North Bay Parry Sound Health Unit ordering area OFSC trails closed

Giddy UP

• Like 3

Just wandering if the province will be reimbursing district 10 sledders who reside and ride out of there for their trail permit costs. Not in the habit of paying for something I can’t use.

I am sharing a letter that my hubby "Mr. Giddy" has written to Hon. Christine Elliott.  Perhaps others could also send along emails as well

January 30, 2021

Hon. Christine Elliott

Minister of Health

College Park 5th Flr,

777 Bay St,

Toronto, ON M7A 2J3

Sent via email to:  christine.elliott@ontario.ca

Re:  North Bay/Parry Sound District closure of OFSC Snowmobile Trails

Dear Ms. Elliott:

I am writing today to express my concern and disappointment in the above noted closure that Dr. Jim Chirico, Medical Officer of Health has implemented in our region.  I am a Councillor with the Town of Kearney, Ontario and the Chair of our Economic Development Committee.  I respectfully request that a review of this decision be made personally by at your earliest convenience. This matter is of utmost importance to the Small Businesses and the mental and physical well-being of all that are directly impacted by this unsubstantiated closure.

As stated by Premier Doug Ford in his outline of activities that are “allowed” to continue during this lock down – snowmobiling is among the list of activities that are allowed for both a physical and mental health activity.  This outdoor activity poses no immediate threat to the spread of COVID, and in fact, it is quite the opposite as snowmobilers are covered head to toe in protective gear including face masks (balaclavas) and full helmets.

We are a small town of less than 1,000 residents.  To my knowledge, we do not have any current cases of COVID in our community.  I find it short-sighted and draconian in imposing these measures without statistical support and without proper justification.  This action is extremely detrimental to our Community and others in the Region.

It would appear based on the latest statistics that I reviewed that with only 5 active cases of COVID within the Region and ZERO hospitalized cases that this decision was not fact based or science based in my opinion.  I would certainly respect this decision had other remedies and/or solutions to mitigate out of region travellers been investigated and the statistics supported the closure – but they do not.

There are members of our Community that have mobility issues – and since swimming is not an option during this time, snowmobiling is the only source of their exercise and winter activity during the long winter months.  

Small business struggles at the best of times in the Northern regions of our Province.  Most small business owners rely upon the income that snowmobilers bring to their towns during the long winter to survive.  Snowmobiling is more than a uniquely Canadian way to enjoy winter. It is an important contributor to Ontario's economy, generating up to $3.3 billion in economic activity every year. It is understandable that perhaps accommodation would be impacted, however, there are other businesses that will now suffer and may not recover as a direct result of Dr. Chirico’s baseless closure.  Gas stations and restaurants are only two of these businesses that come to mind immediately, not to mention the tireless hours of volunteer work and money that the local Snowmobile Clubs have expended to get these trails ready during the course of the year. 

In closing, I respectfully request that a review this decision immediately and perhaps direct Dr. Chirico to reconsider his stand on this matter in the immediate future so that business and local residents can perhaps salvage what is left of winter for snowmobilers, which happens to be a short season during a normal year.

Your reply to this matter would be appreciated at your earliest convenience.

Respectfully,

Paul M. Ziraldo

Councillor, Town of Kearney

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Excellent!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Giddy UP said:

I am sharing a letter that my hubby "Mr. Giddy" has written to Hon. Christine Elliott.  Perhaps others could also send along emails as well

January 30, 2021

Hon. Christine Elliott

Minister of Health

College Park 5th Flr,

777 Bay St,

Toronto, ON M7A 2J3

Dear Ms. Elliott:

I am writing today to express my concern and disappointment in the above noted closure that Dr. Jim Chirico, Medical Officer of Health has implemented in our region.  I am a Councillor with the Town of Kearney, Ontario and the Chair of our Economic Development Committee.  I respectfully request that a review of this decision be made personally by at your earliest convenience. This matter is of utmost importance to the Small Businesses and the mental and physical well-being of all that are directly impacted by this unsubstantiated closure.

As stated by Premier Doug Ford in his outline of activities that are “allowed” to continue during this lock down – snowmobiling is among the list of activities that are allowed for both a physical and mental health activity.  This outdoor activity poses no immediate threat to the spread of COVID, and in fact, it is quite the opposite as snowmobilers are covered head to toe in protective gear including face masks (balaclavas) and full helmets.

We are a small town of less than 1,000 residents.  To my knowledge, we do not have any current cases of COVID in our community.  I find it short-sighted and draconian in imposing these measures without statistical support and without proper justification.  This action is extremely detrimental to our Community and others in the Region.

It would appear based on the latest statistics that I reviewed that with only 5 active cases of COVID within the Region and ZERO hospitalized cases that this decision was not fact based or science based in my opinion.  I would certainly respect this decision had other remedies and/or solutions to mitigate out of region travellers been investigated and the statistics supported the closure – but they do not.

There are members of our Community that have mobility issues – and since swimming is not an option during this time, snowmobiling is the only source of their exercise and winter activity during the long winter months.  

