helmets- Open+Goggles vs Full/Modular

volsla

hello sledders,

What type of helmet you prefer and why?

I do have modular; however, looking to get open face with goggles. i would like to read some opinions from the PROs before getting crazy and spend good chunk of money ))).

If you are looking for a open face with goggles take a look at the titan, you can get the standard goggles or heated. The titan goggles are made for the titan helmet so you get a nice tight fit with minimal air leaking past the goggle frame.
I can’t ride without a helmet that doesn’t have a heated visor or heated goggles, i must let off a lot of heat cause I’ll fog instantly, I’ve been using the titan since it came out in all temps even down into the -30’s*C without any problems. I prefer goggles any day over a shield. 

I have ran MX helmet and goggles for a while now, purchased 509 back then and still running the same set up.

With this set up everyone is different and you need to find what works for you.

I use a Klim Arctic balaclava and for really cold days, I will add a thin cotton balaclava under my Klim balaclava if I find my head getting cold.

I also taped off some of the vents on my goggle and my helmet years ago to control the air flow to suit what worked for me.

I am now thinking of buying the Mission helmet & going back to a full face, not sure yet though to be honest.

I have been wearing an open face with goggles since 2009. I have a 509 XL5 goggles with a 509 helmet, XL goggles have larger face foam to help seal the opening if you have a big head like me! I wear an Unwind balaclava under my helmet & tape a couple of the vents closed. I have worn this setup in -20 to -25 weather without issues, just make sure your goggles & bala cover all your skin. I learned the hard way in -20 weather & had a small piece of frostbite on my face where I didn't double check to make sure all my skin was covered. I find the helmet/goggle combo lighter & less restrictive. 

Mission in my opinion is one of the best helmets out there, I’ve tried a pile of different helmets over the past few years trying to find one I really liked and did everything well. 

My Polaris modular was colder and heavier - been wearing open face and goggles since 2010 and don' think I will go back ever again.

Definitely the Titan if you want open face. They are also nice and light. You can ride in all temperatures, this is my 4th year using it including some -35C Temps. Make sure you use the Klim Arctic balaclava in the cold Temps. My next helmet will be the Mission.

the hardest part about goggle open helmet is, getting the goggle to match fit your face, and the helmet eye opening. you will have a bunch of trial and error here. If you dont get it right you will have leaks, frosting, fogging, too much wind inside the goggle. currently we run 100% Racecraft goggles with dual pane vented lenses. they also make a snow goggle but, I dont like how thick the foam is, as it causes wind, frosting issues for me... Lynne LOVES the thicker foam so... again, lots of personal preference. running these, and the klim arctic (cold weather), and klim glacier (warm weather) balaclava's, we have zero fogging issues. the only issue you could have is in freezing rain, and then even heated shields and goggles, are all going to have some sort of issue.

I have been running an mx style helmet since 2001. i will plug all the vent holes on the helmet, with silicone, or plugs if the helmet comes with a "cold weather kit". I have run just about every helmet mfgr from sled specific to mx only. bell, hjc, fly, 509, troy lee designs, 6D. My favorite helmet is the troy lee helmets, they just fit well for me. the 6D is the new "concussion protecting" style of internal  protection. they are heavier, and have way too much venting for any cold, for me. I like the brain protection idea though. (fxr has a 6d made selection on their available helmet list). one thing I can tell you is, if you get a MIPS, or 6d, fly, type brain protection lid... buy the next size up. if you buy your normal size, they will be tight, to way too tight, and you might not be happy with your purchase, especially wearing a balaclava. My guess is, the mfgr's didnt increase the helmet size, to equip the helmets with the extra protection added by the concussion aids. 

i like having a few pairs of goggles on the sled, in the goggle warmer, or in the back pack, for changing light conditions, and if they get snow loaded from powder riding. My goto color is a blue lens, works well on cloudy days, as well as moderately sunny days. i carry a mirrored dark tinted lensed goggle for bluebird days. and I carry a clear lensed goggle for the the night ride home. 

Personally, I am not a fan of 509 gear. to me, it is a lot of marketing and hype, and you can get better performance for less money with other brand name gear. also, personally... not a fan of any open chin, modular set ups. it just isnt for me or my riding style, and I am not going to take a chance if a really need it, that the chin bar latch fails, leaving my face, chin, eyes open to catastrophic damage. 

In the end, it is work works for you, your face/head shape, budget, and needs/wants. good luck! Ski