Haliburton Lake

Fergie

I see that Haliburton Lake is still red.

Is this due to the closures between PHU's, or is the lake not safe yet?

I don’t imagine it’s staked yet

On 1/26/2021 at 6:03 PM, Sksman said:

Half yellow this morning.

Nope. The trail leading to the lake is yellow. The lake itself is still red.

1 hour ago, infernobuster said:

Nope. The trail leading to the lake is yellow. The lake itself is still red.

It was yellow to the island before.   I thought it would be weird to stake half a lake.  

Any updates on this section? I haven’t been over to see it for myself but would think it would be well travelled now? Any reason it won’t be staked this winter? Not a connecting trail between health units...thanks. 

Drove up to have a look at Hali lake on Friday. No stakes as of then, I have said it before, if that lake is not staked... DON'T GO. It is too bad we lost the way in through Moose and Eagle, they are long frozen safe. Hali Lake is unsafe and unpredictable in cold years, it just got into the minus 20's here the last few days, should set up soon. There is no issue with PHU boundaries, that problem is where HCSA, Maple Leaf, and Opeongo meet (Whitney) and where Paudash and Maple Leaf meet south of Lake St Peter.

Livin' 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, livin' on the b103 said:

Drove up to have a look at Hali lake on Friday. No stakes as of then, I have said it before, if that lake is not staked... DON'T GO. It is too bad we lost the way in through Moose and Eagle, they are long frozen safe. Hali Lake is unsafe and unpredictable in cold years, it just got into the minus 20's here the last few days, should set up soon. There is no issue with PHU boundaries, that problem is where HCSA, Maple Leaf, and Opeongo meet (Whitney) and where Paudash and Maple Leaf meet south of Lake St Peter.

Livin' 

FWIW, Kennissis, Redstone firmed up pretty good as of today ( Feb 1 ) A little slush in the middle of Big Hawk and down at the Marina end of Kennissis, nothing major. Hopefully Haliburton Lake will come in soon.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cuyuna said:

FWIW, Kennissis, Redstone firmed up pretty good as of today ( Feb 1 ) A little slush in the middle of Big Hawk and down at the Marina end of Kennissis, nothing major. Hopefully Haliburton Lake will come in soon.

Yes tons of sleds out  on Kennisis and redstone all weekend

• Like 1

18 hours ago, livin' on the b103 said:

Drove up to have a look at Hali lake on Friday. No stakes as of then, I have said it before, if that lake is not staked... DON'T GO. It is too bad we lost the way in through Moose and Eagle, they are long frozen safe. 

What happened to losing the trail through Moose and Eagle?  Landowner?

PIA to go all the way around now

2 hours ago, stonehaven said:

What happened to losing the trail through Moose and Eagle?  Landowner?

PIA to go all the way around now

Camp Northland, whose property the trail ran through to Haliburton Lake Rd., had issues with the OFSC insurance policy for landowners. They pulled the land use agreement until there were improvements made to the policy, and here we are...

Same situation existed at Camp Towhee ( B Trail near West Guilford ) The trail was almost closed until they found that B trail was old "Legacy" trail and belonged to the County. It was a "close" call.

• Like 1

I was on Baptiste on the weekend.  It was well travelled and in good shape.

Fingers crossed that Haliburton Lake opens by next weekend.  I am hoping to ride through the park on Friday or Saturday.

• Like 1

Any updates on Haliburton Lake.  Stakes or no stakes.  Is this another covid issue as to why it might not be getting staked??

13 minutes ago, Proxrider said:

Any updates on Haliburton Lake.  Stakes or no stakes.  Is this another covid issue as to why it might not be getting staked??

Ice is 2 weeks behind other years.  Not a covid issue.  Have some patience.  Many of the lakes that are late to freeze each year are still not safe with only a cpl inches of ice on them.  

1 hour ago, signfan said:

Ice is 2 weeks behind other years.  Not a covid issue.  Have some patience.  Many of the lakes that are late to freeze each year are still not safe with only a cpl inches of ice on them.  

Stay tuned it's close, keep an eye on the ITG

1 hour ago, Spudman said:

Ran it on Tuesday. Main track was beat down like the 401. Was open through the narrows on south end. More sketchy on west side of islands. Lots of fish huts out.

Guys were out fishing there 3 weeks ago.  

West side of islands is always open I thought.   Even in good old cold years I remember crossing open water there.

Edited by Sksman
Correction

It's staked. Still riding, check in later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Checked this out earlier today and it is indeed staked, did not ride it as it was not part of our loop we were riding today. Met a couple of riders at the B and B to Hali lake and they said they just rode it. We went up and checked it from the the south and it is staked, only did a visual for our ride tomorrow. Still shows red in the ITG for some reason. Now for a bonus 3 day ride report. Wednesday, trailered to Poverty Hill on the Whitney run and rode North as far as allowed. The problem washout up top was mint as was the rest of the trail. We ran south to Boyce Bradley Rd and was mint as well. Thursday, trailered to Wilberforce and rode South through Paudash, Twin Mountians, Kawartha and back home. All trails were very good with little traffic. The rail trail North of the 108 to Burnt River was pure dirt. After that was ridable.  Got home and picked up the other truck to get the tow rig and trailer. Friday, up the rail trail to the 9 and across. Was groomed yesterday, or had a groomer drive over it. Trail was rough for no good reason, lots of snow and no traffic. Headed North through Paudash, Wilberforce is doing outdoor dining as is Harcourt. Stopped at the E and 601. Good running all the way, the E and B in HCSA land were terrible and have been all season, be prepared to take your beating to get to the Whitney run. Even the ditches and swamp into Hali were better. Ran the 7 down to Pinestone and the rail trail back home, all good. More snow last night and today should make for a nice weekend. Hope ride reports are still allowed. Sorry no covid or politics in this one!

Livin' 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Any updates on B and E over to Haliburton Lake?