State of emergency declared

Puggz

Day rides, minimal gas station stops and no restaurant visits.

I dont think we have any problems social distancing.

4 hours ago, thetorches said:

The order says snowmobiling can stsy open. It also says you can leave home for exercise and snowmobiling is considered exercise. 

My Fit bit app said I did 42,437 steps on Saturday when I was out riding  (trails were really bumpy for the 297 Km’s!)

:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

One could go to their cottage for "emergency maintenance" and if the trails remain open travel  from 7am-8:00 pm along them to access a grocery, drug store or medical appointment?

I'm no expert, but my guess is they are trying to strike a balance between the needs of urban areas which are in major trouble while not being unreasonable to folks living in rural areas.  I'm gonna look at it this way.  If I can't make a ride with absolutely no contacts then I shouldn't be going.  Have to leave with a full tank and not stop for gas.  Trail side lunches only.  Means I can't take off to Cochrane like many have done.  Can't do any overnighters and should stay close to home.  This is basically what the OFSC has been preaching.  To those that said they could go before because there was no law against it I'd say that's no longer the case.  There is fines now and you can be charged.  Cottagers are a tricky one.  There's a lot of people that have moved to their places on a permanent temporary basis until the pandemic is over.  The lakes are almost as full of lights right now as they are in the summer.  I can't see them being told to leave and go home.  It kinda hit home tonight when I found out my brother who is a medic with Ornge is getting pulled off the helicopter and being put in an ambulance dedicated to moving ICU covid patients from GTA hospitals to the outlying hospitals (I'm not certain on the details but think they're planning on moving patients to cities like London, Barrie, Parry Sound, Peterborough  Belleville, Kingston, etc).  Looking at having police officers and fire fighters drive the ambulance so the medics can be spread thinner to carry the load.  We're also starting to price the install of temp field hospitals at work.  No one likes it, but this is bigger than snowmobiling.  

Edited by signfan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, signfan said:

I'm no expert, but my guess is they are trying to strike a balance between the needs of urban areas which are in major trouble while not being unreasonable to folks living in rural areas.  I'm gonna look at it this way.  If I can't make a ride with absolutely no contacts then I shouldn't be going.  Have to leave with a full tank and not stop for gas.  Trail side lunches only.  Means I can't take off to Cochrane like many have done.  Can't do any overnighters and should stay close to home.  This is basically what the OFSC has been preaching.  To those that said they could go before because there was no law against it I'd say that's no longer the case.  There is fines now and you can be charged.  Cottagers are a tricky one.  There's a lot of people that have moved to their places on a permanent temporary basis until the pandemic is over.  The lakes are almost as full of lights right now as they are in the summer.  I can't see them being told to leave and go home.  It kinda hit home tonight when I found out my brother who is a medic with Ornge is getting pulled off the helicopter and being put in an ambulance dedicated to moving ICU covid patients from GTA hospitals to the outlying hospitals (I'm not certain on the details but think they're planning on moving patients to cities like London, Barrie, Parry Sound, Peterborough  Belleville, Kingston, etc).  Looking at having police officers and fire fighters drive the ambulance so the medics can be spread thinner to carry the load.  We're also starting to price the install of temp field hospitals at work.  No one likes it, but this is bigger than snowmobiling.  

Finally some news that makes some sense.

There are just over 384 hospitals in Ontario and currently 1701 Covid case hospitalized, that you know are mostly in the hot spots, which will greatly reduce the numbers in the hospitals if they start moving some people around....perfect world, 4.4 covid cases per hospital, which you know that will not happen, but it is a step in the right direction.

Edited by stoney
  • Like 1

Many anxious snowmobilers are already contacting the OFSC to ask what today’s Ontario announcement means for snowmobiling. Rest assured that no one wants to know more than we do. But given that the government took 5 days to put their announcement together and that it hasn’t yet updated the supporting regulations, please be patient while we take the required time to assess what if any change may be needed to the message we’ve been delivering since the current shutdown started on Dec 26 - ride locally on available (Yellow or Green) OFSC trails within your public health region while following all public health measures.
We’ll post our update as soon as the Province provides more clarity.

