North Bay Parry Sound Health Unit ordering area OFSC trails closed

Giddy UP

5 minutes ago, tricky said:

I made the statement because I am not alone in having an active and involved life at 70. Through power sports, I know a lot of guys over 70 and even 80 who are still active in racing as well as recreational motorcycling and sledding. I am not saying that 70 is the new 50, but a 70 year old life shouldn't be treated as disposable, as has been implied more than once recently on this forum.

No jurisdiction in the world has dealt with this Covid pandemic perfectly, so perfection is not the standard that we should be expecting from our politicians and medical officers. The medical and statistical opinions expressed on this forum are thankfully mostly laughable. It reminds me of the "It will be gone by April", "It will die off once the warm weather gets here", "It will go away after election day" theories. I think we all need to chill and make the best of the next few weeks.

And BTW, maybe we own a big thank you to the OFSC, districts and clubs who have been working their butts off to get the trails open in the NBPS health unit. Dialog, not ideology prevailed. Should never have been shut down, but once it was, yelling  "fire the bastard" wasn't what got the trails open for the locals.

Agreed, good for anyone at any age to be active...keeps the wheels greased.

On the flip side, those under 60 should not be treated as disposable either, mostly the ones who are still working (or would like too), with young or younger kids, who are likely more active physically and socially than most that are north of 70, which given what has gone on, has been the case as well.

The numbers show who is at greatest risk, yet there has been a huge price for all to pay, in more ways than one.

No one is disposable, but you need to look at the bigger picture, do the "right" thing, protect those that need to be & remove the politics......but that is not possible I am afraid and never will be.

Making the best of a situation that has been handled so poorly, is not working for me......I am not thinking or looking at the next week, two weeks or just the sledding season, I am looking way past that and the way things are going and have gone, I do not see an end to this nonsense based on what has transpired thus far, hence the frustrations or medical opinions or stats, etc.....

It seems all the hard decisions have been based on "modelling"....something that has not even yet happened, with decisions made that you know for a FACT will have dire consequences, no modeling required for that.

Anyways, agree to disagree, hence the massive divide that is tearing things apart right now.

Need to try and enjoy today & tomorrow, never know what the next day might bring!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, revrnd said:

From what folks in that area have said, that sounds doubtful.

Amongst discussions in the area regarding Dr. Cheerios two words seemed to be prevalent in describing this beloved Dr.  I was surprised when I found out he wasn’t a proctologist.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, snapper said:

Amongst discussions in the area regarding Dr. Cheerios two words seemed to be prevalent in describing this beloved Dr.  I was surprised when I found out he wasn’t a proctologist.

Post of the day LOL

Brings to mind a few memes...

7 hours ago, tricky said:

I made the statement because I am not alone in having an active and involved life at 70. Through power sports, I know a lot of guys over 70 and even 80 who are still active in racing as well as recreational motorcycling and sledding. I am not saying that 70 is the new 50, but a 70 year old life shouldn't be treated as disposable, as has been implied more than once recently on this forum.

No jurisdiction in the world has dealt with this Covid pandemic perfectly, so perfection is not the standard that we should be expecting from our politicians and medical officers. The medical and statistical opinions expressed on this forum are thankfully mostly laughable. It reminds me of the "It will be gone by April", "It will die off once the warm weather gets here", "It will go away after election day" theories. I think we all need to chill and make the best of the next few weeks.

And BTW, maybe we owe a big thank you to the OFSC, districts and clubs who have been working their butts off to get the trails open in the NBPS health unit. Dialog, not ideology prevailed. Should never have been shut down, but once it was, yelling  "fire the bastard" wasn't what got the trails open for the locals.

Quite right on all counts.

NB's mayor was on CP24, there was some mention about outdoor recreation opening up. I bet the vast majority of sledding wouldn't be anywhere near North Bay. 

I imagine the 'good' Dr will be keeping a low profile. I can just seem him interacting w/ someone that was a sledder LOL

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

NB's mayor was on CP24, there was some mention about outdoor recreation opening up. I bet the vast majority of sledding wouldn't be anywhere near North Bay. 

I imagine the 'good' Dr will be keeping a low profile. I can just seem him interacting w/ someone that was a sledder LOL

In normal years 2 of the busiest trails in Ontario being TOP A and TOP D both go right through  North Bay.

4 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

In normal years 2 of the busiest trails in Ontario being TOP A and TOP D both go right through  North Bay.

True my RAN tour in 2014 took us across Trout Lake, but we didn't stay there or need a gas stop. 

Had they closed the motels, that would've kept sledders away. What they did was punish local riders trying to keep out of towers away.

