Orillia to Midland/Wasaga

Turbo Tim

Thinking about heading up this weekend, looks like they got good snow again today. Since I started riding 3 years ago, I don't even think many of the trails were even open much so I have never been up that way. Any suggestions on the best routes/areas to avoid?

We rode Orillia to Wasaga beach, then over to Singhampton for lunch on Sunday. 

We took the B112 to the B both ways as we ran out of time toop up to midland and back. 

Leaving Orillia we rode freshly groomed for 30km of rail line, then the punishment began. It was very VERY rough. Almost unbearable. Totally whooped out and not a smooth line in sight. 

303km round trip. Never again on a weekend. 

Even though we passed 3 groomers on Sunday it really didn't help much. The clubs are definitely putting in a lot of time and effort but just can't keep up with the traffic and lack of snow to work with. 

Thanks to Blake for the great info on this area, we rode the loop from Orillia to Midland and back down. Overall really good shape except the B close to Orillia was beat to a pulp. First time up that way and it was a really nice ride, especially liked driving in and around Midland, some nice trails and views of the bay. Unfortunately we came across an accident today on the B, NW of Orillia, they were loading someone into the ambulance so hopefully they are not too badly hurt, the sled had some pretty good front end damage. I have an 1100 Turbo and it is tuned, just an Eco trail, but it was gutless after 80km/hr, got home and checked it and the charge tube had disconnected, I knew something was up as my arms were not getting pulled out of the sockets. My daughter was behind me crossing Lake Couchiching, and was complaining why I was going so slow, maybe have to go back and stretch out the arms a bit....

A2D5C309-1E04-45F4-BE7A-94868CCB5B89.jpeg

DBD31EF0-62B3-4FA2-847D-D70ADCBA09F3.jpeg

C77EDFC3-690E-4692-85D7-D1C81ED32079.jpeg

Edited by Turbo Tim
  • Like 3

My daughter made a video of the day, turned out pretty cool, the digital speedo was a generic add on she grabbed off the net, she wasn’t doing 120mph lol. 

Edited by Turbo Tim
  • Like 8

Chip off the ol' block as they say....nice to have riding partner with your kid, she loves getting out, too bad with all the restrictions this year as we have met so many great people and seen a lot of cool places, she really enjoys that part of sledding. We met this couple last year at the Mica mine heading towards Mattawa, then we saw them at the Tim Hortons, and we sat and chatted with them and had a great time. Little life experiences that mean a lot when you look back at them

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Turbo Tim said:

Chip off the ol' block as they say....nice to have riding partner with your kid, she loves getting out, too bad with all the restrictions this year as we have met so many great people and seen a lot of cool places, she really enjoys that part of sledding. We met this couple last year at the Mica mine heading towards Mattawa, then we saw them at the Tim Hortons, and we sat and chatted with them and had a great time. Little life experiences that mean a lot when you look back at them

Sure do!

50 minutes ago, Turbo Tim said:

Thats what its all about. Me and OC Member 14Snow, always say, 'Making Memories '......

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Turbo Tim said:

My daughter made a video of the day, turned out pretty cool, the digital speedo was a generic add on she grabbed off the net, she wasn’t doing 120mph lol. 

Great video Tim. The lake running on Couchiching looks amazing. Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 5:46 PM, Turbo Tim said:

Nice shots of you riding on the Calverly farm. That is just North and across the concession to the east of my property. You had to drive right past my driveway to get there. Sure looked like a beauty day!!!

• Like 2

Yeah great day for riding, my daughter had a PA day today, so we did the same loop after work for a night ride, the C was a mogul fest north of Elmvale, otherwise pretty decent conditions. Lesson learned never ride on a Monday before the groomers get a chance to get out

Edited by Turbo Tim