Police check in Kearney

KearneyCookhouse

Whatever any one does I hope they are considerate to officers who are doing there job.

If the officers are instructed to be sitting there checking cars or looking for sleds that’s what they must do.  The officers may not agree with the policy or their duty for the day but have to do the job they are instructed to do.

I, like others wish there was more enforcement for trail passes, closed trails and off trail riding but being realistic are OPP going to sit in bushes around every farmers field and try to catch the few?

And if you are one of the lucky ones to get a ticket riding a sled in Kearney or on closed section whose fault is it?

Hi everyone.  As a rider from the GTA it's pretty depressing to see many trails  open up. I totally understand the government restricting movement and the policy of the OFSC to ride in your own area. BUT is this really happening? We have no local trails here in our area. If the lockdown continues the OFSC should refund each permit holder who resides in the Gta the full amount of their permit.  Ive tried to get some info from them on this to no avail. I am reluctant to head north for the day but worry about the risk of potential fines. Has any body heard of people getting ticketed of turned back by local law enforcement? Its really difficult to watch public officials , NHL hockey players and the alike bend the rules and have special exemptions for travel with no reprecussions when an issue arises. We enjoy travellening north. We contribute to the local economies where we ride. I dont think coming up to ride for the day is a health risk if it's done following the guidelines.  Your thoughts are welcome. Thanks1

• Like 3

Thanks for your post. Welcome aboard.

No first hand experience with trails open to some, not others. 

57 minutes ago, Nytro said:

Hi everyone.  As a rider from the GTA it's pretty depressing to see many trails  open up. I totally understand the government restricting movement and the policy of the OFSC to ride in your own area. BUT is this really happening? We have no local trails here in our area. If the lockdown continues the OFSC should refund each permit holder who resides in the Gta the full amount of their permit.  Ive tried to get some info from them on this to no avail. I am reluctant to head north for the day but worry about the risk of potential fines. Has any body heard of people getting ticketed of turned back by local law enforcement? Its really difficult to watch public officials , NHL hockey players and the alike bend the rules and have special exemptions for travel with no reprecussions when an issue arises. We enjoy travellening north. We contribute to the local economies where we ride. I dont think coming up to ride for the day is a health risk if it's done following the guidelines.  Your thoughts are welcome. Thanks1

I heard they were turning back trucks with trailers at the info center in Emsdale at the Kearney exit. I did not witness this personally, but was told by very reliable source. Also, OPP patrols in Kearney as well 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nytro said:

Don't feel slighted, locals can't ride either...and it's not their fault.

Ever since the rona, my township has told people to pick one home and stay there. 

I'd feel worse if others weren't taking it up the hopper worse.

I do allot of work at the Beaver Valley ski club.

Private club, members only, still closed.

Gyms closed, except if you're headed to the olympics...which ain't gonna happen IMO.

There is no rhyme nor reason to some of the rules.

41LZvz4vqxL._AC_.jpg

Edited by vooodooo

1 hour ago, Nytro said:

Your thoughts are welcome. Thanks1

If I was you I would travel anywhere but north bay/parry sound and enjoy the day. 

Edited by Poo Man
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nytro said:

It is not full on nazi Canada as of yet, so load up the sled and go north for a ride just avoid the Parry Sound/ North Bay PHU. 

57 minutes ago, Giddy UP said:

I heard they were turning back trucks with trailers at the info center in Emsdale at the Kearney exit. I did not witness this personally, but was told by very reliable source. Also, OPP patrols in Kearney as well 

I was coming south on 400 yesterday around 5 pm and lots of rigs were heading north, not sure where they were going but they were going somewhere. 

They were headed to the Parry Sound cross country club. Apparently that doesn’t spread Covid. Drove past 2 days ago and 50 cars in the lot and dozens of people mingling around in front of the clubhouse! They must have been from the same household....yeah that’s it. What a farce. 

• Confused 1

That would of made the news LOL 

Edited by WinderFab

Lots of trailers today at smith gas station in port Sydney 

4 hours ago, WinderFab said:

I was coming south on 400 yesterday around 5 pm and lots of rigs were heading north, not sure where they were going but they were going somewhere. 

I am going to my water access second property that requires a snowmobile to get to, I will be there for 14 days, thanks for your hard work keeping us safe, have a nice day officer......

• Like 3

21 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Yes more presence during regular riding would be nice. Putting this much presence out there now makes me think it’s a quick cash grab. If the OPP has this much time available now then why do we see so little of them when trails are open? 

20 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

My point exactly

1 st weekend trails are open in Listowel area.  Ride into town, and the cops are checking permits by the water tower.  They had one guy stopped, I got off to reach for my wallet, and insurance.  He said nope, just checking permits, have a good day.  Guy he had stopped had no permit, and was reaching for his wallet when I left.

Good to see.  Lots of people out today.  Group we met couple hundred feet down the trail from this stop, one of them didnt have a visible permit on his sled either.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dave K said:

1 st weekend trails are open in Listowel area.  Ride into town, and the cops are checking permits by the water tower.  They had one guy stopped, I got off to reach for my wallet, and insurance.  He said nope, just checking permits, have a good day.  Guy he had stopped had no permit, and was reaching for his wallet when I left.

Good to see.  Lots of people out today.  Group we met couple hundred feet down the trail from this stop, one of them didnt have a visible permit on his sled either.

Good, hope they fine the crap out of him! 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, zoso said:

I am going to my water access second property that requires a snowmobile to get to, I will be there for 14 days, thanks for your hard work keeping us safe, have a nice day officer......

That works for me.. I was just saying that I seen lots of trucks and trailers heading north last night. 

If you are on a open ofsc trail being yellow or green and happen to come across a opp checking point they will not ask you where you are from and so on.  Yesterday I ran into a opp officer in coldwater while getting fuel, all was good. 

What PS and NB did wasn’t called for but it’s just another hurdle us sledders have to deal with. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, zoso said:

...and I have to shovel the roof off..cheers. 

• Like 2

We were out yesterday staking a lake a doing some signs, come to the clubhouse to get some pickets, 5 sleds sitting there.

New sleds, 2 had visible permits, 2 had them in their pocket, 1 didnt have one at all

I lost my crap on the guy with no permit, I was going to take a pic of his reg. numbers, but he didnt even have that. I had to walk away

Bring on the OPP

• Thanks 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, Giddy UP said:

If guys where going and parking there, at the Emsdale Info Center,  since the trail shut down, then yes, they should be turned around. If they were on Hwy 11 being turned around, i call BS....

• Like 2

12 hours ago, coldfinger said:

For sure that line  will fool the popo . If it's their first day.

what can they do? they are not even supposed to be asking in the first place. It seems to me that staying in your own health unit area is a sugestion only, travel is allowed.

21 hours ago, Poo Man said:

If I was you I would travel anywhere but north bay/parry sound and enjoy the day. 

But my cottage is near Sundridge