Quebec Free Weekend is Cancelled

bbakernbay

1 hour ago, Turbo Tim said:

So nothing has changed in essence, you can ride and stay at hotels, can't ride during curfew.....no biggie

But only with your family the way I read item 2 in the above.

Yeah good point....so I go riding take my rig, my buddy takes his, stay at the same hotel, different rooms, and we just happen to ride in the same direction, will be difficult to police that

• Like 2

A person walking, on snowshoes or on a snowmobile is outside. Presumably not breathing recurculated air " inside".  Ontario is the only North American jurisdiction to ban skiing and snowboarding.  Why not encourage fresh air? 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Canuck said:

A person walking, on snowshoes or on a snowmobile is outside. Presumably not breathing recurculated air " inside".  Ontario is the only North American jurisdiction to ban skiing and snowboarding.  Why not encourage fresh air? 

:icon_goodpost:

Skiing could have easily been left open, just means might be a longer line for the chair lift due to "social distancing", but if you have a face covering, which most would anyways, that is limiting the spread as well.

Minimize even more the number of people getting rentals at one time.

Keep the chalet closed or provide a drive thru type window for people wanting to order food from outside.

And bathroom use is limited by numbers, even plop a Johnny on the spot or two outside.

What else is there really.....

:crazy:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stoney said:

And bathroom use is limited by numbers, even plop a Johnny on the spot or two outside.

Is this a sound effects thing LOL

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, stoney said:

Skiing could have easily been left open, just means might be a longer line for the chair lift due to "social distancing", but if you have a face covering, which most would anyways, that is limiting the spread as well.

Keep the chalet closed or provide a drive thru type window for people wanting to order food from outside.

Masks on lifts-damp scarves are no good!

38 minutes ago, Muskoka1 said:

Masks on lifts-damp scarves are no good!

You are outside so no mask needed but many wear something over their face anyways and only ride chair lift with your family unit, hence the longer lift lines. 
That was the rule for our ski group IF we were hitting the hills, plus a bunch of others until the lock down crap happened and ended that. 

Edit....Here is what was shared with us regarding the mask:

Masks

1. Both staff and guests will be required to wear masks or face coverings at all times in lift lines, loading the chair, riding on the chair, unloading from the chair, within buildings and are recommended when walking on the property. Appropriate masks and face coverings are defined as any double layer material that covers the nose and mouth adequately. Please make sure your Balaclava does not have a mouth hole. Due to the mandated face coverings, lift corrals can remain the same. Guests will be asked to ride only with the people they have arrived with (your bubble), no guest will be forced to ride with a stranger.

2. Please be mindful and avoid gathering less than 2m apart at Trail Maps, Intersections, Parking Lots and lesson flags. 2m is the approximate length tip to tail of adult skis.

3. We strongly encourage guests to respect the environment by bringing their own reusable face coverings (eg cloth mask, bandana, neck tube). We may have reusable masks for sale at the Boutique should you require an extra one. We suggest you bring a couple for each person in case they get wet or soiled.

Edited by stoney

7 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Im waiting for this to spill over to sledding.  IMO, its coming..

I am skeptical, MTO permit, the sport provides a huge tax revenue and it is an outdoor activity that you are essentially doing individually. I think they have put enough rules on it that it should remain on the essential list.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Wildman said:

I am skeptical, MTO permit, the sport provides a huge tax revenue and it is an outdoor activity that you are essentially doing individually. I think they have put enough rules on it that it should remain on the essential list.  

Totally agree.  :right_on:

The main reason for ski hills to be shut down was to prevent the influx of injuries into local hospitals taking resources away from other areas of the hospitals.

I get it though your outside doing an activity, but they had to draw a line somewhere.

Personally I think sledding is coming soon jmo.

11 hours ago, stoney said:

As I sit here reading this morning, I can see my local skihill is making snow. Do they know something we don't?

Would seem like a wasted effort to make snow at this point, seeing Ford is talking about tightening down more come Monday or Tuesday . And I read that there is talk of extension to the lockdown as well.

Local hill put in 26 outhouses, had the chalet set up for permit purchase with outside window and food orders I believe. Also no access to inside lockers, put your gear on at your vehicle. There was more as well but I don't remember all of it. 

Edited by Crow
Added info

12 minutes ago, Crow said:

As I sit here reading this morning, I can see my local skihill is making snow. Do they know something we don't?

Would seem like a wasted effort to make snow at this point, seeing Ford is talking about tightening down more come Monday or Tuesday . And I read that there is talk of extension to the lockdown as well.

Local hill put in 26 outhouses, had the chalet set up for permit purchase with outside window and food orders I believe. Also no access to inside lockers, put your gear on at your vehicle. There was more as well but I don't remember all of it. 

Ski hill is probabily getting emergency funding to make snow and keep some essential staff to do job. I am sure they qualify for latest round of curb payments for buisness. 

2 hours ago, gobills said:

The main reason for ski hills to be shut down was to prevent the influx of injuries into local hospitals taking resources away from other areas of the hospitals.

I get it though your outside doing an activity, but they had to draw a line somewhere.

Personally I think sledding is coming soon jmo.

Reducing injuries makes sense, but that same argument can be used for sledding, driving or workplace accidents.

Accidents happen in all these areas, I honestly have no idea the numbers, but I would think ski hill accidents cannot be that high, I know we usually do not see many when we go......but if you have more higher risk activities, greater chances for sure for more accidents to happen.

But we have all these hospitals for a reason as well that come at a very big price tag that we all pay for and I think not all of them are seeing the same higher numbers either.

1 hour ago, Crow said:

There is little to no new snow, if they do not make and stock pile, when they can open, they will have not much making for poor conditions, so I can see why they are doing this.....plus as mentioned, you know they are getting some relief from all of us whether some of us like it or not (tax money).

I agree with you, just wonder if still will make any sense at the end of the year. IDK. Time will tell.

Calabogie for instance apparently spent $300k setting up for covid alone, not to mention any other upgrades.

The type of business they are in, they need to hope for the best take advantage when they can, especially the climate we live in as of last many years.

I am hopeful they can open for Feb, their busiest month usually and go in April.

There has be a light at the end, somewhere..... :)

Went to the FMQC website and there is no notice there that the free weekend has been cancelled. 

Wondering if the local club is trying to discourage the influx of Ontario riders for the weekend?