11 hours ago, signfan said:

Sled trails made the cut

https://www.ontario.ca/page/enhancing-public-health-and-workplace-safety-measures-provincewide-shutdown

Stay at home though.  Not sure what to think.  

Tie goes to the runner, they drafted this, it's grey, you win, ride away.

9 hours ago, signfan said:

They are moving people to use it as an excuse to lock us all down. If the system can be used as a provincial excuse than you cant lock people down regionally. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

They are moving people to use it as an excuse to lock us all down. If the system can be used as a provincial excuse than you cant lock people down regionally. 

The reality is that patients are being moved to make some room in ICU units in hospitals that have full or close to full ICU units in high covid case areas. If any of us had a family member or friend that happened to have a terrible accident in one of the high Covid 19 areas or any area for that matter and needed to be in an ICU bed I'm certain all of us would want a bed to be available for them. On the local evening news last night, they gave numbers of ICU beds that were available at city hospitals in our area (Guelph, KW, Cambridge). One had 3, and three had 2 ICU beds available with 3 patients having already been transferred from the Toronto area and more expected.

• Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

The reality is that patients are being moved to make some room in ICU units in hospitals that have full or close to full ICU units in high covid case areas. If any of us had a family member or friend that happened to have a terrible accident in one of the high Covid 19 areas or any area for that matter and needed to be in an ICU bed I'm certain all of us would want a bed to be available for them. On the local evening news last night, they gave numbers of ICU beds that were available at city hospitals in our area (Guelph, KW, Cambridge). One had 3, and three had 2 ICU beds available with 3 patients having already been transferred from the Toronto area and more expected.

Reality is they did NOTHING to prepare for the increase they KNEW was coming - reported to us for months.

That is the reality. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Reality is they did NOTHING to prepare for the increase they KNEW was coming - reported to us for months.

That is the reality. 

And what would you have them do... build new hospital rooms. Graduate more doctors and nurses. All in less than a year. It's down to those who don't believe this is real and still party on as if it wasn't real. I watched security remove a crazy from the drug store 2 days ago while he insisted it was a violation of his rights to require a mask.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Spiderman said:

That is the reality. 

They (not sure who that is) weren't alone as very many other areas of Canada and other countries are having the same issue.  I'm pretty sure those in power like most of us were hoping the previously imposed measures would work. Few if any of those in power have been through anything like this before. Its real easy to point blame but if you or I were in their position would we make better choices? My crystal ball doesn't work that well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

And what would you have them do... build new hospital rooms. Graduate more doctors and nurses. All in less than a year. It's down to those who don't believe this is real and still party on as if it wasn't real. I watched security remove a crazy from the drug store 2 days ago while he insisted it was a violation of his rights to require a mask.

Healthcare is like any other business 02 - there are ways to pivot, ways to manage crisis - I know what we are able to accomplish in times of serious need and desperation when WE AREN'T EXPECTING IT, real time devastating losses for people, and we manage it, do it, and continue to manage our day to day, it can be done, in ALL places of business.

I place 100% of the blame on the Government for not providing the tools and resources for healthcare, it's on them, all of it.

Covid is real - it's "dire" affect is on a very, very very limited population of people, which is also real.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

They (not sure who that is) weren't alone as very many other areas of Canada and other countries are having the same issue.  I'm pretty sure those in power like most of us were hoping the previously imposed measures would work. Few if any of those in power have been through anything like this before. Its real easy to point blame but if you or I were in their position would we make better choices? My crystal ball doesn't work that well.

Locally, my very good friend is a Covid ward Nurse, our capacity issues are LTC patients - who can't go back because of outbreaks or to eliminate causing one. 

