Port Sydney pics

Muskoka Man

Things are starting to come together in the neighborhood 

20210128_100646.jpg

20210128_121815.jpg

20210128_123742.jpg

Screenshot_20210128-150259_Gaia GPS.jpg

• Like 11

Do you know if the Mary Lake crossing will be staked soon?

That looks amazing guys/gals, great work and THANK YOU for doing what you do.

If all goes well - Feb 10 - I will get a chance to ride and enjoy your hard work.

Cheers, 

52 minutes ago, gtowe said:

Do you know if the Mary Lake crossing will be staked soon?

I'm sure it will be .cold weather here now

I bypassed the lake crossing earlier this week, and took the land route. Rookie move. I forgot how much I hate the sound of bare pavement.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Blake G said:

I bypassed the lake crossing earlier this week, and took the land route. Rookie move. I forgot how much I hate the sound of bare pavement.

Depending on the recent weather, that run can be bad.

24 minutes ago, Blake G said:

One of the worst sounds ever - but still better than the sound of drowning....:).

Be safe guys.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, stoney said:

Depending on the recent weather, that run can be bad.

Just drove that stretch in the truck and does not look good sled wise, will be taking the lake crossing later this aft for sure.

The lake still has not been staked but is well beat down with sled tracks, as for the thickness of the ice ???????????????

23 minutes ago, zx7rr said:

Just drove that stretch in the truck and does not look good sled wise, will be taking the lake crossing later this aft for sure.

The lake still has not been staked but is well beat down with sled tracks, as for the thickness of the ice ???????????????

Well, you have to be going pretty slow for it to break under you - might not be great behind you - but for it to break under you - you're simply going WAY too slow......that's always been the way I have looked at it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spiderman said:

Well, you have to be going pretty slow for it to break under you - might not be great behind you - but for it to break under you - you're simply going WAY too slow......that's always been the way I have looked at it.

Interesting concept -  as having some familiarity with driving NWT ice roads the faster you went, the better chance you set up a standing wave on the ice which eventually led to collapse and immersion. These would be cars and trucks of course. If ice was marginal it would seem to make sense that a sled might not have the weight to create an ice wave, but static, might break through. It has been my observation that it is usually the second sled going into the water following the first - I could be corrected on that though.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

So jealous! I'm in the NB/PS district so I am forbidden to ride FFS.

I am also in that district, hopefully the idiot that shut this down will come to his senses and WTFU and reopen it. I doubt this will happen because experts rarely contradict themselves.  LMFAO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slomo said:

Interesting concept -  as having some familiarity with driving NWT ice roads the faster you went, the better chance you set up a standing wave on the ice which eventually led to collapse and immersion. These would be cars and trucks of course. If ice was marginal it would seem to make sense that a sled might not have the weight to create an ice wave, but static, might break through. It has been my observation that it is usually the second sled going into the water following the first - I could be corrected on that though.

Yes, I am familiar with the wave scenario, but in my 30 + years of sledding - I have never once seen or heard of that happening with a sled.

I don't know about you guys, but when I am on the lake, the fun flipper is down, I would be shocked to ever have ice break beneath me unless it's where I am getting on and off.

I also never follow directly behind anyone either, even if it's a track width outside, I like to carve my own trail so to speak.

• Like 2

Was across mary lake last weekend...lots of ice in my simple  estimation....and a couple of holes in my bay.. also saw tracks on Mary going to the north end of the lake. 

Only bad part was some frozen slushie sections...

23 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

So jealous! I'm in the NB/PS district so I am forbidden to ride FFS.

I’m not sure if your aware, but you know you can trailer right? 

Did some more 80 series and then to baysville on sat .all trails were in great shape,came back home trail 55 by  Fords cottage on fawn lake

20210130_123240.jpg

)

20210130_093919.jpg

20210130_112624.jpg

20210130_125311.jpg

Edited by Muskoka Man
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, stoney said:

Is this the famous cottage of our fearless leader....

20210130_123240.jpg

You blow a corner....

That is Doug Fords spot on fawn lake .I did not blow a corner .the sled was going off trail on a straight section .it was in the water overnight and it was -26 .looks good on him 

6 minutes ago, Muskoka Man said:

That is Doug Fords spot on fawn lake .I did not blow a corner .the sled was going off trail on a straight section .it was in the water overnight and it was -26 .looks good on him 

Oh boy, that will  be a tough one to get out.....should not have left it overnight!

1 hour ago, stoney said:

Oh boy, that will  be a tough one to get out.....should not have left it overnight!

Same old same old ,that’s the price pay for going off trail ,nothing new in the muskokas, playing hooky and riding first thing in the morn when it’s quiet 

• Like 2

On 1/29/2021 at 4:44 PM, Spiderman said:

Yes, I am familiar with the wave scenario, but in my 30 + years of sledding - I have never once seen or heard of that happening with a sled.

I don't know about you guys, but when I am on the lake, the fun flipper is down, I would be shocked to ever have ice break beneath me unless it's where I am getting on and off.

I also never follow directly behind anyone either, even if it's a track width outside, I like to carve my own trail so to speak.

I am not sure if the wave hitting the end of the lake and bouncing back to break ice applies but years ago on a small lake out by Temiscaming we were ice fishing and one of the guys went a few hundred metres over to try another spot.  Auger broke through very thin ice.  We watched as he slowly drove his sled back towards us and the 6” we were standing on. There was a wave in front as we were all talking about it and watching.   Wave dissipated as ice got thicker towards us.

its really no different then leaving a fish hut out on the ice early in year.  Or when snow drifts around a fish hut and water comes on top of ice around hut.   Weight of hut sinks ice down. Similarly weight of sled sinks ice down.  

On 1/29/2021 at 8:34 PM, capster59 said:

Was across mary lake last weekend...lots of ice in my simple  estimation....and a couple of holes in my bay.. also saw tracks on Mary going to the north end of the lake. 

Only bad part was some frozen slushie sections...

Mary lake was perfect when we ran across it. No issues at al.

21 hours ago, Muskoka Man said:

Did some more 80 series and then to baysville on sat .all trails were in great shape,came back home trail 55 by  Fords cottage on fawn lake

20210130_123240.jpg

)

20210130_093919.jpg

20210130_112624.jpg

20210130_125311.jpg

Saw that cat on Saturday................I was glad i wasnt the one liftng that out of the ice.

1 hour ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Oh and trail south of Dorset just went yellow but man i hit every rock in the area I think. Was pretty bad. That area needs snow

Which trails is it that went Yellow?