Apsley Area 2021 Season

revrnd

E107 is in fairly decent shape.

WARNING!

There is no reason to ride on the 'wrong' side of McFadden Rd. The snow is sufficient on both sides. This afternoon in my truck I was eastbound going up the hill by the E107/SLSR #747 intersection and had a westbound sled come over the blind hill on my side of the road. Luckily I was able to stop, otherwise the outcome could've been very bad.

I had seen the two sleds filling up a few minutes earlier in the village. Black/yellow and black orange pre-2018 XS chassis ‘doos. If these sledders sound like someone you know, tell them how lucky they are.

Heads up for westbound riders on SLSR #747 along McFaddens Road. The driveway in the photo has a very high snowpile beside it. As a result the owners have to pull out into the lane before they can see any oncoming traffic.

392482465_ApsleyTrailsScreengrab.JPG.7259ec689cc74d5514bc7e66bd6d79e5.JPG

20210124_140315.thumb.jpg.15a5817a59ece1ce8f03eec62197fdb0.jpg

The snowbank gets higher as the season progresses.

New trail, SLSR #750 into the Sandman/Apsley Inn from E107. Intersection is about halfway between McKay Lake Rd and Highway 28. Snow cover is a bit thin in one section as some of it was bulldozed since the start of winter.

May be an image of map

Looking south on E107 towards intersection. New trail is on left here:

May be an image of nature, snow and tree

Looking east on 730 from E107.

May be an image of nature and snow

Chandos was staked this week.

image.png.edbeefac9a985347388e250d856dc571.png

Now that Chandos is staked, be aware if you're southbound heading to the Gilmour Bay narrows.  There is a boat lift on the west shore right where the lake narrows in. No reflective tape on it that I could see making it a nasty hazard in the dark or when visibility is poor.

We staked Mississauga Lake today and did heavy brushing along the 503. Still lots more brushing to be done. Keep an eye on the ITG.

Note. Careful at the east end of Mississauga Lake. Lots of snow covered rock where you exit the lake due to low water levels.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, yamadan700 said:

We staked Mississauga Lake today and did heavy brushing along the 503. Still lots more brushing to be done. Keep an eye on the ITG.

Note. Careful at the east end of Mississauga Lake. Lots of snow covered rock where you exit the lake due to low water levels.

I had seen tracks @ the east end of 503 @ E107.

That part of Miss' is kind of sketchy @ the best of times. I've seen drifts cover over thin ice there.

Back in the 70s that was an all day trip over to Trappers Inn & back. I think I did it 1 way a few years ago in 45 minutes & then headed on to the 5 Points area to play around.

503 has been open for a bit now from E107 to the lake. Trail was getting narrow in some spots due to the bush overgrowth. Remedied some of that today. We only got about halfway to the E107 from the Buckhorn side.

Trail was in decent shape to where we turned around.

It is a good trail. Has a bit of everything. Lake, bush, cottage roads, etc. However it's always a bit rough from the lake to Hwy 507. Only about 1km tho. Can't get a big groomer through there. 

Back in the 70's, I believe you were wrenching as much as you were riding ..lol.. Bit before my time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2021 at 5:15 PM, yamadan700 said:

On 2/11/2021 at 7:33 PM, yamadan700 said:

503 has been open for a bit now from E107 to the lake. Trail was getting narrow in some spots due to the bush overgrowth. Remedied some of that today. We only got about halfway to the E107 from the Buckhorn side.

Trail was in decent shape to where we turned around.

It is a good trail. Has a bit of everything. Lake, bush, cottage roads, etc. However it's always a bit rough from the lake to Hwy 507. Only about 1km tho. Can't get a big groomer through there. 

Back in the 70's, I believe you were wrenching as much as you were riding ..lol.. Bit before my time.

yamadan700 Thank You for posting this local report!! We were looking for a loop from our place that we hadn't ridden a thousand times, and with the lake being staked and the 503 open we decided to go for it. Left Kinmount and headed South to we could do our loop counter clockwise. All trails were excellent to mint and we had one of the best rides of this season. This is a very doable loop at 200 plus km's. We will do this again. We did return to the Rail Trail using the 9 trail and it sucked (rough, ungroomed) but it was only 20k and was not expected to match the rest of our ride.

Livin'

• Like 2

On 2/15/2021 at 8:46 AM, livin' on the b103 said:

yamadan700 Thank You for posting this local report!! We were looking for a loop from our place that we hadn't ridden a thousand times, and with the lake being staked and the 503 open we decided to go for it. Left Kinmount and headed South to we could do our loop counter clockwise. All trails were excellent to mint and we had one of the best rides of this season. This is a very doable loop at 200 plus km's. We will do this again. We did return to the Rail Trail using the 9 trail and it sucked (rough, ungroomed) but it was only 20k and was not expected to match the rest of our ride.

Livin'

Always appreciate your local reports too.:right_on:

If you're running the stake line (especially @ night or during low visibility), be aware of this boat lift on the north side of the Gilmour narrows. Nothing reflective on it

20210218_164109.thumb.jpg.b2bc4ca92f104f8245b5c372be29696d.jpg

Nothing to speak of slush-wise if you run the line. I did see some where guys had broke trail.

No slush on Tallan Lake either. On a bonus note the swimming platform wasn't left in over winter on Tallan to be a night time hazard.