They are NOT being treated ( for Covid - but need the same care they get in LTC ), they are in ICU beds - quarantining and sitting there until they can return - some on the 1st wave were there for 3-4 months - sitting in ICU beds...

That is a problem and there is solutions for it - if you're willing to invest in those solutions.

Our government is not interested in that.

Their strategy instead is what we have been doing now for 10 months - it's failed - proven to fail and will continue to fail.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Healthcare is like any other business 02 - there are ways to pivot, ways to manage crisis - I know what we are able to accomplish in times of serious need and desperation when WE AREN'T EXPECTING IT, real time devastating losses for people, and we manage it, do it, and continue to manage our day to day, it can be done, in ALL places of business.

I place 100% of the blame on the Government for not providing the tools and resources for healthcare, it's on them, all of it.

Covid is real - it's "dire" affect is on a very, very very limited population of people, which is also real.

So you believe they could have built more hospital rooms, produced more doctors and nurses in massive numbers in 8 months. They ramped up and have increased the availability of ventilators and PPE to meet the demand very quickly with the cooperation from businesses but the rooms, doctors and nurses can't happen that quickly.

1 minute ago, 02Sled said:

So you believe they could have built more hospital rooms, produced more doctors and nurses in massive numbers in 8 months. They ramped up and have increased the availability of ventilators and PPE to meet the demand very quickly with the cooperation from businesses but the rooms, doctors and nurses can't happen that quickly.

Read again, I believe they can easily find accomodations elsewhere to manage LTC patients who need care, but are NOT BEING TREATED for Covid, yes I do.

You are not understanding how many of those particular groups are taking up ICU beds.

We relocate displaced families of all kinds all day every day - part of what we do.

2 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Admittedly I have no science or health background to confirm your statement, I assume you do. Assuming you do. Here is the problem; when we move around, whatever that limited population you mention, is eventually going to be exposed. No??? Whatever, political party I support I do not envy a single politician attempting to navigate this world wide crisis that appears to morphing into something even worse. 

I for one would be scared to death for me or a loved one placed into a 10 or less month unplanned health unit to pivot. Pivoting a clothing company to suddenly supply PPE is one thing...

For me; side line coaches belong yelling at ref's in their living rooms or judges on cooking bake off's. Not here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ontariof7 said:

Admittedly I have no science or health background to confirm your statement, I assume you do. Assuming you do. Here is the problem; when we move around, whatever that limited population you mention, is eventually going to be exposed. No??? Whatever, political party I support I do not envy a single politician attempting to navigate this world wide crisis that appears to morphing into something even worse. 

I for one would be scared to death for me or a loved one placed into a 10 or less month unplanned health unit to pivot. Pivoting a clothing company to suddenly supply PPE is one thing...

For me; side line coaches belong yelling at ref's in their living rooms or judges on cooking bake off's. Not here.

I am out of likes for today so... well said... just like Horvath who criticised everything from day one but hasn't offered up one single alternative solution

7 minutes ago, ontariof7 said:

See above - you're beds are full with people receiving NO treatment.

That can be handled differently.

See above - you're beds are full with people receiving NO treatment.

That can be handled differently.

I read. You just acknowledged that health care is being pressed to a brink. 

I am going to close this off with you Spiderman (superhero?? LMAO) you think "brick and mortar" is immediate and unlimited; enjoy. I will continue to simply hunker down. Damn straight I wish I saw my mom more or especially my daughter who lives with her mom; it hurts!!!! But I believe lots are hurting as well :(.  Call your MPP with your great advice. I look forward to an update, please share.

I hope I never end up in a make shift unit nor anyone for that matter. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ontariof7 said:

I read. You just acknowledged that health care is being pressed to a brink. 

And that beds can be free'd up for people needing treatment

1 minute ago, Spiderman said:

Kinda like the 90 bed field hospital that was erected in Burlington, that is being used for covid patients that no longer require icu but still need to recover?

call your MPP and get the beds freed, you make seem simple. In fact, can you share with us how to free more beds?