding friend in Kincardine. This ended up being our route: MF, Holstein, Ayton,Neustadt, Chesley, Eden Grove, Tiverton, Kincardine, Little Egypt, Teeswater(fuel), Mildmay, Neustadt and back to MF as we left. Great ride, given that in much of that route there weren' 4 inches of standing snow. Despite that the fields were very well groomed. Most snow we saw was in the Teeswater/Mildmay area. For sure there was snirt and even dirt(small patches) in some bush sections and along a couple of roads, but who's complaining - we are snowmobiling in southern Ontario in February. Kudos to the clubs, district and groomer operators. The next couple of weeks look good for our recreational pursuit. Get out thru the week if you can. We saw other sledders, but not many all day. Thanks again OCers for helping with our route.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yes up that way on Saturday. Not allot of snow any where’s really. Mine b trails especially b111 and b108 got major traffic on Saturday. Snow is close to same every where just gets thin south of milverton and west over to Stratford. Never ventured below seaforth but snow was ok there on Saturday too. Mitchell was getting thin. Good running north west of Mitchell on some of those club trails. 

17 minutes ago, tricky said:

Thank you to all those above, Eric and others who have reported on D9 conditions this winter. I was serious when I said I was looking for info for non OC friends to help with their planned Wednesday ride. I have not been feeling well (not Covid 19) with age related physical discomfort, so was going to skip a ride. Then, by Tuesday afternoon, 3 out of 4 had bailed on my #1 riding buddy. I had to step in to save his ride. We had two locations in mind for or ride. We were leaving out of Mt Forest and we were having outdoor lunch with a non sledding friend in Kincardine. This ended up being our route: MF, Holstein, Ayton,Neustadt, Chesley, Eden Grove, Tiverton, Kincardine, Little Egypt, Teeswater(fuel), Mildmay, Neustadt and back to MF as we left. Great ride, given that in much of that route there weren' 4 inches of standing snow. Despite that the fields were very well groomed. Most snow we saw was in the Teeswater/Mildmay area. For sure there was snirt and even dirt(small patches) in some bush sections and along a couple of roads, but who's complaining - we are snowmobiling in southern Ontario in February. Kudos to the clubs, district and groomer operators. The next couple of weeks look good for our recreational pursuit. Get out thru the week if you can. We saw other sledders, but not many all day. Thanks again OCers for helping with our route.

Glad you had a good ride. Milverton is good drop point, once they get another blast of snow. Good ride over to Mitchell and south to Exeter and north to seaforth over to listowel and back to milverton. 

• Thanks 1

Where did this thread go? Can't find it in the Main Clubhouse, the club area or anywhere.

Whoops, found it but can't edit my previous post.

2 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Its here....:poke2:

I was losing it! Now I've lost it. Next step - into the home!

23 hours ago, revrnd said:

Isn't that what the thinking behind the Trooper was? More ground bearing area & lighter weight vs the tractors w/ 4 tracks.

Exactly, were any of those ever purchased by Ontario Districts/Clubs although almost impossible with the industrial groomer mandate which doesn’t suit in all circumstances.

I still have nightmares about the SS-RSC sinking their BR on D trail on the return trip after turning around at Trout Lake and heading back south to Birch’s Road. 

Skandics or similar aren’t suitable for cutting the moguls on heavily moguled trails such as this which is almost continuous swamps and ponds.

• Like 1

Paudash had a Trooper (the grey Pisten Bully I think). It was.moved to another club for this season.

11 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Glad you had a good ride. Milverton is good drop point, once they get another blast of snow. Good ride over to Mitchell and south to Exeter and north to seaforth over to listowel and back to milverton. 

Hope to explore that area next week. Thanks for the tips.

For what its worth, the North Huron Trails Groomer is down and they are hoping to have it going by the weekend. That affects trails west and north of Seaforth and Clinton as well as west of Walton through Blyth to the coast and as far north as Lucknow. 

• Thanks 1