Police check in Kearney

KearneyCookhouse

Just came back from picking up prescription in Huntsville, took the back way in at the Novar exit.  got pulled over by a ride check on rochester lake road, 2 officers, 2 cars.  first thing they asked was were we coming from southern Ontario and where were we heading too.  Did we have a home residence in Kearney they asked us twice when we said we had just been to Huntsville and were coming back.  Very polite, didnt ask for documentation, sent us on our way.  Thinking it might have been a different experience if we had a sled trailer behind.

• Thanks 1

Should have told them you just came from Haiti!

• Like 4

Rogue cops...get badge #s and report... no right to pull u over  for that

As per the OPP, they have no right to ask you where you are coming form, or where you are going. 

• Like 1

I would be calling the Kearney Detachment and asking to speak to a Supervisor.    THey will know who was doing the RIDE program.  

It was a RIDE check, so they can pull you over as per the MADD program.

Asking you about your plans, destination, etc....is not part of the RIDE check protocol though......have you been drinking is the extent of it while they hover into or near your window looking or smelling for the tell tale signs to gig further.

• Like 1

Furthermore, expect some people to exaggerate things, especially those that might be in favour of the asinine decision that has been made for this region.

Not suggesting that is the case here, but you know it will be happening.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, stoney said:

It was a RIDE check, so they can pull you over as per the MADD program.

Asking you about your plans, destination, etc....is not part of the RIDE check protocol though......have you been drinking is the extent of it while they hover into or near your window looking or smelling for the tell tale signs to gig further.

I have found they always ask where you were coming from. They can ask you what ever they please, ask is the key, what they cannot do is become agitated or threatening if you decline to answer their questions. You do not even have to answer the question, have you been drinking, but why not after all, I would think most are not drinking and driving and that is the purpose of the stop. I would usually disclose where I am coming from, this expedites the encounter, however, during this lunacy, I will not be answering any question about why I am where I am.

• Like 3

They were in town of Kearney today on sleds and sitting at trail junctions with patrol cars ...they were not doing RIDE at these two separate places, just watching for sleds. :confused:  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zoso said:

I have found they always ask where you were coming from. They can ask you what ever they please, ask is the key, what they cannot do is become agitated or threatening if you decline to answer their questions. You do not even have to answer the question, have you been drinking, but why not after all, I would think most are not drinking and driving and that is the purpose of the stop. I would usually disclose where I am coming from, this expedites the encounter, however, during this lunacy, I will not be answering any question about why I am where I am.

Maybe they do than, honestly it usually seems pretty quick around here when I have passed through their RIDE program on the odd occasion......I just remember the usual good evening, any alcohol tonight and off I go.

I tend to agree with you, in light of the current atmosphere, I think I may find myself to be aggravated now due to what is going on and how I have strong feelings against it, that might make me be not as pleasant as I may normally be..... 

• Like 3

I guess, technically speaking,  trails are closed, so they are making sure people obide by the rules. But i agree it sucks, it really sucks. It would be nice if they showed more enforcement all the time, just not for these occasions that we are experiencing now. What a shame. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Yes more presence during regular riding would be nice. Putting this much presence out there now makes me think it’s a quick cash grab. If the OPP has this much time available now then why do we see so little of them when trails are open? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

It would be nice if they showed more enforcement all the time, just not for these occasions that we are experiencing now.

Perfect!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Yes more presence during regular riding would be nice. Putting this much presence out there now makes me think it’s a quick cash grab. If the OPP has this much time available now then why do we see so little of them when trails are open? 

Pure cash grab at its finest. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

My point exactly 

4 hours ago, zoso said:

none of their business where you are going or where you are coming from.

I agree with you but you are on the wrong side of the badge.Your better be not a smart azz and answer the questions.Been there a couple of times the last few months.  

Edited by snowchopper

I forgot to add they did ask the hubby if he had a drink today but they stood on the passenger side, didnt do any sniff test.  Nice young officers, not a sled anywhere in Kearney or on the trails that we could see, only a lone woman walking her dog up the trail.  They were super polite,  we didnt feel harassed and we had no problem answering their questions.  Not sure if they were posted there all day or just a short ride check.

1 hour ago, Turbo Doo said:

I guess, technically speaking,  trails are closed, so they are making sure people obide by the rules. But i agree it sucks, it really sucks. It would be nice if they showed more enforcement all the time, just not for these occasions that we are experiencing now. What a shame. 

4 hours ago, zoso said:

none of their business where you are going or where you are coming from.

I agree with you but you are on the wrong side of the badge.You better to be not a smart azz and answer the questions.Been there a couple of times the last few months.  

26 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

They have been out every weekend since the trails have been open .They usually sit between Kearney and highway 11.They do a lot of radar by Fisher lake on the short road section.The Burks falls Opp have two trailers.  I knew they would be out our way cause i saw only one trailer at the station in Burksfalls when i drove by after picking some groceries.So if you want to see more OPP presence come to Kearney any weekend.:lol:

Edited by snowchopper
  • Like 1

Not about $ it's about politics and public opinion.

It's trendy to police when there's "issues" the rest of the time, like Firefighters, you need flames to get an appearance. 

Demanding day to day enforcement is a job for each and every one of us. 

I live on a road with a 60k speed limit.

The "traffic calming" waste of taxpayer dollars registers an average of 80+. 

The ONLY time I see a patrol or "speed trap" is when I get on the phone.

Officers in attendance will tell you exactly the same thing.

If you want something done, call and bitch.

Question excuses.

Take names.

Done.

14 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Seems funny that now that they closed the trails for this , yet where were they at the start of the season when they were tearing up closed trails and pissing off our great landowners.

• Thanks 1