4 fatalities this weekend

Arctic JC

9 minutes ago, Arctic JC said:

My condolences to the families of the 4 victims. While I feel sad that these deaths continue to happen, I cannot comprehend riding on Georgian Bay given the mild weather this season.

4 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

My condolences to the families of the 4 victims. While I feel sad that these deaths continue to happen, I cannot comprehend riding on Georgian Bay given the mild weather this season.

My condolences to the families as well but completely agree with you PLC, there is no ice to even ride on.  

1 hour ago, Turbo Doo said:

Hard to feel sorry.  Call me what you will, but time and time again, STUPIDITY at its best..

I agree with you. I feel sorry for what the families are going through. It is bad enough they lost someone, and think they should be smart enough to stay off the lakes. Now there gone & this makes snowmobiling look bad. Dont know why, when it is the person behind the sled that makes the bad choice 

• Like 1

The 2 that went thru in vic harbour was a father and son, used to hang out with the father in public and high school. It's sad and i feel sorry for his wife and other kid but play stupid games win stupid prizes.

• Sad 2

Even in the best of years the area of Sturgeon Bay between Penatang-Waubaushene to Port Severn is never as it appears to be.There is many Poynyas--good for seals and narwhals not so much for sledders.Even the locals who have lived there whole life get caught.This year you are foolish to be out there.

Unfortunately there are people who like to ride open water or water and ice in the area. YouTube April Fools if you want to see what I mean. These people ride open water all the time and it’s all good until the belt gets wet or breaks. It’s probably an absolute riot sledding where you boat but all it takes is one miscalculation, that water is cold. Ride safe, you will live longer! I feel sorry for the family left behind. 

1 minute ago, Xfirecat said:

Unfortunately there are people who like to ride open water or water and ice in the area. YouTube April Fools if you want to see what I mean. These people ride open water all the time and it’s all good until the belt gets wet or breaks. It’s probably an absolute riot sledding where you boat but all it takes is one miscalculation, that water is cold. Ride safe, you will live longer! I feel sorry for the family left behind. 

April Fools fellows know the water well and was a calculated risk that they where prepared for.Not condoning it but it's a cool vid. The area has sunk way more boats than sleds but the water is warmer and the outcome is not surprisingly better.

6 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Hard to feel sorry.  Call me what you will, but time and time again, STUPIDITY at its best..

How could they not know the 'ice' conditions sucked. I drove by the section of the creek that we ran before the Swiss Bear effed up things, but it's wide open. I haven't been to the woodlot, but we have no need to go on the ice down there as we have a bridge.

2 hours ago, gtserider said:

Even in the best of years the area of Sturgeon Bay between Penatang-Waubaushene to Port Severn is never as it appears to be.There is many Poynyas--good for seals and narwhals not so much for sledders.Even the locals who have lived there whole life get caught.This year you are foolish to be out there.

I had to look that up. From the TV coverage it looks like the 'ice' is just a large area of ice chunks floating on the surface. Then you have the icebreaker coming & going thru there...

No judgement, condolences to friends and family.

The Great Lakes have only 1.8% Ice Coverage on them as of yesterday. There was no visible ice in mid Lake Huron yesterday. Not good for lake running but the lake effect snow is starting to show itself in our area this morning.