What3words app for location identification

Candubrain

https://shorelinetoday.ca/2021/01/12/app-credited-with-helping-find-two-lost-hikers-in-bruce-peninsula/

Read this today and decided to look into this app.   I already carry an inReach for SOS, and I'm aware that the OFSC app will show locations as well as Googlemaps, etc.   But I thought this is a great app for someone that doesn't understand LAT/LON, or don't know where they are.

I'm not connected to the developers and I'm not promoting it.   I've downloaded it and have suggested family members do the same as it appears to be very simple to use.   It assigns 3 words to 3 meter squares around the world, the 3 words is actually the LAT/LON.

brian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our local police force is using it

Edited by soupkids

As a ham radio operator I've been using this app for a couple of years and been promoting it for Search & Rescue here in the north.

Hopefully it is finally catching on.

Just a reminder that it will only work if you have a signal to send.

• Like 1

The weather network had a video on its mobile app  forecast page today that I clicked on.  

I heard about it on here first, then on TWN, so I figured I would download and give it a try.

Interesting APP. I'll need a new phone as I have no more room for apps. I am curious as to how they make money? are there ads with the APP? I read that BMW has the APP in their vehicles.  What do I have to give up for the APP?  

Jerry

13 hours ago, grover_yyz said:

Interesting APP. I'll need a new phone as I have no more room for apps. I am curious as to how they make money? are there ads with the APP? I read that BMW has the APP in their vehicles.  What do I have to give up for the APP?  

Jerry

Good questions.  I honestly don't know.  They are using Google Maps so I'm sure there is some sort of information shared with Google.   I have not seen any ads pop up on the App.

• Like 1