Small business struggles at the best of times in the Northern regions of our Province.  Most small business owners rely upon the income that snowmobilers bring to their towns during the long winter to survive.  Snowmobiling is more than a uniquely Canadian way to enjoy winter. It is an important contributor to Ontario's economy, generating up to $3.3 billion in economic activity every year. It is understandable that perhaps accommodation would be impacted, however, there are other businesses that will now suffer and may not recover as a direct result of Dr. Chirico’s baseless closure.  Gas stations and restaurants are only two of these businesses that come to mind immediately, not to mention the tireless hours of volunteer work and money that the local Snowmobile Clubs have expended to get these trails ready during the course of the year. 

In closing, I respectfully request that a review this decision immediately and perhaps direct Dr. Chirico to reconsider his stand on this matter in the immediate future so that business and local residents can perhaps salvage what is left of winter for snowmobilers, which happens to be a short season during a normal year.

Respectfully,

Paul M. Ziraldo

Great letter although it should of stated Dr. Chiroco should be replaced with someone capable of not making idiotic decisions that make absolutely no sense.

• Like 2

well they do need training. We saw a group of OPP last year at the Dorest Shell station and some were having difficulty riding.

6 hours ago, Giddy UP said:

January 30, 2021

Hon. Christine Elliott

Minister of Health

College Park 5th Flr,

777 Bay St,

Toronto, ON M7A 2J3

Dear Ms. Elliott:

Respectfully,

Paul M. Ziraldo

Well done Mr and Mrs Giddy Up...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Goody said:

How did the virus get here? And what about the other variants? Hmm !

I wonder what government could have possibly done a year ago? Strange!

spring break was our killer, add 2 extra weeks and guess what,,, most if not all cases arriving by plane were documented, right down to the first case, it was spring break when it got into the community,,, 

Epidemiological summary of COVID-19 cases in Canada - Canada.ca

1 minute ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

I guess all the OPP are to busy training in NB to bother patrolling the closed trails in Parry Sound. Unreal. 
image.thumb.png.bb77a3eae7fab055be1666859142bd2b.png

Sounds like NB is full of OPP sledders. Glad they are enjoying the trails...Too bad about the sequin trail. Sad, really sad..

On 1/29/2021 at 7:22 PM, cehyoopers said:

most people will not read this,,, a shame, they look to lay blame on someone else,human nature,,,

You two think this crap swam across the ocean?? it all came here by flight, some from the states but bulk by flight 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nickyskidoo said:

You two think this crap swam across the ocean?? it all came here by flight, some from the states but bulk by flight 

in the beginning they had contact tracing, is was not in the community until spring break, contact tracing is not a problem,,
this is good info,
A timeline of COVID-19 in Canada (yahoo.com)

Edited by cehyoopers
added link

I wonder how the other 34 public health offices feel about the one that shut the trails, he basically gave them all a big FU,,,

March 5: B.C. announces eight new cases, including Canada's first-ever case possibly contracted within the community, rather than through travel or contact with other cases.

Edited by cehyoopers
added info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, coldfinger said:

Cruise ships were a problem early on .

mostly for the people on them, having said that there still may be some people on cruise ships that never had any covid, and they are not getting off,lol

15 minutes ago, cehyoopers said:

I wonder how the other 34 public health offices feel about the one that shut the trails, he basically gave them all a big FU,,,

March 5: B.C. announces eight new cases, including Canada's first-ever case possibly contracted within the community, rather than through travel or contact with other cases.

Sorry man but this crap was here last Christmas my family and I got sick like we never have and got tested for strep +++ and nothing they knew of. Doctor and Pharmacist couldn't believe how many people were coming in with nothing they could pinpoint.

Thats the big picture just sayin 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Nickyskidoo said:

Sorry man but this crap was here last Christmas my family and I got sick like we never have and got tested for strep +++ and nothing they knew of. Doctor and Pharmacist couldn't believe how many people were coming in with nothing they could pinpoint.

Your right, it was here long before anyone knew anything,  just like the variants,  its been here long before anyone figured it out.  By the time we figure stuff out, its already too late.  

• Like 1

Another thought,  so we stopped flights to the Caribbean,  to stop warm weather canadians from leaving the country,  but what about all the flights coming into the country with the variants on them from all corners of the earth?. Makes sense eh?. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Giddy UP said:

January 30, 2021

Hon. Christine Elliott

Minister of Health

College Park 5th Flr,

777 Bay St,

Toronto, ON M7A 2J3

Dear Ms. Elliott:

Respectfully,

Paul M. Ziraldo

Great letter may I please use it as an example of what needs to be done? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

Great letter may I please use it as an example of what needs to be done? 

Absolutely!! :right_on:

13 hours ago, Nickyskidoo said:

For sure it was.  Pretty sure wife and I had it over a year ago.  

image.thumb.png.3d584bcdbf43428a95cf007a0780f8cb.png

• Like 1

IT'S A CONSPIRACY!

RCMP visit reporter AT HOME for publishing story critical of Trudeau government - YouTube

Nothing to see here, move along.

Our PM is a great guy, doing the right thing.

He deserves to be re-elected with a majority, so he can use his god given genius to save us from ourselves.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• revrnd locked this topic