Trailer deal almost soured

zoso

I shopped around and the best deal I found was at Action Trailers. I bought a 6'x14' all aluminum. Walls, ceiling and floor ard 16" on center. 3/4" plywood floor. Ramp door,  side door, 15" radial tires on aluminum rims. Price was $6392  for chrome version, none in stock or $6596 for blacked out version.Got the last blacked out one in stock.

20201120_141200.jpg

I shopped around and the best deal I found was at Action Trailers. I bought a 6'x14' all aluminum. Walls, ceiling and floor ard 16" on center. 3/4" plywood floor. Ramp door,  side door, 15" radial tires on aluminum rims. Price was $6392  for chrome version, none in stock or $6596 for blacked out version.Got the last blacked out one in stock.

20201120_141200.jpg

20201120_141134.jpg

I have the same trailer in a 6x12 and am pretty disapointed with how wavy the skin is compared to my Neo trailer that I previously had.  

The rest of the trailer seems well built though.   I do like the blacked out version.   I think it will be easier to maintain down the road.   

Update. Trailer was there when I returned to our terminal, parked where instructed, and keys left with dispatch and placed in my mailbox. I am very satisfied with the  build quality however, time will tell on that. All latc hes and doors open and close as they shoul;d and everything seems solid. They gave me the upgraded drymax walls as opposed to standard luan walls. I can forgive them tyhe poor communications as the issue was resolved on tyhe one call. Overall, satisfied. I bought this sight unseen, and paid the remaining balance with an e transfer, this is not how I normally or ever have bought a larger ticket item. It did make me nervous but in the end was a pretty easy transaction. Would I buy from them again, yes. Now to install my e track system which is a handy thing as many different accessories are available for it., Thus far have spar tire holder and a couiple of hooks to hang items on and the tie down straps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, thetorches said:

20201120_141134.jpg

Before you get started on this season, remove the wheels and take off that decorative cap in the center. If not, you will have to remove the wheels anyway to access the easylube grease nipple. Saves some time and less of a disincentive to get it done. You may already have done this...;)

4 minutes ago, slomo said:

Before you get started on this season, remove the wheels and take off that decorative cap in the center. If not, you will have to remove the wheels anyway to access the easylube grease nipple. Saves some time and less of a disincentive to get it done. You may already have done this...;)

Should be another removable cap in the center of that cap, no?

I know my trailer has them for just that, greasing the bearings.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, slomo said:

So your saying the wheels have to be off to remove the center cap, and with cap removed you can grease the bearings. If I leave center caps on, I have to remove wheels everytime to grease bearings. 

The centre cap has a removable rubber insert. It’s a pain to remove and reinsert. Just jack up and remove rim, it’s much easier in the end. Grease the “bearing buddies” couple times ea winter and you are good.  

1 minute ago, J Feces said:

The centre cap has a removable rubber insert. It’s a pain to remove and reinsert. Just jack up and remove rim, it’s much easier in the end. Grease the “bearing buddies” couple times ea winter and you are good.  

So remove wheel and grease bearing each time and leave center cap on.

4 minutes ago, thetorches said:

Yes you can. There is outer cap of decorative cap and rubber cap for bearing buddy. You can use screw driver to remove the cap from centre decorative hub, remove it and then rubber cap on hub. grease and replace... Or..you can simply jack up and remove rim, centre cap comers off with rim. It’s easier in the end. Try it once and you will see. 

• Thanks 1

Buy some spare rubber plugs for the hub caps. They need to be removed and reinstalled to grease the bearings with the easy lube hubs. They are easily damaged and leak grease out or water and salt in. Murphy’s law. If you have them  then you won’t need them. If you need them, nobody close by will have any that you can purchase.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thetorches said:

The shiny plastic or metal caps that you see on the rims in the center should have a center cap that pops off without removing the wheels, behind that cap is the grease fitting for the axle bearings, there may or may not be a rubber cap over the grease zerk as well.

On my trailer, a center piece of the outer cap pops off and behind that is the grease zerk, there is no rubber cap over the grease zerk, but on my other travel trailer, there is a rubber cap.....but they each have totally different systems used to grease the bearings.

Edited by stoney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sksman said:

What is price comparison between top of line Ontario built and USA built?

All use same axles and aluminum side panels by looks of pictures.  

So we bought this in 2017 for just over $10,000 with upgraded frame, thicker o/s aluminum skin, lined inside walls, extra heavy rear door for equipment loading, equipment grade tie downs in floor, front left drive out door, right side man door. Spare tire mount inside on wall, chrome wheels. Competitive quote for American trailer which didn't equal this trailer was almost $12,000.

So how often do you grease your Tippet axles?

My new trailer manual says every 12 months or 36,000km.

My previous trailer with Dexter axles was easy.  Once a season pump through new grease.  

I guess on this new trailer i should actually take a cap a cap off and inspect the hubs.  What’s amazing is I know people that do not grease RV hubs and tow 10 times farther then most sled trailers will ever travel and in warmer temperatures.

37 minutes ago, Sksman said:

My previous trailer with Dexter axles was easy.  Once a season pump through new grease.  

I guess on this new trailer i should actually take a cap a cap off and inspect the hubs.  What’s amazing is I know people that do not grease RV hubs and tow 10 times farther then most sled trailers will ever travel and in warmer temperatures.

Once a year sounds right to me. Maybe some of the mechanics onhere can comment but it is my belief that if you grease too often you risk blowing out the rear wheel seal. When you think about it, before greaseables you would service the bearings and leave them alone for a year of longer without adding grease and they stayed OK in most cases.

On 1/20/2021 at 7:40 PM, zoso said:

ordered 3 weeks ago, was in last Friday, not ready as ski guides and mats had to be installed. Advised them at that time I required it on thursday of this week, and also said I may or may not need it delivered as I was unsure as to my arrival time back in the area. I was told I could call on Wednesday,  today, and let them know. So, I call today, I will require delivery.  Advised trailer is not ready and cannot be delivered. I told the girl that is unacceptable and I would require the deal be canceled and a refund of my deposit returned. I then speak to the sales representative, he gives me attitude. Next I speak with the president of the company. He apologizes, first one to do so. He then tells me he will see if he can get it delivered and states if not he will gladly refund the deposit, then says he will call me back. Five minutes later and he has called back, and it will be delivered as promised. The reason I had to have delivery Thursday only is because I live 5 hours from their business and will not be anywhere near there for 3 weeks. So, I have a mixed review on action trailer in strathroy ontario. I would expect that the two employees that I first spoke to are getting spoken to for dropping the ball, and almost losing a 7k sale. Looking forward to trailering salt free in my local area to do day rides.....unless the trail closures spread like covid.

They delivered 5 hours away?

Or your terminal is a long way from home?

On 1/22/2021 at 10:49 AM, thetorches said:

20201120_141200.jpg

I would hope that anyone with a "chromed out" trailer only drives it on overcast days, and if they EVER drive in bluebird sky days, that they only drive into the sun!

Not that those days are plentifull around here, just sayin' ....

On 1/22/2021 at 8:36 AM, Sksman said:

What is price comparison between top of line Ontario built and USA built?

All use same axles and aluminum side panels by looks of pictures.  

Mark and Brenda of Brenmar are awesome, If I had the time I would have ordered from them, mine was a last minute purchase.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sksman said:

I grease in the spring to push out any water, again in the fall and again mid winter.

• Like 1