• Like 1

Another death n NB today from COVID. He will be looking for any excuse to close them up again. If you are local...great...ride those trails and Giddy up!!.....if you are coming from another area into this lockdown zone, I would suggest you find another zone to ride if you can.  All he needs to see is a bunch of non local sledders rushing in and BOOM..there we will go again!  At least there is lots of snow now further south, so that helps...keeping our fingers crossed that people use their heads here ...please.:wacko:  I have read on all sorts of pages people planning on rushing in to “rip” on the trails up here. He has opened them up for “local” use. The lockdown is still in force. :banghead:

Edited by Giddy UP
  • Like 2

So I can go inside a Canadian Tire store in Vaughan now but not at my second home in Parry Sound.

Makes perfect sense, glad the science is being followed.

• Confused 1

On 2/19/2021 at 8:46 PM, tricky said:

I am not too worried about that "stiff breeze" just yet. I have a couple of aunts that lived to over 100, uncles who have functioned quite well into there 90s, and parents who are 94 and 92. I can ride a 600 km day on my sled, a 1000 km day on my street bike, and keep lots of young guys behind me on either of my KTM dirt bikes. Hope you do as well in your seventies. 

38 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

So I can go inside a Canadian Tire store in Vaughan now but not at my second home in Parry Sound.

Makes perfect sense, glad the science is being followed.

If you are paying taxes for full year round restendency than you are a local.

That's how I see it, carry your tax bill with you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cravesledding said:

I'm talking about actually going inside CT.

Nothing will stop me from going to my property.

Parry Sound is green finally:hyper:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cravesledding said:

wouldnt that be nice for U.S residents with property in Ontario? Ski

2 minutes ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

or vice versa

you guys can, always have been able to... just have to fly across the border. us on the other hand have no option. Ski

7 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

you guys can, always have been able to... just have to fly across the border. us on the other hand have no option. Ski

agreed but now we have to quarantine for 3 days in jail or we can walk across and not.

Giddy up, I hear your point, but  I live in simcoe county, I am planning a day ride in Parry Sound district, I have a cottage - year round, I am planning on riding up cleaning the driveway and the roof then riding back to my truck. I also bought my passes from the district, and pay taxes in that district. My original worry was that the district was still in the stay at home order, however I need to ensure the cottage is o.k. 

• Like 2

You are Canadian Citizens, go ride and stick the boundaries up your you know what.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, 4mysled said:

Giddy up, I hear your point, but  I live in simcoe county, I am planning a day ride in Parry Sound district, I have a cottage - year round, I am planning on riding up cleaning the driveway and the roof then riding back to my truck. I also bought my passes from the district, and pay taxes in that district. My original worry was that the district was still in the stay at home order, however I need to ensure the cottage is o.k. 

I don't believe that travel was ever banned or illegal during Covid times in Ontario (other than some reservations) unless people from more than one household were travelling in the same vehicle. Snowmobile trails are open and although trails between health units are closed per OFSC requirements, the only thing I think you could be charged with is tresspassing if you were travelling on a closed trail and thats a longshot in my opinion. Cleaning the roof of your cottage off should be considered essential I would think as your cottage could be in danger if it isn't done.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

You are Canadian Citizens, go ride and stick the boundaries up your you know what.

Thats what I do when I go riding. No trails in Halton. May have to go run the c101d on the weekend. I like that trail.

1 hour ago, 4mysled said:

Absolutely!  I agree that you should be able to do that.  If you own a cottage I believe that you have every right to go and enjoy it, and especially check on it to make sure everything is ok.  I am really referring to folks that trailer up and ride then leave.  I think we need to respect the fact that this region is still in "lockdown mode" at least until March 8th, and they are only opening the trails to "local residents" - not a "free for all" opening.  It is what we fought for, and finally got it as we felt it never should have been closed in the first place when all other regions were open for these outdoor activities.   If it was up to me I would say Giddy UP for everyone. :D  I am in the same boat.  My "Primary" residence is in Kearney - however, my 92 year old Mother is in LTC in Midland and I am a Primary Caregiver, so we also have a home in Victoria Harbour as well.  When we go to Victoria Harbour - we stay at least 2 weeks or more and vice-versa....so we definitely isolate when in either of those two places.  It is the travelling back and forth and back and forth that they don't want for day riders that could get things shut down again.  There are so many other spots that are OPEN and not still in lockdown that those folks should consider first is all I am saying.  Hopefully we will move out of the lockdown status by March 8th and it may not be an issue any longer.  Everyone is getting COVID madness and COVID weary.  I know I am! :banghead:

I don't mind people traveling to other areas, what pisses me off is the lack of respect from those that are traveling to these places like self entitle pricks. 

• Thanks 1

• revrnd locked this topic