Beware of Hikers

Muskoka Bill

This has happened to me more than once.   Happens fairly regularly during motorcycle events when people dont realize they are hiking on a race course.  

I am surprised that more of these people dont get the sh-t kicked out of them?   

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, scottyr said:

This has happened to me more than once.   Happens fairly regularly during motorcycle events when people dont realize they are hiking on a race course.  

I am surprised that more of these people dont get the sh-t kicked out of them?   

Sounds hard to believe that one. Please tell us more.

If that was on the rail trail, it's multi use. Many hikers, dog walkers etc.

It's the autobahn for snowmobiles on a weekend. Would have been packed full of sleds.

Snowmobilers can be jerks, don't slow down, move over etc. 

Still, swinging a stick at somebody should result in that charge.

At 60 years old he should know better.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FROSTYNUTZ said:

Sounds hard to believe that one. Please tell us more.

I will @tricky chime in as well on this one but I have had seen some crazy people take a swing at a dirt bike rider during the Corduroy Enduro and the Terra Nova Enduro.   Not as uncommon as you may think in the offroad bike world.   We get permission to use the trails for 1 or 2 weekends a year and people dont realize that we have permission and start losing their sh-t that we are on "their" trails which are always really owned by a Forest Authority or the MNR. 

I had one instance where an old guy actually knocked a woman off her dirt bike and was waving a large branch like a lunatic.   It was at that moment he knew he f-cked up.   It was amazing watching him change his dimeanour when 5-6 husky boys came up to him and threatened to beat the crap out of him if he didnt get lost immediately.  

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I will @tricky chime in as well on this one but I have had seen some crazy people take a swing at a dirt bike rider during the Corduroy Enduro and the Terra Nova Enduro.   Not as uncommon as you may think in the offroad bike world.   We get permission to use the trails for 1 or 2 weekends a year and people dont realize that we have permission and start losing their sh-t that we are on "their" trails which are always really owned by a Forest Authority or the MNR. 

I had one instance where an old guy actually knocked a woman off her dirt bike and was waving a large branch like a lunatic.   It was at that moment he knew he f-cked up.   It was amazing watching him change his dimeanour when 5-6 husky boys came up to him and threatened to beat the crap out of him if he didnt get lost immediately.  

Scott, I can vouch for the two enduro situations and add that we know two land owners who were separately accosted by Bruce Trail hikers while riding their dirt bikes on their own property. One occurred in Niagara region and the other near Mono Centre. Luckily both men know how to handle themselves verbally and physically, and have a good sense of humour. Each had a little fun with the situation.

• Sad 1

Hasn't happened for a few years, but I did have a skier try to stab me with a pole, after I had slowed right down and waved as I passed them!:eek:

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Bigfish said:

Hasn't happened for a few years, but I did have a skier try to stab me with a pole, after I had slowed right down and waved as I passed them!:eek:

Ungrateful bastard!!! I had nothing but smiles and waves today, as I slowed right down for walkers, dog walkers and skiers on multi-use and OFSC trails in south western D4 today.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, tricky said:

Ungrateful bastard!!! I had nothing but smiles and waves today, as I slowed right down for walkers, dog walkers and skiers on multi-use and OFSC trails in south western D4 today.

Same thing for me 3 times on B109 this afternoon.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tricky said:

24 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Same for me pretty much always. I slow down to a crawl and move over as far as possible...just common sense. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Just slowing down to a crawl, giving them lots room and wave  will do the sport a great deal, maybe even catch on with the young'uns. Today I came across a fellow walking his dog from behind neither of them turned around as I approached with a nice quiet sled (he had ear buds in as it turned out) so I just crawled passed them to I didn't startle them, I felt good that I didn't scare him and I am sure they felt the same.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bigfish said:

Wow!

If the sled trails are closed in the forest south of you, is the CA going to start grooming the trails for the tree huggers?

I know someone posting in the past (Ottawa or Midland areas I think) about the people complaining about the lack of winter trail maintenance after the local snowmobile clubs were kicked off trails.

Be careful what you wish for.

3 hours ago, revrnd said:

people complaining about the lack of winter trail maintenance after the local snowmobile clubs were kicked off trails.

I think non sledders assume the municipality takes care of it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Poo Man said:

I think non sledders assume the municipality takes care of it. 

The roads departments are too busy plowing the roads to gravel @pt3189

2 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Yah, our gravel shoulders are usually sooo smooth in the winter from them plowing the gravel right off.  A bit of snow left on them never hurt anyone..

As @pt3189 said in a PM to me our roads dep't is doing their usual exceptional job here. You could count on both hands (no toes req'd) the number of pedestrians that use them. A far change from when the MTO maintained 504 and 620. 

I can't see how the municipalities in northern Ontario can leave snow on the roads whereas down here it has to be like July, yearround.

Many of the gravel roads in our area appear like they are getting some salt put on them as they are bare right to the grass in many areas.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, J Feces said:

Same for me pretty much always. I slow down to a crawl and move over as far as possible...just common sense. 

I do the same and virtually every time the people I am passing wave in an acknowledgement of appreciation. 

6 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I do the same and virtually every time the people I am passing wave in an acknowledgement of appreciation. 

I wish I could find the cartoon drawing of a person waving while wearing winter mitts.....but really it's a one finger salute.  LOL 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Blake G said:

I wish I could find the cartoon drawing of a person waving while wearing winter mitts.....but really it's a one finger salute.  LOL 

Bernie???

• Haha 2

Lots of walkers on E208 between Ptbo & Hastings. Neither of the XC skiers I saw attempted to stab me.

1 minute ago, revrnd said:

Lots of walkers on E208 between Ptbo & Hastings. Neither of the XC skiers I saw attempted to stab me.

Any mother daughter combos like my experience the other day?.  :ph34r:B)... I had to of course slow down, like really slow, you know, being courteous. It was a sun visor lifting slow ride by, and a nice wave..

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Any mother daughter combos like my experience the other day?.  :ph34r:B)... I had to of course slow down, like really slow, you know, being courteous. It was a sun visor lifting slow ride by, and a nice wave..

Not that I noticed. One girl walking a chocolate lab is lucky I didn't hit her. Scared the crap out of me. Riding west into the sun & then into the shadows of a cedar grove. The next thing I see is a girl grabbing her dog on the other side of the trail.

A couple of things I did notice today are 95% of the walkers wear black jackets. 5% of the walkers were wearing dark olive green jackets.

So much for the neon colours of the 90s...

Yes we must be courteous to hikers on trails, who knows they could be the land owner and you don't want to piss them off

• Like 1